[OB] Unity and Shu-Keseg

Mistspren

Question

I’m new to the forum, but I was curious if there is WoB on any connection between Dalinar as Unity and Shu-Keseg (by extension Shu-Korath and Shu-Dereth as well). Elantris mentions how Shu-Keseg preached unity, and the Korathi and Derethi preached unity in love and obedience, separately. Dalinar claims to be Unity after opening Honor’s Perpendicularlarity in Thaylen City, but most interesting is Odium’s response:

“No!” Odium screamed. He stepped forward. “No, we killed you. WE KILLED YOU!”

Does he refer to Adonalsium, Honor, or Devotion and Dominion? 

Some theories state that Dalinar is becoming Honor but his intent is Unity, still related to bonds. Others state Dalinar will become Adonalsium and unite the Shards. I personally like the idea that Dalinar swore three oaths, the 3rd, 4th, and 5th:

“Journey before destination,” Dalinar said. “It cannot be a journey if it doesn’t have a beginning.”
A thunderclap sounded in his mind. Suddenly, awareness poured back into him. The Stormfather, distant, feeling frightened—but also surprised.
Dalinar?
“I will take responsibility for what I have done,” Dalinar whispered. “If I must fall, I will rise each time a better man.”

And:

“I am Unity.”

I added bolding where I believe the paths are. “I am Unity” sounds like the fifth ideal, and when I originally read it, I thought both of the previous two sounded like oaths and couldn’t decide which was.

Dalinar may also be Unity as a shard in the future, or take up multiple shards, or an innumerable amount of other possiblities, but I can’t shake the feeling the calls to ‘Unite them’ and Unity are related to Sel, and likely Dominion and Devotion in some way.

Sorry about the long winded post, but hope this is good discussion fodder. Once again, if there is WoB on this that would be good to know.

5 answers to this question

Hoidonalsium [PENDING REVIEW]

In that one long rejection of Odium, how many Oaths did Dalinar swear before merging the Realms? And is "I am Unity" the fifth.

Brandon Sanderson [PENDING REVIEW]

No, that is not an Oath. He swore one ideal in that experience.

Hoidonalsium [PENDING REVIEW]

Okay. How many Oaths is he on?

Brandon Sanderson [PENDING REVIEW]

The number you think. So, he should have just finished three, right? Or maybe four. I'll have to go look. It's the number that you think it is. I'm not being sneaky on you. There's nothing sneaky there. He doesn't get armor, so I can't remember where he is... He should be at three. "Life before death." "I will unite instead of divide." "I will stand up each time I fall." Yeah, so he's done three.

source

I think a lot of us were drawn to the idea that Dalinar had chained multiple oaths together at the end of Oathbringer, but nah.

22 hours ago, Mistspren said:

Shu-Keseg (by extension Shu-Korath and Shu-Dereth as well). Elantris mentions how Shu-Keseg preached unity, and the Korathi and Derethi preached unity in love and obedience, separately.
Dalinar says "I am Unity" and Odium says "We killed you!" Does he refer to Adonalsium, Honor, or Devotion and Dominion?
but I can’t shake the feeling that Unity is related to Sel, and likely Dominion and Devotion in some way.

Timeline doesn't work. D&D have no ties to Shu-Keseg at the time of Odium's arrival because Shu-Keseg didn't exist yet.

Chris King (Miyabi)

And here is the last one for Sel: Does Shu-Keseg predate the splintering of Devotion and Dominion?

Brandon Sanderson

No, I don't believe it does.

On 2/22/2018 at 8:52 PM, Mistspren said:

Thanks, I was hoping it was the ideals, but Brandon probably wants to draw that out over time.

Bearing in mind that Brandon was also asked this about Dalinar's oath at the end of WoR and replied that he only swore one Ideal there in two parts (paraphrased) I think it's safe to assume that multiple Ideals being sworn at once doesn't happen, or if it ever does it will be so obvious that the narration will actually tell us such. Multiple sentences alone clearly isn't enough to be multiple ideals since Dalinar's done that twice so far. The Skybreakers seem capable of at least theoretically swearing their Third and Fourth together, but the Fourth doesn't actually count for purposes of Radiant progression until they've completed whatever crusade they've pledged themselves to, so it probaby doesn't truly qualify as an Ideal sworn until then. Just like Lopen saying the Windrunners' second Ideal didn't count until the Stormfather thought it would be funny he was ready.