Question on Copyright Policies

Arash.F

Hello guys! Does anyone know whom I can talk to directly (eg. via E-mail) if i had some questions about copyright policies and restriction on using the contents and these stuff? I want to do sth, so I wanted to ask for permission and know if it's possible or not.

Can you be a bit more specific? There are works of many authors on Coppermind, so there's no single point of contact to ask about copyrights. In case of coppermind text, you should ask @Chaos, while images and other media content is owned by their respective creators and you need to find them.

Here's the copyright page of Coppermind, that confirms what I said: https://coppermind.net/wiki/Coppermind:Copyrights

8 hours ago, Arash.F said:

Hello guys! Does anyone know whom I can talk to directly (eg. via E-mail) if i had some questions about copyright policies and restriction on using the contents and these stuff? I want to do sth, so I wanted to ask for permission and know if it's possible or not.

What are your concerns?

Short version, you can use it, but you can't sell it. Citations are required that it is from the Coppermind. Don't copy+paste to other wikis. 

19 hours ago, Chaos said:

Short version, you can use it, but you can't sell it. Citations are required that it is from the Coppermind. Don't copy+paste to other wikis. 

And that applies only to the article text, for any art on the Coppermind you should ask the original artist (or Dragonsteel for official arts) and any longer quotes from the books themselves are Dragonsteel's rights

On 3/1/2018 at 7:57 PM, Chaos said:

What are your concerns?

4 hours ago, Joe ST said:

And that applies only to the article text, for any art on the Coppermind you should ask the original artist (or Dragonsteel for official arts) and any longer quotes from the books themselves are Dragonsteel's rights

On 3/1/2018 at 2:36 PM, Mestiv said:

Can you be a bit more specific? There are works of many authors on Coppermind, so there's no single point of contact to ask about copyrights. In case of coppermind text, you should ask @Chaos, while images and other media content is owned by their respective creators and you need to find them.

Here's the copyright page of Coppermind, that confirms what I said: https://coppermind.net/wiki/Coppermind:Copyrights

Oh that's OK! thank you all! I was thinking about translating articles for non-English fans (to Farsi) who don't speak English. Not selling, nothing commercial. Is there anywhere I can explain more?!! @Chaos can I send you a message? You got the time to read it?

We have allowed translation efforts before and so I have no problem permitting it here. Go for it! Just make sure it is clear where the original info comes from.

Also, good luck, as that's a huge undertaking, especially when there's so much work to be done in English still ;)

@Chaos

Oh so that's OK! I am alone, but I'll do it step by step. Cause doing anything about Cosmere makes me feel alive!

Can I make a forum for Iranian fans and post them there? (Iranian domain, in Farsi language, with mentioning all references and copyright stuff). I assure you that no article or even a paragraph will go unknown; with the exact link to the reference. There are many fantasy lovers in Iran, but only a few know Brandon, For instance, Tolkien, Lovecraft, Martin, Rowling, etc. all have hundreds of thousands of fans here. But even those few who have read one or two of Brandon's books are not Cosmere aware.

That said, and also, if you wanted to make a non-English version of Coppermind someday, I'm all in!