"Roid crush Hallandren!" Roid shouts as he smashes a chair against the floor, it shatters sending splinters every which direction. The hulking man looks to be nearly 7 feet tall with muscles on his muscles making his uniform seem comically small on his frame, well it would be comical if his face didn't have the look of pure murderous rage on it, bits of saliva and shattered wood on his gray drab skin.

After a few moments a confused look on his face accompanies a question "Which one hallandren? Me no see hallandren." A look of betrayal crosses his face as he glances at Marshall Amaranth. "Roid not like being Tricked!"

2 hours ago, Droughtbringer said:

Because we need to vote and the time is not working for me, I'll be placing a starting vote on Arinian as he has not showed up yet, and also was the last to sign up. @Arinian if you come online, and don't make a super suspicious vote, then I'll take my vote off of you. (Make sure to ping me though, so I can be sure to see the vote)

Also, if you're lurking, please come say something! If you don't have time for much then say "I didn't like some of "X's" posts, so I'll be voting on them" as it will at least keep you in the game, and that is more useful for us than having you die Cycle 2 to the filter.

Ohh... you shouldn't care about my vote cause I'm not gonna die even if I don't vote, because I GLORIOUS! And also because I usualy reading rules:

Failing to cast a vote on any cycle but the first one will result in death by sickness.

And anyway I will vote... hmm... Shqueeves, because why not.

Drought, this is your rules analysis disclaimer!

I think the elims might purposefully not put in an elim kill one cycle, in order to make all village Awakeners think that they blocked the elim kill. I've seen this strategy used in the past, to great effect, because it gets mislynches early and reveals all village roleblockers.

And my obligatory role advice:

To all sentries: you have the possiblity of scanning the player who gets elim killed and thus spotting the killer. There are two ways to go about this for maximum effect:

1. Scan players likely to pick up an early kill. Looking at the player list, the 4 players that I think are most likely to attract an early kill are Joe, me, Randuir, and Lopen--that is, unless the elims figure that there's too much of a likelihood of getting busted if they do kill a high-profile player.

2. Scan yourself all the time, If/when you get killed, you can disclose to the dead doc that you spotted X killing you. An Awakener can see that, PM a trusted villager, and the villager can reveal your killer to the thread without even disclosing the identity of the Awakener, The only snag I can see with this plan is that it relies on the village having an Awakener.

To all Awakeners:

1. Be generous with that roleblock, but don't be paranoid. Just because you blocked Jimmy and no elim kill happened does not mean that Jimmy was putting the elim kill in.

2. Elim vanillas tend to be the ones to put the elim kills in, with all else but roles equal, because they don't have another action to compete with putting the elim kill in.

To all Captains:

1. I personally would appreciate it if you canceled a vote today, just to see how many Captains we have running around, but that's your call.

To all villagers:

1. Stay active!

2. Stay paranoid!

3. Stay alive!

Drought, spoilers for the one aspect of the rules that you've already been spoiled with

And since GMs hate votes in edits, I guess I have to type up another post for my vote.

I just read the backlog and it looks like Rand beat me to the no-kill idea. Dangit Rand, but that also makes me trust you more. Also, I just had the thought that the Contribution Crusade won't be necessary this game. Every fish that isn't swimming will be sucked into the filter.

One thing that I'm not liking so far is that while there have been a lot of votes, there has been almost no discussion. Rand and I are saying stuff, but that's about it. I also am getting antsy about all of this one-vote-on-a-player business. Any elim could come on at the last minute and tip the vote onto a villager that they wanted dead. I get that nobody wants to be the one to put someone up for lynch, but we need to do it at some point. I'll drop a second vote on Arinian. He points out that he has no need to vote this cycle, but immediately after that he votes on Shqueeves for no reasoning as if he had to put a vote down. That looks like posturing to me, trying to follow the crowd and not stick out.

41 minutes ago, Elenion said:

One thing that I'm not liking so far is that while there have been a lot of votes, there has been almost no discussion. Rand and I are saying stuff, but that's about it. I also am getting antsy about all of this one-vote-on-a-player business. Any elim could come on at the last minute and tip the vote onto a villager that they wanted dead. 

I'm playing devils advocate here, as I do believe that we need a day-one lynch, but in the hypothetical scenario where everyone has 1 vote, and one person decides to swing the vote, that person will most likely be lynched unless they've got a very good explanation. Trading on a 1:1 basis is generally bad for elims.

57 minutes ago, Elenion said:

To all sentries: you have the possiblity of scanning the player who gets elim killed and thus spotting the killer. There are two ways to go about this for maximum effect:

1. Scan players likely to pick up an early kill. Looking at the player list, the 4 players that I think are most likely to attract an early kill are Joe, me, Randuir, and Lopen--that is, unless the elims figure that there's too much of a likelihood of getting busted if they do kill a high-profile player.

I'm not saying that this is a bad suggestion(depending on the elim team composition, you might either be right or very wrong), but whenever I see someone publicly make suggestions regarding protection roles (and this one is mechanically similar, in that you need to target the person you think will be killed) I become somewhat suspicious. After all, the elims would like to know who the sentries will target so they can avoid them, and the easiest way to do so is to convince them to watch someone you don't intend to attack.

I'm going to wait a bit longer with casting my vote, as I prefer to have as much information as possible before I do so, but have a vote tally anyway, people.

Vote tally

Coop(1): Lopen

Livinglegend(1): Bort

Arinian(2): Drought, Elenion

Lopen(1): Shqueeves

Joe(1): MacThorstenson

MacThorstenson(1): Ripplegyl

Shqueeves(1): Arinian

Yay game started :D and yet I'm once again not an elim and is it weird to be a good guy and want to be evil? xD yes I know, that's all quite ikyk so just ignore this part of my post lol

1 hour ago, Elenion said:

. Scan players likely to pick up an early kill. Looking at the player list, the 4 players that I think are most likely to attract an early kill are Joe, me, Randuir, and Lopen--that is, unless the elims figure that there's too much of a likelihood of getting busted if they do kill a high-profile player.

Buuuut then that gives them less times to scan other people before/if they die. :P don't make them waste their scans, man xD I'd say only scan yourself if you think you're likely to die on a given cycle. I know I can usually tell when I'm close to gettin it. And because I can see an elim suggesting this to try and avoid less scans... Elenion :P

Edit: darn you Rand ninja :P

Edit #2: and lolz I quoted the wrong part of Len's post (please forgive my stupidity)

Scan yourself all the time, If/when you get killed, you can disclose to the dead doc that you spotted X killing you. An Awakener can see that, PM a trusted villager, and the villager can reveal your killer to the thread without even disclosing the identity of the Awakener, The only snag I can see with this plan is that it relies on the village having an Awakener.

^ meant to quote that

Edited by BrightnessRadiant

Jeo slowly gathered up his dice as the others began to talk rapidly. He stayed quiet and thought through the people here in camp. There were a lot of newcomers, including himself. This whole division had been slapped together by a lot of people. As far as he had seen, none of them really knew one another.

"A spy, here, among us?" A tall soldier shouted out right next to Jeo’s ear. "This shall not stand! The long arm of the Idrian military police will apprehend this cretin and bring him to justice! And I, commander Jaaver, shall be the firm grasp of the hand of justice's long arm!" He spun on his heel towards Jeo and his new players. "You all have hereby been deputized into the search for this villain! Go forth, and report any suspicious or extravagant behavior to me!" Jaaver twirled about, and then fell face first into a mud puddle.

Jeo slapped his hand over his mouth to keep from laughing at the ridiculousness of it. Also, was commander even a rank in the Army? Who was this guy? He had also just deputized about a quarter of the small division. “I think past crimes mean I can’t be a deputy of the law, unless given, uh, amnesia for past crimes.”

“Wait, past crimes? You’re a criminal?” one of the soldiers nearby asked.

“Nah. I just ran away from a battle early on in the war. I’ve fought in loads since though.”

“A criminal, and a liar!” Jeo turned to see Mac pointing at him. He was holding up a piece of dirty paper, that had a lot of numbers and sign on it. “He said that we had a 50/50 chance of winning at Craps, but it’s actually 50.7 chance of losing!”

Jeo stared at the man, who continued to triumphantly point back. Jeo turned away, ignoring him. Salthis looked to be coming over to talk to him, and that would be a more productive conversation than talking about the concept of rounding. “Salthis, my fellow deputy! Want to help me convince the Marshall to give us his files? He knows who assigned which soldier to this division, so if we can find an infiltrator, we can use the knowledge of who sent them to find their fellows!”

Sarcoline, having been made aware by Gormund of the eventful game of craps she had somehow missed, shifted her gaze from Mac to Zaffer. Everything about him seemed a bit... drab. That is, aside from the finely woven scarf wrapped around his neck. It was in pristine condition, notwithstanding the splotch of mud adorning it.

"Nice scarf," the artist commented, "Where did you get it?"

--------------------

Thanks, Elenion. MacThorstenson's comment makes much more sense now.

As for Drought... why exactly are you avoiding knowledge of the rules? Just for funsies?

Roid was confused and angry. Everyone was ignoring Roid. When Roid smashes stuff no one ever ignored him before, but now they are. They all just keep pointing fingers at each other. But where is the enemy? Roid wants to kill the enemy, but everyone is wearing Idrian clothes. 

The others were talking about boring stuff, stuff roid didn't care about, maybe roid should get in a fight with someone that would be fun. Yeah he shoul.... Then roid heard it the word over and over and over again, "kill", Roid didn't hear much else but that word meant important stuff. Roid tromped over to the speaker @Elenion "You know who we should kill? Where is the enemy?"

------------------------

I'm going to try to do as much as I can in RP but two things I feel like i should bring up annnnnndd I didnt know how to do it with roid haha. The first is that I am concerned by how much opposition has tenatively been thrown elens way already, but BR and randuir do make at least plausible points on why the advice could be beneficial to the elims, so I can't judge much from this situation yet.

One part of elens advice did really alarm me personally and that was this.

To all Captains:

1. I personally would appreciate it if you canceled a vote today, just to see how many Captains we have running around, but that's your call.

I figure the only people that would really benefit from knowing the number of captains would be the elims so they knew how to guarantee a lynch. Also the way Elen brings it up nonchalantly like if you WANT to really reads to me that he doesn't want to bring to much attention to it and feels elim to me planting an idea out there.

Also just for a fun sidenote elenion used kill or some variant 13 times in his post so I think Roid would definitely be drawn to that :D

2. Scan yourself all the time, If/when you get killed, you can disclose to the dead doc that you spotted X killing you. An Awakener can see that, PM a trusted villager, and the villager can reveal your killer to the thread without even disclosing the identity of the Awakener, The only snag I can see with this plan is that it relies on the village having an Awakener.

"Say you are a sentry. You target me. At the same time, I targeted myself, and Joe targeted me. In total, I have been targeted by 3 people: you, myself, and Joe. You will see that I was targeted by myself and Joe." 

Sentries don't get to know which player took what action, if I'm reading this part of the rules correctly. This might not come up, but it's possible that a dead sentry will have two players target them the cycle they die. We should still probably lynch one of the players on the list, but it's just something to be wary of.

As the liar turned away from him, Mac stared back astounded. Looking around, he realized that no one else seemed to care. What happened? I released this extremely relevant information that could help us root out the spies, and no one cares?? Why wouldn't someone care? Unless, wait, what if they are all spies? And I'm the only loyalist! Oh no, they're coming for me!! I have to run, escape!!!

Wait. Another voice came from the back of his head.

Yes?

You're being crazy. Its been a half hour sense you last had a cookie. You are going through withdrawal. Eat one or two and look at this situation with new eyes. 

Oh fine. Mac reached into his pocket and ate two cookies rapidly, waited till he was calm, then looked at the situation again. I guess, accusing somebody of smudging a detail that would have only factored in at around 1000 games is a bit extreme. I need to wait for more information to accuse Jeo of being a spy. 

• Alvron locked this topic
2 hours ago, randuir said:

I'm playing devils advocate here, as I do believe that we need a day-one lynch, but in the hypothetical scenario where everyone has 1 vote, and one person decides to swing the vote, that person will most likely be lynched unless they've got a very good explanation. Trading on a 1:1 basis is generally bad for elims.

I'm not saying that this is a bad suggestion(depending on the elim team composition, you might either be right or very wrong), but whenever I see someone publicly make suggestions regarding protection roles (and this one is mechanically similar, in that you need to target the person you think will be killed) I become somewhat suspicious. After all, the elims would like to know who the sentries will target so they can avoid them, and the easiest way to do so is to convince them to watch someone you don't intend to attack.

The elim who would break the tie would have the entire cycle to prepare beforehand. Just drop in an analysis post near the end of the cycle about how a player would make a good lynch candidate, and you'd get a legitimate-looking lynch brought about by just one player. And since we don't go after people for causing mislynches, the elim could get off scot-free.

My protection advice just causes an IKYK. Will the protection roles target the older players or not? Will the protectors think the elims will target the older players, and so target other players? The elims get nothing out of it, but a newer protection role would get an idea of who the elims would be most concerned about.

2 hours ago, BrightnessRadiant said:

Yay game started :D and yet I'm once again not an elim and is it weird to be a good guy and want to be evil? xD yes I know, that's all quite ikyk so just ignore this part of my post lol

Buuuut then that gives them less times to scan other people before/if they die. :P don't make them waste their scans, man xD I'd say only scan yourself if you think you're likely to die on a given cycle. I know I can usually tell when I'm close to gettin it. And because I can see an elim suggesting this to try and avoid less scans... Elenion :P

Edit: darn you Rand ninja :P

Edit #2: and lolz I quoted the wrong part of Len's post (please forgive my stupidity)

^ meant to quote that

Since the elims would have no idea who the scanners are, they couldn't set their kills to avoid them. Every night, X players will be watched, where X is the number of village scanners alive. They don't know where the X is, so they're just as likely to hit a watched player as an unwatched one. The benefit of scanning yourself is that when you go, you'll know who attacked you, for a guaranteed 1 player for 1 player trade with the elims. If you don't scan yourself, you run the risk of dying without finding a single elim.

1 hour ago, MonsterMetroid said:

Roid was confused and angry. Everyone was ignoring Roid. When Roid smashes stuff no one ever ignored him before, but now they are. They all just keep pointing fingers at each other. But where is the enemy? Roid wants to kill the enemy, but everyone is wearing Idrian clothes. 

The others were talking about boring stuff, stuff roid didn't care about, maybe roid should get in a fight with someone that would be fun. Yeah he shoul.... Then roid heard it the word over and over and over again, "kill", Roid didn't hear much else but that word meant important stuff. Roid tromped over to the speaker @Elenion "You know who we should kill? Where is the enemy?"

------------------------

I'm going to try to do as much as I can in RP but two things I feel like i should bring up annnnnndd I didnt know how to do it with roid haha. The first is that I am concerned by how much opposition has tenatively been thrown elens way already, but BR and randuir do make at least plausible points on why the advice could be beneficial to the elims, so I can't judge much from this situation yet.

One part of elens advice did really alarm me personally and that was this.

I figure the only people that would really benefit from knowing the number of captains would be the elims so they knew how to guarantee a lynch. Also the way Elen brings it up nonchalantly like if you WANT to really reads to me that he doesn't want to bring to much attention to it and feels elim to me planting an idea out there.

Also just for a fun sidenote elenion used kill or some variant 13 times in his post so I think Roid would definitely be drawn to that :D

"Every one of us has our own enemies. Mine is old age," Gormund chuckled, "I'd say it's far more likely to kill me than some assassin in the dark. But for all of you young'uns, you are going to have to find those assassins."

I've been an elim many times before, and I've appreciated info on the number of vote manips more as a villager than as an elim. As an elim, you know how many are out there, but you don't know what they're going to do unless your team is outed, in which case you know that they're going to remove your outed players' votes. As a villager, if you see that there is 1 vote manip left alive and you haven't caught an elim vote manip yet, that lets you know that the lynches on suspects are going to need to be put together with one extra vote in case the vote manip is evil.

1 hour ago, Devotary of Spontaneity said:

"Say you are a sentry. You target me. At the same time, I targeted myself, and Joe targeted me. In total, I have been targeted by 3 people: you, myself, and Joe. You will see that I was targeted by myself and Joe." 

Sentries don't get to know which player took what action, if I'm reading this part of the rules correctly. This might not come up, but it's possible that a dead sentry will have two players target them the cycle they die. We should still probably lynch one of the players on the list, but it's just something to be wary of.

I don't think that will be a problem in this game. We have 17 players and only 3 roles, so I'd say that no more than half of the players in the game have a role in order to prevent there from being too many roleblocks and scans going around. That leaves around 9 actions per round. Assuming all actions are made at random, the chance that a given player picks up two actions is about 25%. There's a similar percentage for the chance that a player gets hit with no actions. To visualize this, that means that out of 4 people a scanner scans, they'll see 1 player receive no actions, 2 players receive 1 action, and 1 player receive 2 actions (the chance of 3 or more actions is very small). So if a player dies, that means they were targeted by 1 action at least, so the scanner has a 2 in 3 chance of seeing the killer as the only visitor.

@Ecthelion III, @livinglegend, neither of you have posted yet. Both of you have also been online since the start of the game, so it'd be nice if you could check in.

Also, I'll be voting Straw for now. His vote on BR was either because he missed that she'd already posted, in which case the fact that his only contribution so far is the one line vote against her doesn't exactly paint him in a favorable light, or he did see that, and voted on her for some other reason without explaining why.

His vote isn't the only one without any reasoning, but most of the others guilty of that have at least contributed a bit more to the thread than he has, even if most of it is RP (nothing wrong with RP, just try to combine it with some in-game insights).

I would like to state that I'm slightly suspicious of Elenion, but he's also one of the few players that has actually been contributing a lot to the game side of things, so it's not to surprising that some of the things he has said make me weary of him. Given that most of the players haven't done anything alignment indicative yet, I'd prefer to keep a potentially suspicious contributor in the game for at least the first cycle just to keep discussion going.