Long Game 43: Under the Banner of Adonalsium

Seonid

6 hours ago, MonsterMetroid said:

Ok so it definately appears to me that whoever holds autonomy plans on obtaining the intent of the shard based on how quickly they moved out and placed an aspect. WOuld anyone like to share who is on nalthis currently?

Autonomy requires an aspect to take her Shardic actions, so her Vessel might just want to have the ability to take these actions and is not necessarily going for an independent win condition. Additionally, we can lynch her aspects, potentially gaining a charge of Autonomy's Investiture. @Seonid, would lynching an aspect of Autonomy give a charge of Autonomy's Investiture to the players who voted for it? Since Ruin can also destroy aspects by blowing up the planet, Autonomy is probably not our current biggest threat.

6 hours ago, TheYoungPyromancer said:

Odium:

I can act as an information-network.  I may learn the whereabouts of other Shards, which I can tell you. 
I can act as an information hub.  I can also probably be bribed by charges of Investiture to prevent you from being subject to scans/vote manipulation.  I also can act as the “mouthpiece” of various Shards.

Announcing that you might turn over the identities of Vessels to Odium isn't likely to make Vessels want to confide in you :).

While it is highly probable that Pyromancer is Survival, I would like to have more certainty before we start passing Shards to him or using him as a hub for information. If there's a hemalurgist out there, they can try to steal Investiture from him tonight. If Pyromancer is Survival, he wouldn't lose anything and the hemalurgist would gain a chargee of Survival's Investiture. This would require 1. There exists a hemalurgist, 2. Said hemalurgist doesn't get killed or roleblocked, 3. The hemalurgist is willing to target Pyromancer, and 4. The hemalurgist will tell the truth about Pyromancer's role. None of these are certain, but extra confirmation would be nice.

Yeah. I had to take a call, but I'm pretty much caught up on this cycle.

I kind of wish there had been a lynch, and I might have changed my vote to HH to prevent a no-lynch had I been paying attention towards the end. But that did not happen. I suppose removing somebody from this excellent game early would be a shame, but it does put a damper on discussion. I shall endeavor to make extra good analysis tomorrow to compensate for this.

Also, I kind of want to find something interesting to do with my RP character. Not sure what yet, though.

Did anyone besides Autonomy leave Silverlight? It may sound like a distraction, but I think there is information available that we aren't trying to find. I will volunteer that I did not leave.

Also, What has Autonomy's win condition been in previous games? We've talked about the other three freed shards, do we have a reason for concern over Autonomy beyond them having three or four votes on cycle two? (depending on whether the aspect also gets its vote doubled).

Hmm. that doesn't sound plausible for this game. Maybe they would have to vote for each living player? That would mean an 11 turn clock with the extra vote per turn with their aspect. Alternatively, they could have to create an aspect of themselves on each world. This I find even less likely as that means a seven turn clock, but is easily hosed by Ruin.

Ah. I misread the rules post. 

Autonomy:

Shardic Ability - During the Day Turn, you may use an action to have one of your aspects vote on any player. During the Night Turn, you may use an action to have one of your aspects which did not vote on a player roleblock a player on the same world as they are. Either ability may be used as many times as the Vessel has available actions, but each aspect may only be used once per Cycle.

Investment Action - The Vessel of Autonomy cannot invest in another player. Instead, they may use their action during the Day Turn to target the Shardworld you are currently on. You create a uniquely-named aspect of yourself that is invested in that Shardworld. Each Shardworld can only have one aspect of yourself invested in it, and you cannot invest an aspect into a Shardworld that has a Shard already invested in it.

bold mine

I read this as: the aspect only survives one cycle. I think they will need to have a living aspect on every world, which gives us six turns if we just let the aspects live. Also, please Kriss, if you get that far, wait to invest anything into Nalthis. Autonomy being able to harvest investiture from Nalthis and immediately spend it on extra votes would be bad.

One more theory about Autonomy and I'll get off this soapbox.

They might also have the win condition to outnumber the other three factions by using their aspects. This would provide us with more time before Autonomy became a threat. I'm still guessing it's the aspect on each world, which we can keep in check via the lynch.

@Seonid, Do the aspects on the player list count against the Adolnasium's Chosen and Standard of Harmony win conditions, because if that's the case it would be very helpful to leave a few of these alive.

Edited by livinglegend
Formatting

Day Two - Laws of Thermodynamics

One by one, the students massed outside of the Shard Lab, black silhouettes against a navy blue sky. Laser drills, plasma cutters, and more shone faintly in the dark.

One by one, they looked at each other. Dressed in somber shades, the camouflage of blacks and blues and browns and violets, they fell in formation, with an almost military precision. But underneath the uniforms lay a familiar nose here, some sparkly nail polish there. It was enough for some of the researchers to recognize each other and call out names, if they so chose.

But they didn’t.

One by one, they nodded to each other. Out there, under the trappings of their normal lives, they could be anyone -- friends, enemies, lovers -- but here, they were brothers and sisters in arms, united in their mutual quest for Shardic power. They would work together, for now, until they got through the containment cages. Then it would be every researcher for themselves.

Three laser drills hummed in unison as they carved a hole in the walls of the lab.

-------------------------

A figure that might have once been human stood on the desolate surface of the planet, dotted with a few odd rocks here and there, still littered with the bloodstains of Heralds long past. As it looked across the empty surface, something rose inside of it, awakened into a ravenous hunger by the evil and destruction that haunted the place.

Once again, the Vessel cursed that impulse that had made it take just that small handful of Atium beads. But now the cat was already out of the bag, and it was too late to stuff it back in.

For the first time in 24 hours, the Vessel released its tight grip on its Shard. It sighed in relief, watching swirls of black mist drift from its hands. Ohhh, that felt good. So good.

There wasn’t any sapient life here within a two-kilometer radius. It had checked. No loved ones here to accidentally destroy. And if there was anybody outside of that two kilometer radius, freezing their butts off in the cold night air...well, too bad for them.

The Vessel threw its arms forwards, grinning.

The boulder in front of it exploded in a glorious wave of heat, a cloud of smoke mushrooming up from where it had once stood. Tiny grains of rock rained down on the Vessel.

In any energy transformation, some energy becomes unavailable to do work, the still human part of the Vessel thought. Increasing heat increases the amount of disorder in a system.

Oh, to hell with all of that book learning. It was still traumatized by the memory of staying up for days in a row studying for its thermodynamics quizzes, AFR=mair/mfuel and PE=mg(z2-z1). What the textbooks had all failed to mention was how fun it was.

More, it thought. Yes, it needed more. It wanted more than just a simple test. It wanted to kick its sandcastle back into the nothingness where it had come from. It wanted to smash this planet into smithereens so fine that it would be raining rock dust on Roshar for weeks.

The Vessel’s grin stretched wider.

Braize went kaboom.

Mtc909lexbVXhfUXCgxJVx4GDAZkGgf5vmeMheQWKAyL0uGNTAmHsYFkzcesYwHNC6AUUj01XMtI2eB7xK58l7F9OP9Debnvb7QtFA2_ycQMDADUDj5jqeSs4rHDvvj2AmVKDiWs

General announcements: Silverlight Polytechnic campus is on lockdown until further notice. Nobody will be permitted to leave until University Enforcement has determined to their satisfaction that they were not involved in the release of the Shards Ambition, Preservation, Dominion, and Cultivation. Any who attempt to interfere with the investigative process will be severely punished to the fullest extent of the law. Also, everybody indicted in this investigation will be charged as an accessory before the fact to the destruction of Braize and its entire ecosystem. And if your precious Student Union tries to interfere, we'll see how much they can get done with a revoked charter!

- Deputy Vice Chancellor Finn Scholz

The Day will last for:

cya_1521702000.png

Player List:

1. Young Bard - Jeral
  2. Arinian - Eilen
  3. Eternum - Habrian
  4. Fifth Scholar - Darrel
  5. randuir - Met
  6. Steeldancer - Steeldancer and Eobard Thawne
  7. Straw - Straw
  8. Jondesu - Quintus
  9. Droughtbringer - Ralar
  10. Devotary of Sponteneity - Reed
  11. livinglegend - Unnamed Character 3
  12. Orlok - Locke Tekiel
  13. MonsterMetroid - Willie
  14. Magestar - Moro
  15. Hemalurgic_Headshot - Jiamo
  16. Megasif - Mega
  17. Sart - Sam Taswell
  18. TheYoungPyromancer - Kelsier
  19. _Stick_ - Stick
  20. shanerockes - Philepe De Pedro Von Leiderhuch Johnson III
  21. Drake Marshall - Everen
  22. Elbereth - Elaria
  23. The Sand Lord (Nalthis)
Edited by Seonid

Yay! Nice* Shards were released! 

*some restrictions may apply *cough*DOMINION*cough*

Actually, this isn’t too bad. I’m kind of surprised Odium didn’t kill anyone last night, but I’m not really complaining. Ruin blew up Braize, suggesting perhaps a team that wants a monopoly on kill actions? I’m not sure. I need to read back through the old thread. For now, things look much better than they did yesterday, and if we can release the remaining three Shards tomorrow, we can finally worldhop to wherever we please.

So, unless I miscounted, that leaves just devotion and Honor in containment. The only thing I've got to say about our new releases is that Dominion is pretty nice for a coordinated elim team, as it's just extremely versatile. If I had been on team Hoid, I'd probably have prioritized this one.

Also, Braize exploded. If Ruin is taking requests, I'd like to see Taldain explode next or see Ruin be put back into containment, that's fine too. In fact, I'd probably prefer Ruin to get put back into containment or passed around for a bit of timer-reset, but I realize that might be a vain hope at this time.

Anyway, let's start my player-by-player analysis, starting with:

Young Bard

Starts by claiming that he's almost sure someone was lying, which is just a general odd thing to say if you're not going to explain it.

He's also focused a lot on the 17th's sudden death condition, but I wouldn't say that its harmful for the village, even if the past couple of cycles have proven this win-condition to be pretty unworkable at this stage.

There's one thing I'd like to ask him about (@Young Bard):

2. Huh. OK, then. Does anyone want to counter-claim this?

...Against my better judgement, Devotary, unless I hear a counter-claim. I do consider that my main piece of evidence, but if you were Khriss last time, then that explains that comment.

His comment at the start of the cycle about nothing having changed was your stated main reason to suspect him. How does him being Khriss in the Timeline-0 change this statement in a way that makes it less suspicious? I'm not really seeing how it makes it an less suspicious.

Overall, Young bard has been an active participant in discussion, and hasn't been afraid to push less popular plans. He doesn't seem to want to lie low, so I'm leaning village on him right now.

Eternum

Eternum has posted once to apologize for being inactive. @Eternum, could you join us again?

Steeldancer

Steeldancer said it better himself:

I can only be on for a few minutes, but I do want to mention something that's really really been irking me. I've said literally nothing useful, and because of that I'm not on anyone's radar. And that is the absolute anithesis of my usual playstyle. I keep looking at your reads and not seeing my name and being strangely offended:P it's my own fault becuase I'm focusing more on RP this game. 

I'd appreciate it if you could fix this, but I can understand wanting to focus on RP as well (it's what I tried to do in AG4). If possible, try to find a good balance. That having been said, Steeldancer did continue this particular post with a vote on Pyro, while trying to distance himself as far as possible form that vote at the same time, which is somewhat suspicious, I think. If you're spending more words on explaining why you don't want to vote on someone, then on why you do, then you shouldn't vote on that person.

There's also the claim that he forgot to submit an action N0 (or did he :ph34r:), which is just weird. It's probably something elim!steeldancer might have avoided saying just because it attracts the wrong kind of attention though.

Jondesu

Jondesu seems to be more passive than I've seen him in previous games, but he acknowledges this himself as well, which is either a clever bit of lampshade hanging (warning, tvtropes link) from elim!jondesu, or it's just village!jondesu acknowledging he's playing differently. Right now I see no way to tell the difference. His explanation for why he voted for 'no lynch' is passable, I think. it's quite possible he might have missed that the elim team could already have converted, thopugh I do remember pepople talking about this in thread.

Overall, I've got no real read on him.

Edited by randuir

I've been playing almost exclusively on mobile so far, Rand, meaning I couldn't easily go back and look through posts as I posted, and my memory (especially my very short term memory, oddly) can be weird, so yeah, I had legitimately forgotten. I'll 'fess up to trying to take a charge from Preservation last night, which led to it being released, but I'm happy to see Shards released and hopefully some fun will follow.