Mraize's Trophies

Kyzkle

Hoid actually disagrees with what Helaran was doing.

"You have news of my brother Helaran."

The messenger nodded "He is a very determined young man."

"Where is he?"

"Doing things he finds very important. I would fault him for it, as I find nothing more frightening than a man trying to do what he has

decided is important."

(Emphasis Mine)

Not necessarily.

After all, in all his wanderings of the Cosmere, Hoid is obviously a 'man trying to do what he has decided is important'. And given the grand scale of events Hoid is part of, compared to the smaller scale events of Roshar, I don't think he'll particularly care what Helaran is up to.

Not necessarily.

After all, in all his wanderings of the Cosmere, Hoid is obviously a 'man trying to do what he has decided is important'. And given the grand scale of events Hoid is part of, compared to the smaller scale events of Roshar, I don't think he'll particularly care what Helaran is up to.

I agree with you here. I'd be pretty surprised to see Hoid meddling on the same kind of level that the ghostbloods have been.

• 4 weeks later...

Besides, you know, being in the title of the book. I'm sure it has no significance whatsoever.

White Sand is available in rough draft to read, though. I've read the first half or so. I'm pretty sure the sand is Invested; most likely by the sun that it's so close to.

Edit: Anyway, I don't specifically remember what gave me this impression, but I discussed it with my buddy who's more Cosmerically aware (is that even a word?) than I am. It sounded pretty good at the time.

Interesting thought. The Tears of Edgli are kind of special to the magic system on Nalthis,as is the sand in White Sand. Could be that he's not only collecting trophies, but tiny individual pieces of each Shard's power in some form? Haven't read Shadows but I wonder if he's got a vial of metals anywhere...

All just speculation of course.

Edited by WeiryWriter
please don't multi-post, use the edit feature

The metals on Scadrial are 100% normal and no different from metal you'll find elsewhere. There's no power in it.

Naturally, God-metals like Lerasium and Atium are the exception... and now I wonder if an alloy like Malatium is still just Ruin's Investure only with different programming or if the Allomancer would use both his and Preservation's power.

Ah, I kept forgetting to do this. Anyway, relevant quote from elantris re: twisted branch/Dakhor bones. Following is from Elantris *spoiler warning*

Quote from the reveal that the Dakhor monks are in Elantris.

A hundred torches winked into existence from within dozens of different tents. Hrathen frowned, and then his eyes opened wise as men began to pour from the tents, torchlight glistening  off bare backs.

Hrathen stumbled back in horror. he knew those twisted figures. Arms like knotted tree branches. Skin pulled tight over strange ridges and unspoken symbols.

• 9 months later...

Hey... Isn't Stormform described with having strange ridges under tight skin?

Anyway, here's my take.

•Sand is likely from White Sand (which hasn't been mentioned, but its now canon, as its being produced as a graphic novel).

•Flower is likely a Tear (it may not be "powerful" in its own right, but it is used in Investiture, much as metal on Scadrial).

•I agree the dagger is from Forests of Hell.

•I think the "hairpins" are hemolurgic spikes, possibly Kandra blessings.

•I'm unsure about the hair. It could be Iriali, or it could be Royal Locks (Vasher is on Roshar... Where's Vivenna?).

•I don't think the branch is a Dakhor bone.

•I definitely don't think the crystal is an Atium Geode.

Considering that we only just found out in Bands of Mourning about the Hunters that Iyatil appears to be a part of, so its not a stretch to say we may not have seen the crystal yet, canonically speaking.

Also, I do NOT buy Hoid=Mraize. True, they both seem to be collecting artifacts that pertain to Investiture, but that means little.

Hoid, although mysterious and mischievous at times, seems to be a white hat character (if you don't understand what I mean, in old Westerns, the good guys almost always wore white hats, the bad guys almost always wore black hats. Light side, dark side...). Although we don't know his intentions, he seems to be, especially in Stormlight, trying to encourage the heroes. If we get to the end of all this and it turns out that Hoid is actually a villain, I'll be heartbroken.

Mraize does not strike me as a white hat. He may not be a black hat, but I don't think he has any altruistic motives...

Well that was a slight necro. You can always start a new post if the topic you're interested in has died off...

I'd say they've covered everything, the only thing I'd question is whether the hair is Iriali or the royal locks- whichever one fits better in a collection of Invested Objects I guess. The "tree branch" definitely best fits a Dakhor monk bone at this stage, and the pink crystal is probably an Aether.

• 2 years later...

You just necro'd a topic that was two years dead to say something that multiple other participants in the topic had already recognized as far back as four years ago when this topic was started, including the last person to post in the topic. Necroing isn't exactly forbidden but it's generally polite to make sure you're contributing something new when you do it. Also, Brandon has in fact confirmed tha the crystal is an Aether.

Questioner [PENDING REVIEW]

Mraize's Basement Emporium. Is that more like a trophy room or a "In case of emergencies" room?

Brandon Sanderson [PENDING REVIEW]

So, yes. 

*mutliple people talking*

I mean, he can't use the Aether, right? He can't use the Aether, he doesn't have an Aether. But the sand, the sand does stuff.

source

Oh, and welcome to the Shard!

• Chaos locked this topic