[OB] Kaladin & Jasnah: the case for Political Marriage

ZenBossanova

For myself, all I am going to say that I am a part of a small minority in the fanbase that ships Jasnah with Shallan.  There are more of us than I thought there was, especially since Brandon did mention it on his twitter when asked about Shallan's attraction to Jasnah, but we are still very much a super minority.

These things tend to invoke seriously strong negative feelings in people though, so I should prob just leave it at that, just to be safe.

On 11/4/2019 at 4:36 PM, Enoshima Junko said:

For myself, all I am going to say that I am a part of a small minority in the fanbase that ships Jasnah with Shallan.  There are more of us than I thought there was, especially since Brandon did mention it on his twitter when asked about Shallan's attraction to Jasnah, but we are still very much a super minority.

These things tend to invoke seriously strong negative feelings in people though, so I should prob just leave it at that, just to be safe.

If she were working on attraction alone, I would not rule that out. 
But I doubt attraction, sexual or otherwise, is her highest consideration. 

On 3/12/2018 at 11:48 PM, ZenBossanova said:

Jasnah is going to want him to marry into her family. This will be important for the Kholin Dynasty survival and stability. It would not be wise to have someone so powerful compete for power, even if utterly unintentionally. History will be a compelling factor here for Jasnah. I am sure she knows of other great dynasties that collapsed for similar reasons.

Kaladin serves Dalinar in the end him not being married in helps their reputation.

36 minutes ago, Booknerd said:

Kaladin serves Dalinar in the end him not being married in helps their reputation.

How do you figure, @Booknerd ? 
I think the benefits greatly outweigh the dangers. I stand by my Original Post. 
Jasnah sees his potential, sees the benefit to the kingdom and Kaladin needs another oath, probably leadership related. 
Further, she will be aware of historical parallels that lead to trouble. Trouble that they can't afford right now.

14 hours ago, ZenBossanova said:

Jasnah sees his potential, sees the benefit to the kingdom and Kaladin needs another oath, probably leadership related. 
Further, she will be aware of historical parallels that lead to trouble. Trouble that they can't afford right now.

I am sorry but I still just do not see how it would benefit the kingdom in any way that is not already present

1. Bringing Vorinism to support the Athiest Queen Jasnah. 

A. Kaladin is not Vorin, he is agnostic

B. Kaladin is a radiant. If Vorinism has a problem with Jasnah for being radiant, so too would they have a problem with Kaladin

2. Kaladin is the man of the people and will bring the peasantry under Jasnah

A. there was never an issue with the peasantry to begin with

B. Kaladin is focused on bridge 4, and the soldiers under his command. He has shown no interest in helping the peasantry. That is Lift's schtick. He protects those in danger, but that does not equate social. 

3. Kaladin as a radiant will bring legitimacy to Jasnah's rule.

A. Jasnah is already a radiant, and royalty in line to the throne. She does not legitimacy from another radiant as she already is one, and there already exists precedent for her to take the crown. 

4. Dalinar and Jasnah will want to strengthen ties with a radiant, like Shallan with Adolin

A. Jasnah came up with the idea to help Shallan. She was hesitant to even float the idea pass, and was worried it would upset Shallan. She was ready to drop the whole thing. Navani is the one that took to the idea with a gusto and pushed everything forward. 

B. Dalinar already gave Kaladin lands under the Kholin crown. Kaladin is already tied to the Kholins. 

C. The structure Elhokar put into place already puts Kaladin under Dalinar and under Jasnah. Dalinar is High King of Urithiru and commands the radiants in relation to the war. The Alethi King (or in this case Queen) commands the Alethi. Kaladin obeys and is under Dalinar as a Radiant. Kaladin is under Jasnah in regards to the lands he now owns. 

5. Jasnah cannot rule alone as there needs to be an heir. 

A. Gavinor already exists. He is heir apparent to the throne. There need not be a king to help produce an heir as one already exists. 

So I still do not see any benefit to the kingdom, to Jasnah, to Kaladin, or anyone else from the two of them marrying. I just can't see what purpose it would serve that hasn't already been handled.

On 11/5/2019 at 7:36 PM, ZenBossanova said:

Kaladin does what Dalinar asks even when he totally disagrees(Except trying to kill Elhokar but Kaladin was supper high during that) It makes people think if: Kaladin is so strong why does he obey Dalinar, how much stronger must Dalinar be? if Kaladin is married into the family It's just a family tie that he's doing favors for them.

• Chaos locked this topic