[WS2] Trell?

thegatorgirl00

This was brought up with the Prose version too. There's a lot of back-and-forth about whether they are tied or a coincidence. 

Personally I tend to think that Brandon being Brandon, things like that are never a coincidence. He wouldn't just HAPPEN to use the name twice.

If Brandon didn't want us to make that connection, he surely would have changed the guy's name or at least made his introduction less dramatic. Peter and Isaac are involved enough with the graphic novel to know how this will be perceived. I feel pretty confident assuming that he's connected to the Trell that's near Scadrial somehow.

Exactly how he's connected is anyone's guess...

Best explanation I can think of is that Autonomy used him when making an avatar of herself. That she either used his physical and/or cognitive being. We don't know how these things are made, but I can imagine it works by her handing a massive chunk of her power over to a secondary vessel of sorts.

My theory since the prose was that trell has a linguistic root, for example in the word mastrell, perhaps a meaning like artisan or master, and that is both why a man has the name (like some surrnames in real life come from the occupation of an ancestor) and that the Trell that appears to be an avatar of Autonomy has that name because it is actually a noun. The fact that the character Trell has now not only vein included but given more screen time makes me wonder if its more than that. But I'm still slightly fond of my theory :)

My theory is that Trell (and does he have a brother named Nalt?) becomes a worldhopper and goes to Scadrial and founds the Trelagism religion.  Autonomy co-opts this religion in Era 2 and turns it into Trellism.  She might have been watching the whole time, and followed the guy to Scadrial in the first place, and that's why she chose to use that religion.

1 hour ago, RShara said:

My theory is that Trell (and does he have a brother named Nalt?) becomes a worldhopper and goes to Scadrial and founds the Trelagism religion.  Autonomy co-opts this religion in Era 2 and turns it into Trellism.  She might have been watching the whole time, and followed the guy to Scadrial in the first place, and that's why she chose to use that religion.

I like this theory a lot!

Does a much better job fitting with the usual notion that Trelagism existed in its own right before Shard-Trell co-opted it.

It's odd that Trell (a Daysider) would be associated with the night rather than Nalt. Then again, this is assuming he left Dayside. Maybe he got sick of the sun. :)