BYU reading and sigining (Feb 23, 2017)

Finallity

I just attended the reading and I'm currently in line at the signing. It's a smaller event and I might be able to ask a couple questions!

He read from the first two chapters of Legion 3, which he recently finished and is just doing copyedits and small tweaks. It seems like he's moving the book towards a good end to the trilogy.

Let me know if you have any burning cosmere questions to ask Brandon, I'd love to uncover some hidden secrets.

My current question is: (Oathbringer Spoilers)

Spoiler

Renarin was blurred/blacked out in the diagram, at least for what Odium could see. Is this because of something innate to Renarin, like, who he is? Or is it because he was supposed to die according to the diagram? Or is it related to his corrupted spren?

2 minutes ago, Finallity said:

My current question is: (Oathbringer Spoilers)

Hide contents

Renarin was blurred/blacked out in the diagram, at least for what Odium could see. Is this because of something innate to Renarin, like, who he is? Or is it because he was supposed to die according to the diagram? Or is it related to his corrupted spren?

Not to sound cynical, but I'd recommend asking a different question. Yours has about an 11,000,000% chance of getting RAFO'd.

Edited by The Sovereign
Formatting.

I've got a few you could try.

• You've stated that Ruin's Perpendicularity (the Black Lake) had been moved underground by the time of Vin's birth. Was that lake somewhere deep beneath the Pits? How was it impacted by Kelsier destroying the atium crystals? Did people need to actually enter the pool to transition between realms or did they just need to be in the Pits themselves?
  • Was there a full manifestation of Investiture (magic system) on Threnody before Ambition and Odium's fight? If so, was it related to Ambition?
  • We've seen a number of human/singer hybrids (Unkalaki and Herdazians) and even human/Aimian hybrids (Natans). How is such a thing possible biologically or is there some outside influence there?

Those are ordered in my approximate interest level from most to least, but feel free to pick any or none that are interesting to you.

23 minutes ago, The Sovereign said:

Not to sound cynical, but I'd recommend asking a different question. Yours has about an 11,000,000% chance of getting RAFO'd.

Ha, I was afraid of this. I'm not looking to get a complete answer, maybe just a hint, or a nudge in the right direction. But yeah, at least 11,000,000%.

19 minutes ago, Windrunner said:

I've got a few you could try.

• You've stated that Ruin's Perpendicularity (the Black Lake) had been moved underground by the time of Vin's birth. Was that lake somewhere deep beneath the Pits? How was it impacted by Kelsier destroying the atium crystals? Did people need to actually enter the pool to transition between realms or did they just need to be in the Pits themselves?
  • Was there a full manifestation of Investiture (magic system) on Threnody before Ambition and Odium's fight? If so, was it related to Ambition?
  • We've seen a number of human/singer hybrids (Unkalaki and Herdazians) and even human/Aimian hybrids (Natans). How is such a thing possible biologically or is there some outside influence there?

Those are ordered in my approximate interest level from most to least, but feel free to pick any or none that are interesting to you.

• Do we have reference to anyone using the Black Lake?
  • In Arcanum Unbounded it references a magic system existing on Threnody before Ambition was even there. I can ask about an Ambition-based magic though.
  • I'm guessing your question as to this is whether or not all the sentient species share a common heritage that allows them to interbreed?

4 minutes ago, Finallity said:
  • In Arcanum Unbounded it references a magic system existing on Threnody before Ambition was even there. I can ask about an Ambition-based magic though.

As point of fact, as this is something Windy and I have argued discussed in the past, it does not say that there way a magic system in existence, just that there was likely Investiture present. While that could have taken the form of a magic system it could also have been something similar to the aviar of First of the Sun.

We just have reference to the fact that the Black Lake existed and that it was moved underground. If it didn't work like the Well did, it's interesting to understand why. I'm not really speaking of common heritage, as that appears basically biologically unlikely, I'm more hoping for confirmation that there's more to it than Brandon not caring about how biology works. That being said, the Unkalaki one is the one I'm least interested in of the three. Anything about Ambition-based magic would be cool to know.

They ended up limiting it to one question and I was actually fascinated by the Herdazian one. I asked and he said that they (humans and parshendi/aimians) can interbreed because they were made by the same person, or rather that they were made with the same intent, that they were made that way on purpose. They don't have a common heritage or anything though.

And no, I didn't think to record it! Dang, I should have thought it out a bit better. It was a brief event, he read for about 20 minutes, did less than 10 minutes of Q&A that focused just on writing techniques, and about 40 people were at the signing part of the event, mostly just casual fans from what I could tell.

21 minutes ago, Finallity said:

They ended up limiting it to one question and I was actually fascinated by the Herdazian one. I asked and he said that they (humans and parshendi/aimians) can interbreed because they were made by the same person, or rather that they were made with the same intent, that they were made that way on purpose. They don't have a common heritage or anything though.

And no, I didn't think to record it! Dang, I should have thought it out a bit better. It was a brief event, he read for about 20 minutes, did less than 10 minutes of Q&A that focused just on writing techniques, and about 40 people were at the signing part of the event, mostly just casual fans from what I could tell.

Interesting.  Think you could come up with his exact phrasing?  I'd love to see if there's extra nuance we can nitpick ;)

It sounds like Adonalsium made the sapient physical beings able to interbreed.  Very interesting.

Edited by RShara

11 hours ago, Brgst13 said:

Does this also suggest that the humans on Roshar are descended from Yolish stock?  Or did Adonalsium create humans on multiple worlds pre-shattering?

We don't technically know that Adonalsium created them, but we do know that Yolen was not the only world with humans on it pre-shattering.

Brandon Sanderson

Humans (other than those on Yolen) existed pre-Shattering, as did parshmen.

I've been told I should post my questions and answers in this thread. Here's @Finallity's as well.

Oathbringer spoilers

Spoiler

Screenshot_2018-02-25-18-54-15_kindlephoto-1656941014.thumb.png.21eaa318c0bfd9f9a95d603a73883af7.png

Spoiler

Screenshot_2018-02-25-18-54-22_kindlephoto-1656853184.thumb.png.c89ce2e6ca45e9d3c6c1941fee7b3084.png

The last one wasn't exactly what I was going to ask. I meant to ask if sense Ruin and Preservation came together, could more than two shards do the same? Could all the shards of Adonalsium reunite?

Edited by Tesh

4 hours ago, The One Who Connects said:

We don't technically know that Adonalsium created them, but we do know that Yolen was not the only world with humans on it pre-shattering.

Edit:

Nevermind, I completely misunderstood.  I should go to bed or something, huh?

Edited by RShara

On 2/25/2018 at 10:03 PM, Tesh said:

I've been told I should post my questions and answers in this thread. Here's @Finallity's as well.

Oathbringer spoilers

Reveal hidden contents
  Reveal hidden contents

Question, what exactly where you asking about with the DNA and blood type question?

Just now, WeiryWriter said:

Question, what exactly where you asking about with the DNA and blood type question?

Just how it works. We know there's eight different types of blood, but I had no clue how the DNA part works. Then he said that, and I realized it made sense that soulcasters can't choose the blood type.