New Announcement on Sanderson's site: Wax and Wayne 4, Skyward, Secret Project

PrinceDusty

If you haven't seen the announcement on Brandon's site yet- https://brandonsanderson.com/a-quick-update-on-my-writing-projects/ ,

1. Brandon has set aside the last quarter of the year for wax and wayne four,

2.the new secret project is a non-cosmere novella,

3. and he plans to use the remaining seventh months in the middle to work on skyward 2.

Really excited for Wax and Wayne 4, I just recieved the other three Wax and Wayne books in hardcover yesterday (i'd already read them, but it was like three years ago). I was hoping for something sixth of the dusk related for the secret project even though he said he wasn't going to do any more sixth of the dusk. and I'm excited for skyward too.

Edited by Prince Dusty

We’re listing that as “Secret Project” and it’s not anything you’re probably guessing. I’ll reveal it when the time is right, but for now, it’s not cosmere, and is not something I’ve talked about before.

Makes me sad that it isnt The Aztlanian. I was really hoping it was. It is exciting that it is some new idea he has though.

Given that I've loved all his non-cosmere works as well (hello Perfect State, hello Snapshot) I just can't find it in me to be disappointed that the secret project is something else. The fact that it's not something he's talked about before is the really interesting bit, as it has infinite potential to surprise us.

2 hours ago, Weltall said:

Given that I've loved all his non-cosmere works as well (hello Perfect State, hello Snapshot) I just can't find it in me to be disappointed that the secret project is something else. The fact that it's not something he's talked about before is the really interesting bit, as it has infinite potential to surprise us.

I just want it to be Cosmere related because I want to see more Shards. I want to see my theory on them either vindicated or rebuked.

Well, its good that he ended up being pleased with Skyward. I still hope this year can be used to clean the plate of a lot of stuff. If Skyward gets two books written this year, and W&W gets finished off, that is good. Hopefully he can manage to do something about Rithmatist or Alcatraz as well, during these seven months.

Brandon published Shadows For Silence in somebody else's anthology originally so writing for somebody else's anthology wouldn't stop him from writing a Cosmere novella if he wanted to.

I'm dissappointed it's not Cosmere but I'm sure it'll be great, I've liked Brandon's non-Cosmere short stories too.

I said in another thread, it might be a Rithmatist novella to give the fans an adventure and reintroduce the characters because that's basically a one-off story to non-fans. I don't think he can just drop the Azlantian down and say hey everyone this is a sequel to a non-cosmere book I wrote 10 years ago, I hope you like it. I still don't understand why it wasn't cosmere.

14 hours ago, Angsos said:

I said in another thread, it might be a Rithmatist novella to give the fans an adventure and reintroduce the characters because that's basically a one-off story to non-fans. I don't think he can just drop the Azlantian down and say hey everyone this is a sequel to a non-cosmere book I wrote 10 years ago, I hope you like it. I still don't understand why it wasn't cosmere.

Rithmatist was originaly in the Cosmere, but Brandon removed it because he didn't want Earth to be part of the Cosmere.  A lot of the magic has roots in Cosmere-style magic.  

Brandon Sanderson

Uh, Rithmatist started in the Cosmere. The magic shares a lot of its roots, then, in Cosmere magic worldbuilding. I split if off because I wrote the whole first book with it being in the Cosmere. I split it off, saying “No, I don’t want Earth to be in the Cosmere.” Even an alternate version of Earth. It just raises too many questions about the nature of Earth being involved in this. I want the Cosmere to be its own dwarf galaxy of which not even a dimension of Earth is involved. And when I made that decision, I broke Rithmatist off. That’s the only one I had written that didn’t belong, but it still has, so, it means that the magic is going to feel very familiar to you, uh, it’s going to feel like the magic of a, um, of the Cosmere. And Cosmere magic is based around, usually, human beings making a symbiotic bond with an entity made out of the magic. This is, kind of, one of the origins of Cosmere magic, and Rithmatist has, therefore, its roots in that. I’ve done some things since I’ve split it off in the outlines to distinguish it, but it’s going to have the same roots. So you’ll notice some things like that, that are similar.

source

In a way the Sanderson multiverse could go like this:

A magic universe where the Milky Way didn't get started but a Cosmere happened (all Cosmere stories)

A magic universe where the earth does get formed but the magic went there instead of the Cosmere (I guess Alcatraz because of the Cosmere Easter eggs)

A magic universe that's like the previous minus the absence of the Cosmere (Rithmatist)

A universe like the previous one but magic is wonky (Reckoners)

A universe with no magic or not noticeable (other stories)

• Chaos locked this topic