[OB Spoilers] Is Voidbinding just a form of fabrial science?

3 hours ago, Obvcop said:

We've only seen small glimpses of fused using 'surges', not enough of the different surges to make clear determination either way. I don't think it's enough to infer that what they are doing is exactly the same as our radiants surgebinding. I'd need to double check but wasn't there something odd about the floating fused?

I think there's more than enough to make a determination. I'm pretty sure surgebinding and voidbinding should be distinctly different in the effects they produce, as distinct as the differences between allomancy, feruchemy, and hemalurgy. While there are a few places where you could confuse someone using feruchemy with allomancy, it was fairly obvious in most parts with even a slight showing of the abilities which magic was the same. What the Fused are doing, which is so close to what we've seen of surgebinding, is more than likely surgebinding, as I find it highly doubtful that another magic system could create effects that overlap even slightly across multiple spheres. 

The only odd thing was that they seemed to accelerate at a different rate than Kaladin, but despite that everyone agreed that they performing basic lashings to fly. Likewise Szeth recognized that what they were doing was identical to what he had learned to do with surgebinding Abrasion, and the illusion performing how Shallan could. 

3 hours ago, Obvcop said:

Personally I think that the different spren the fused bond with are only able to provide one surge at a time but 'surge' is from the voidbinding chart. I think as the story unfolds we are going to see the difference between each of the 'surges' on the voidbinding chart and the surgebinding one

Nitpick on terminology. All surges are the same. voidbinding and surgebinding are just different means of manipulating the surges. Cal already covered the spren part. 

3 hours ago, MountainKing said:

I think that they are accelerating faster because they are using the gravity rate of Braize instead of Roshar rate(the rate acceleration that is caused by a planet pulling on something)

You are not the First to try this approch but to me It has no sense.

The Investiture usage is proportional to the effect generated.

So assuming for absurd, the Fused's units are the Braize ones and those are less than Rosharans. They could obtain the same effect Lashing 1,x times themself.

In the case I was unclear, I will clarify Better my point when I am more awake

• Chaos locked this topic