17th Shard, Are You Sick?

Chaos

(Totally stole this title from Feather when she talked to me about it)

Sooooo the site is being weird. I am super sorry. Everything seems broken. The buttons at the top? They don't click anymore. Rep buttons and other various images? Arbitrarily gone. Hilariously the logo vanished. It's been fun. As in, not at all.

There are few reasons. First is that there are the usual server issues, and yes, the site is being strangely slow.

Second, I am working with IPB to try and see if it is a software issue. So far, it doesn't seem to be, and something IPB did broke things. I'm really sorry about that. Please use this topic to let me know what things are broken.

I am currently on vacation in Hawaii, and so, I'm having difficulty doing the full tech support that I could do at home. So be aware that things may be a bit touchy. We're making sure the server is at least running, so posting will still be possible.

I'm going to continue pursuing my support tickets. I think the end game will be another server upgrade. Whenever that happens there may be a bit of downtime there, but it may be when I get back home and can monitor things more closely. And hopefully either the server upgrades will make the "fatal error" thing go away, or else we'll need more optimizations. Somehow.

Sorry about this; I don't really know what is fully happening.

Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but when I tried to sign in with a hotmail address for the last few of days I never received the verification e-mail. I had to use a gmail account to receive verification.

@kaos, I assume you've checked your Spam folder?

@Chaos, here are the things I see broken at the moment:

* Quick Reply box doesn't have the formatting bar on top. The typeface of my reply is monospace, and formatting shortcuts (e.g. Ctrl+B for [ b ]-tag) don't work.

* Unsurprisingly, quoting doesn't work in Quick Reply either. If I hit the

button, the site opens up the full reply window for me.

* In [Full Reply] everything works fine.

* Spoiler tags seem broken (can't expand them, though they were working earlier today / yesterday)

* Reputation up- / down-vote buttons are missing. They were present for the last couple of days, but didn't work.

* Thread icons / buttons are missing - the ones that indicate whether a thread has 1) no new replies, 2) new replies but is one the member has not replied to, or 3) new replies but is one the member has replied to. Forum and subforum icons are still present and functional.

* Stuff is missing from the right sidebar on the forums' homepage. I see [Recent Topics] and [Chatbox], Twitter is gone, and so is the widget with the current online Staff.

* The Messenger button in the top bar doesn't work - it's stuck in forever-loading state. I can, however, open my messages from an email link. Interestingly, the Quick Reply there works well.

Edited by Argent

There is actually a donate button on the About page, near the bottom. Certainly, if you'd like to help, that would be nice... It mostly comes out of my own pocket.

Argent, the sidebar blocks will be reactivated today. I do think overall my priority is on server upgrade though.

Icons for new replies are also back, but [Full Reply] is now broken (it looks like the Quick Reply I described, all plain text-y).

And of course server upgrade should be a priority, but you asked for a list of broken things, and list you got. :)

Also when I post a reply, the after-post view goes all green and HTML-y. A refresh makes it look normal.

Edit: It happened again when I posted this, so I screenshotted it. Message me if you need a copy of the image.

Edited by nikomis

I wonder if the plaintext edit boxes issue is specific to something outside of Chrome. I am on my laptop right now, and everything seems to work as it should (except for the page turning into a gajillion escape characters when I reply sometimes, but that's fixable with a refresh). 

This: http://i.imgur.com/vFVKMHX.png

Edited by Argent

Guest Monster Energy

You should make a more prominent donate button somewhere on the site; I'm sure there are lots of us that would be pleased to help pay for this server to have the resources it needs.

• 3 months later...

First of all: I havent found the appropriate topic and doesnt want to create a new one so I post it here:

As I tried to load the newest "Around the Cosmere June 16th" article my antivirus alarmed me about a Malware (URL:Mal2) found here: "hxxp://alnera.eu/1E3DC484.js?cp=www.17thshard.com" 

I hope that its just a script which is qualified by my program as a malware but I wanted to inform you. 

First of all: I havent found the appropriate topic and doesnt want to create a new one so I post it here:

As I tried to load the newest "Around the Cosmere June 16th" article my antivirus alarmed me about a Malware (URL:Mal2) found here: "hxxp://alnera.eu/1E3DC484.js?cp=www.17thshard.com" 

I hope that its just a script which is qualified by my program as a malware but I wanted to inform you.

Every link on that page is to 17th Shard, with exception to one to Tor, so I don't know how that'd be possible.

That has all the trimmings of a javascript injection attack. Since javascript is client-side, injection attacks of this nature happen through some malware/worm/virus/trojan/etc on the client system. Sounds like you could potentially be infected. I'd run a virus scan and a malware scan.