Chouta like german Döner?

Gaz

I don't have the exact quote, but Chouta is described as meat in sauce with bread around. It immediately reminden me of the german/ austrian döner. what do you think?

As for the Döner, Argent is correct - it has Middle Eastern origins - specifically it was (largely) brought to Germany, IIRC, by Turkish immigrants.  It is thus similar to shewarma (more Arab) and the gyro (Greek version).  In my mind, I pictured it more as the later, the Greek version, as they are more likely to dribble a thick (yogurt) sauce that can get very messy all over it.  That and the Herdazian 'cousins' reminds me more of the stereotypical idea of large Greek families... But all this talk of Herdaz as Mexico makes me want to rethink that - I'll have to pay more attention on the next read through...

I always just imagined it as a burrito, or similar to the lettuce wraps that you get at P.F. Changs. Although, apparently it's chunks of meat in a meat sauce, wrapped around with flatbread. Screams burrito to me.

Which, combined with how the Herdazian speech patterns and general mannerisms seem to be inspired by their Mexican counterparts, suggests that Kaladin is, in fact, frowning upon a burrito. Kaladin, you heathen, you!

Kaladin would have a cow if he came to America. So much fast food around. In fact, when he's talking about how gross a chouta is, I instantly thought of it as an anti-fast food argument. Swap "Soulcast grain" for grease, and you essentially have the same argument. Kaladin, you health nut, you!

• Chaos locked this topic