Something on Nicrosil

I think I am here.

Look, I'm not completely certain, but if a Nicrosil Ferring stores Investiture, then wouldn't actively storing it cause the Ferring to become a sort of 'living aluminium'? As in they wouldn't be affected by any form of Investiture because they would be storing it? So, say if someone was trying to use emotional allomancy on a Nicrosil Ferring, it wouldn't have any effect, and the Ferring would store some Investiture. And again, if someone was trying to use any form of investiture on the Ferring, it wouldn't work and instead would be stored in the Nicrosilmind. In this way, when the Ferring would call on their Investiture, they could manifest it in any form (Breath, Stormlight etc.) Brandon has said Aluminium doesn't project an Atium shadow, and so, following the same principle, this Investiture-sucking person would probably make for an awesome assassin, storing any attempts at Investiture against them and manifesting that in different ways as weapons. In that case, I wonder what possibilities would open up for a compounder. I don't know, what do you guys think?

Edited by I think I am here.

1 hour ago, Agent34 said:

So far nicrosil has only been shown to store Investiture in regards to abilities so not sure if this idea would work in-world. It's a super interesting line of thought though.

Hmm, your right, and since it is a really powerful ability, maybe the one I'm talking about can only be a thing for compounders. I'm imagining a someone trying to lash a compounder upwards, but the compounder absorbs it and channels the Investiture as breath, strangling the person with their clothes. It does seem cooler the more I think about it.

seeing how feruchemy is always internal. I don't think it will work, you always store YOUR speed, and YOUR strength, touching other people and the band won't allow you to store THEIR speed. like how you won't be able to store other people's investiture.

It would be interesting to see, but I doubt it. 

19 hours ago, I think I am here. said:

if a Nicrosil Ferring stores Investiture, then wouldn't actively storing it cause the Ferring to become a sort of 'living aluminium'?

Not exactly. When storing your innate investiture, you become more like a Drab.

20 hours ago, I think I am here. said:

So, say if someone was trying to use emotional allomancy on a Nicrosil Ferring, it wouldn't have any effect, and the Ferring would store some Investiture. And again, if someone was trying to use any form of investiture on the Ferring, it wouldn't work and instead would be stored in the Nicrosilmind. In this way, when the Ferring would call on their Investiture, they could manifest it in any form (Breath, Stormlight etc.)

Depends on the effect/power in question. Storing the Investiture in a Lashing that someone does to you might work. The Investiture is actually on you, so that could make it feasible. However, trying to store the Investiture in Emotional Allomancy being used on you will not work, ever.

• With a Lashing, you are invested by the Stormlight, and then it begins to effect you. The same with Awakening. The breaths enter the object(or person), and then the object starts to move(or you feel that euphoric shock). The time-gap between "invest target" and "begin effect" is minuscule, but it really seems like it exists(the big examples being awakening and throwing a full lashing onto a surface).
  • With Emotional Allomancy(and similar powers), it feels like the power is converted into another form before it effects you. When facing a Rioter, you don't get hit with Investiture that converts into sadness, you just get hit with sadness. That conversion happens before it hits you, because you aren't any more invested when you're being soothed/rioted than when you aren't(IIRC).
20 hours ago, I think I am here. said:

Brandon has said Aluminum doesn't project an Atium shadow, and so, following the same principle, this Investiture-sucking person would probably make for an awesome assassin, storing any attempts at Investiture against them and manifesting that in different ways as weapons.

I am almost certain that this will not work. Atium doesn't affect you in any way, so you can't absorb that Investiture. Drabs would still have an Atium Shadow, and I don't see how this would be any different. This power would also be useless, as your weaponry would still have Atium Shadows(Your Metalminds too).

• Chaos locked this topic