Dayside technology in prose vs graphic novels

Jofwu

I haven't read the prose, but the recent White Sand Shardcast mentioned some points that got me wondering... What technology level does Dayside seem to be at in the prose? Both Kerzta and the other small nations. From the podcast I got the sense that nations like Lossand aren't very advanced...

The 2nd volume graphic novel did a bit more worldbuilding for Lossand (specifically Kezare) and seems to suggest a much higher tech level than I'd have expected. They seem to have electric lights and radios, if nothing else.

Sounds like this is something that changed from the prose to the graphic novel?

I don't remember any technology close to that level on Dayside in the prose.  IIRC, they were still using lamps and fireplaces.  Of course Darkside had gunpowder, but it was a relatively new invention  (in our world, firearms drastically predated electric lighting, much less radio).  I wonder why the change was made?

In-universe, Cynder and Acron argue over where Dayside fits in the intellectual framework that Darkside academics have come up with. They've got enough technology to forge steel, plus various applications of carapace that doesn't fit neatly into any classification we (or the academics) could use. They are however quite impressed by the airgun-crossbows. But electricity and radio is far beyond anything seen in the prose version, either in Dayside or Darkside. We know the latter has gunpowder but it's relatively new.

All that said, Brandon has told us that Taldain is currently the most technologically advanced world, so perhaps the change isn't a goof on the part of the adaptation but was a deliberate change to introduce this to the setting. Proof of Taldain's clear technological superiority is in this recent WoB where Brandon confirms where Hoid learned about instant noodles from:

Questioner [PENDING REVIEW]

What's the deal with Hoid and instant noodles?

Brandon Sanderson [PENDING REVIEW]

...He likes his ramen, right? Like any sane person, he likes his instant noodles. Nothing more than that.

Questioner [PENDING REVIEW]

...Has he ever had instant noodles?

Brandon Sanderson [PENDING REVIEW]

Yeah, he's had instant noodles before. They have them on Taldain, yeah.

source

His interest in Scadrial vis a vis instant noodles thus appears to be a result of no longer being able to get to Taldain for his fix.

15 hours ago, Weltall said:

All that said, Brandon has told us that Taldain is currently the most technologically advanced world, so perhaps the change isn't a goof on the part of the adaptation but was a deliberate change to introduce this to the setting.

Well, I don't think this change is required for that explanation. White Sand is the earliest story chronologically. Skip ahead to what would generally be considered "current" in the cosmere (Stormlight/Mistborn Era 2) and you're giving Taldain another couple thousand years (probably) of advancement.

Maybe I'm crazy... Should have taken some pictures as evidence. But I definitely got the sense from Volume 2 that there's some basic electronics. Their use doesn't appear to be very widespread for whatever reason, but you see them in the background here and there. Probably mostly in wealthier settings.

I'd also emphasize that none of this seems to startle or confuse the Darksiders, and they still seem to consider themselves more advanced. So it would seem that the technology of both "sides" has been bumped up. Hard to say how much though.