Physical Colour is not the Fuel for Awakening *Mild WoR Spoilers*

Aonar

WoR spoilers:

Lifesense works on non-Nalthians, which suggests that it's less lifesense and more Investiture-sense. It's never mentioned, but I wonder if the God King 'detects' stronger on people's lifesense.

By "God King" do you actually mean TLR or something? Because I thought it was established in the books that Awakeners with a lot of Breath "detected" stronger.

Edited by Kurkistan

By "God King" do you actually mean TLR or something? Because I thought it was established in the books that Awakeners with a lot of Breath "detected" stronger.

I was thinking of Susebron. I don't recall Awakeners with a lot of Breath detecting stronger at all - the first time Vasher meets Vivenna in the Court of the Gods, she remarks that she normally wouldn't have paid any attention to him, and she only sees him when she turns around and stares at him. He doesn't detect unusually to her (admittedly untrained) senses, but he gives off a color aura strong enough to mark him as being of the Fifth Heightening.

Similarly, when Lightsong first sees the God King, he doesn't remark that the God King seems unusually strong in presence.

In summary, I don't recall Awakeners with lots of Breath registering more strongly to the senses. As far as I know, it's fairly binary - either you sense someone, or you don't (if they have no Breath). Can you provide a quote?

Edited by Moogle

I was thinking of Susebron. I don't recall Awakeners with a lot of Breath detecting stronger at all - the first time Vasher meets Vivenna in the Court of the Gods, she remarks that she normally wouldn't have paid any attention to him, and she only sees him when she turns around and stares at him. He doesn't detect unusually to her (admittedly untrained) senses, but he gives off a color aura strong enough to mark him as being of the Fifth Heightening.

Similarly, when Lightsong first sees the God King, he doesn't remark that the God King seems unusually strong in presence.

In summary, I don't recall Awakeners with lots of Breath registering more strongly to the senses. Can you provide a quote?

You may well be right, now that I think more on it... I was actually thinking of going back into my post and temporizing with an edit, but you beat me to the punch. ;)

It does seem odd, though, that there are only "drab" and "not-drab" modes here.

Thought: Was if it's a matter of "send- and receive-window sizes" on both ends? What I mean by this is that you can only ever "detect" X amount of "lifeness" from each person where X is the number of Breaths you have. So a guy with 1 Breath will detect the same things from a guy with 1 or with 100, but a guy with 10 Breaths would be able to "detect" 10 of the 100 in the second case.

The held Breath in this case would then be expanding your "bandwidth" as well as and/or instead of your sensitivity.

Thoughts?

Also, @Youngy: It's almost certainly Spiritual rather than Cognitive for Lifesense. "Connectiony" things tend to be Spiritual in nature.

Edited by Kurkistan

You may well be right, now that I think more on it... I was actually thinking of going back into my post and temporizing with an edit, but you beat me to the punch. ;)

It does seem odd, though, that there are only "drab" and "not-drab" modes here.

Thought: Was if it's a matter of "send- and receive-window sizes" on both ends? What I mean by this is that you can only ever "detect" X amount of "lifeness" from each person where X is the number of Breaths you have. So a guy with 1 Breath will detect the same things from a guy with 1 or with 100, but a guy with 10 Breaths would be able to "detect" 10 of the 10 in the second case.

The held Breath in this case would then be expanding your "bandwidth" as well as and/or instead of your sensitivity.

Thoughts?

Mistborn/Words of Radiance spoilers:

The idea of "send- and receive-window" sizes is intriguing. Definitely food for thought. I'm leaning against it not quite explaining why Vivenna didn't notice Vasher instantly (though that could be because she was untrained), but it would explain why the God King doesn't register as abnormal to most people's senses.

I wonder what the connection to bronze and copper in Mistborn is - being stronger with a metal as an Allomancer tends to give you more control. Stronger with steel means more control with Pushes, weaker with brass means you can't Soothe subtly and leave your targets feeling numb... does being stronger at bronze let you pick out Allomantic pulses with greater fidelity? Marsh being surprised at Vin's ability to use bronze so well so quickly implies that.

I can't recall it ever being remarked on whether people with more power like TLR registered more strongly to bronze, except in the case of the Well of Ascension (which is not really a person), which Vin 'heard' more strongly when she was closer.

I don't know if we can make a connection between whatever principles drive bronze and lifesense, though. Lifesense 'triggers' when someone is paying attention to you, though Vasher also detects Kaladin when he comes to knock on his door. How does it work? I approve of some notion of you noticing someone and it forming a Spiritual connection between you and them, which people with Breath can pick up on, but it doesn't seem to explain how Vasher knew Kaladin was knocking on his door, or how Vasher knew there was a spren following Kaladin around. Unless Syl made the same connections with Vasher that Kaladin did because they're sort of the same being (based on how Pattern counts as Shallan for uses of Stormlight)?

My thoughts are scattered on this, but you've definitely given me something to think about here Kurk.

Edited by Moogle

Found the quote about Drabs having no innate investiture. Not even sure if it is relevant any more.

Q:  Do all the humans have innate Investiture?
A:  I believe that they all do. I don't think that you've seen anyone without innate Investiture yet.  [Drabs] do not have innate Investiture. And on Scadrial they have the pieces of Ruin and Preservation in them.  And they do have it on Roshar.
Q:  Which Shard is that?
A:  You'll have to RAFO

• 6 months later...
  • Chaos locked this topic