The Moon on Scadrial?

AC12

So I went camping with some friends this weekend and as I sat out at night staring at the moon a thought occurred to me. I was thinking how the moon waxes and wanes when it hit me . . . Wax and Wayne. As far as I could remember that hasn't really been a specific mention of the moon of Scadrial. Do you think this is significant and there is more behind it, or is it just Brandon being clever with his words?

Scadrial doesn't have a moon. 

Vegasdev

How many moons circle Scadrial, i.e. when the planet was moved were the moons moved as well?

Brandon Sanderson

Scadrial has no moons. I think I let slip the phrase "he's mooning over her" somewhere in the third book, but that is just a translation quirk to English. These people have no concept of a moon. There is a very bright star patch, however, covering much of the sky—much brighter than on Earth.

source

"Wax" and "wane" just mean shrink and grow (respectively), or strengthen and weaken. They don't have to refer to the moon. I think the real joke is that they're opposites, like an allomantic metal and its alloy, one pushing and one pulling.

Brandon just likes puns. :D

Questioner

Does the name [Wax & Wayne] foreshadow anything that's gonna happen?

Brandon Sanderson

No. I named them that because the pun made me crack up. It's not meant to be foreshadowing. The fun thing about that pun is, Scadrial not having a moon, means that those words exist in their language, it's not part of the common parlance like it is here, so they don't get the pun.

source

Mike

Where are you going with the lunar allegory of Wax and Wayne?

Brandon Sanderson

There's no moon on Scadrial, and it just cracked me up that they would have these names that were a pun that they wouldn't get. [...] I came up with Wayne's name first and then I needed a name for the straight man he played off of, and the idea of Wax and Wayne amused me. I am easily amused by bad puns, Mike.

source

• Chaos locked this topic