Feruchemy Hacking

Faceless Mist-Wraith

One of the downsides to Feruchemy is that it takes time to store certain attributes. But what about an attribute that you can manipulate? If you hold a hot pan while storing heat, can you charge a Brass metal mind faster than normal? And if you did do this, would it affect your tapping? Like if I were to stick my hand in a fire place and store heat, when I tapped heat would it be spread throughout my body or just my arm?

If this does work, in the sense that storing heat can be manipulated, can this be extended to other attributes? The only other one I could really think of that might work was weight, since you could potentially eat a great deal before storing, but even if this worked it likely would only give an incremental increase at best.

Yeah, it should work.

Thoughtful Spurts

If tapping heat means your own body gets hotter, does it also mean you become immune to hot temperatures so long as you're tapping it, or should you fill heat and grow colder for that to happen?

Brandon Sanderson

As everything in Feruchemy, you become immune to the effects of the ability only. Like weight doesn't crush you, but at the same time doesn't have a net gain in strength. Growing colder, however, would be more helpful in this regard.

source

I doubt you could store heavily enough to keep your arm from being burned without making the rest of you freeze... But if you were say... Sitting uncomfortably close to a bonfire, you should be able to store a bit more heavily than normal. 

36 minutes ago, Calderis said:

I doubt you could store heavily enough to keep your arm from being burned without making the rest of you freeze... But if you were say... Sitting uncomfortably close to a bonfire, you should be able to store a bit more heavily than normal. 

My idea of making storing heat easier is a sauna ;)

And the weight idea would work - after all you're storing your weight - but I doubt it would be noticeable.

It's not really hacking to feruchemically store body heat while sitting next to a fire, any more than a Subsumer storing excess calories in a bendalloymind after eating a big meal is. You're simply boosting or replacing your original native attribute while filling the metalmind. It's something even normal humans routinely end up with extra of.

One couldn't do this with every attribute, of course. In fact, those may be the only two (known).

1 hour ago, Drake Marshall said:

Similar to when Sazed was wearing glasses while storing eyesight. It increased the amount of eyesight he could store at a given time before it would hinder his ability to function.

I was under the impression that he did that for the reason that since he was storing sight, he needed the glasses to see normally?

4 minutes ago, Faceless Mist-Wraith said:

I was under the impression that he did that for the reason that since he was storing sight, he needed the glasses to see normally?

Yes, and this allows him to store more than he could usually do without impairing himself.

There are lots of ways to cheat: store determination while being rioted, store wakefulness or mental speed while abusing amphetamines, storing health after loading up on antibiotics (results would likely vary), storing eyesight while wearing corrective lenses (Sazed does this actually), storing thirst while keeping your mouth opened under water (drain a lake? Lol), I'm sure a more creative person could find a way for all 16 attributes.

• Chaos locked this topic