Where is the power coming from?

Solarserpent

Where is the Elendel basin getting its electrical power from? Coal and oil comes from organic materials, pressure, heat, and time. Scadrial was made by Preservation and Ruin recently, geologically speaking.  I guess the shards created the coal and oil when making the world but how scientifically minded are the Shards? They can see future paths to some extent, but from the actions of Ruin, and Odium, it seems like advanced scientific understanding isn't something they focus on (though Sazed does seem more inclined to this book learned approach).

Sazed definitely thinks ahead about technological progress. Didn't he once say "you should have developed radio by now" or something like that? I'm sure he provided for electric power when he remade the world.

Also, considering all the canals, there might be hydroelectric power.

A relevant WoB 

Cadmium (paraphrased)

You're in Houston, questions of Oil & Gas and energy sources will be naturally be bandied about.

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)

Naturally.

Cadmium (paraphrased)

Is the gasoline on Scadrial a fossil fuel or biodiesel?

Oh. Hmm. Well It's fossil fue... No. What they're using now is mostly biodiesel, I think. It's not something we really talked out.

Cadmium (paraphrased)

Ok, we had a whole thread on 17th Shard and even discussed how scientifically fossil fuels could have been put into place during the Catacendre.

Well, fossil fuels are possible, and I don't want to seem like I'm clearly giving credence to those that believe in a Young Earth, but Scadrial is a relatively young planet. Relatively.

Cadmium (paraphrased)

Young Earth doesn't bother me, though I know I'm not the majority.

Cadmium (paraphrased)

Where on Scadrial is it being produced? No mention of refineries in Elendel or the Roughs.

Where on Scadrial... Well it's... I'm going to have to RAFO that for now. It starts to touch on questions of the future as they will need more fuels for travel and they'll need to look for different sources.

source

25 minutes ago, kuiinteth of isaana said:

Who says scadrial is young? Do we actually know when it was created relative to era 2?

We're at something like 10-12k years after the Shattering, so Scadrial would have to be younger than that, since Ruin and Preservation created it.  That being said, Sazed could easily have created oil and coal and gas deposits as he was reworking the planet or any time after.

On 3/7/2018 at 2:14 PM, Belzedar said:

Sazed definitely thinks ahead about technological progress. Didn't he once say "you should have developed radio by now" or something like that? I'm sure he provided for electric power when he remade the world.

He says that and also mentions aviation to Wax in Shadows of Self (while letting slip the existence of the southerners), then in the next book VenDell and MeLaan talk about how he 'accidentally' mentioned movies. So yeah, he's thinking ahead and is actively trying to encourage the Scadrians to develop technologically.

• Chaos locked this topic