A suggestion from a 'shipper'

Kogiopsis

3 hours ago, Kogiopsis said:

(I swear, after this I will vanish once more into my crystal cave and sleep for another century.)

I really like this lead in, and your member title is awesome. But I do have one question based on this:

(p.s. for those of you not familiar with fandom shipping subculture, please note that adding a / between character names conventionally connotes a romantic/sexual relationship - hence the slang term 'slash'.  so unless you actually want to talk about Adolin/Renarin in that regard... maybe use a + instead?)

Shouldn't your member title be lightning/death's unholy offspring? Totally kidding, I think your points are really good, why people participate in a debate is central to why they might feel marginalized/attacked, and I think your breakdown is really insightful.

I really just wanted to reply because I liked the bits I quoted a lot. Funny stuff.

17 hours ago, hoiditthroughthegrapevine said:

I really like this lead in, and your member title is awesome. But I do have one question based on this:

Shouldn't your member title be lightning/death's unholy offspring? Totally kidding, I think your points are really good, why people participate in a debate is central to why they might feel marginalized/attacked, and I think your breakdown is really insightful.

I really just wanted to reply because I liked the bits I quoted a lot. Funny stuff.

Well, it's a quote from How To Train Your Dragon, so no.  But a broader answer in terms of how you would use / nomenclature in a sentence - the slash construction essentially functions in place of a singular proper noun, referring to the relationship itself*.  It's the precursor to the portmanteau ship names we have now - so Kirk/Spock became Spirk (to my great sadness, as they could have called it Spork).  

Technically, you could say 'lightning/death's unholy offspring'; syntactically it's not as pleasing to read, but it works.  I wouldn't do it, because that's not... an actual ship?  But you could apply the same thing to actual ships - if you wanted some silly speculation, you could start a thread titled "What might Wayne/Steris kids be like?".

(*a side note - I think some people less familiar with shipping lingo see things like portmanteau names as mashing the characters together, when really it's just... a proper name for the relationship between them.  For instance, I ship Kalarin - but calling it 'Kalarin' when I talk about it allows me to distinguish between talking about the ship, and just talking about Kaladin and Renarin as characters.  It also makes it possible to talk about Kaladin and Renarin's interactions without talking about the ship, because the ship has its own name.  Hopefully that makes sense?)

21 hours ago, Kogiopsis said:

(I also think 17S as a whole would benefit greatly from some just-for-fun ship positivity threads - let the people who feel strongly about a given pairing talk about it in a positive, sometimes silly way with others.  Plus, generating content like headcanons, fic, etc is the best way to get other people invested, in my experience.)

I would definitely agree with this. Just throwing in my two cents here, but my general experience with other forums is that having character and shipping threads split up so that there are two for any given subject works really well. ie;

1. [Ship/Character Name] Discussion Thread. For analysis, debate, pros/cons, etc.

2. [Ship/Character Name] Appreciation Thread. For the fans. A more lighthearted sharing of favorite moments, headcanons, fic, fanart, etc.

This allows for both in depth (hopefully balanced) discussion and a place for people to just enjoy their favorite things without having to worry about being "right," or having to defend their enjoyment.

It's the precursor to the portmanteau ship names we have now - so Kirk/Spock became Spirk (to my great sadness, as they could have called it Spork). 

And to the great sadness of mankind in general.

The rest of your post, while not as titillating, is nonetheless edifying.