Chapter 4 Up

mycoltbug

Interesting to see that Marsh has his own religion as Sliverism.

I find it odd that Sazed, a Terrisman, is a god and has a mainstream religion but it appears that Terrismen are still in the role that TLR forced them into as servants. I'm trying to wrap my brain around what an Originator could be. I am assuming the term is just for the original Feruchemists but could it encompass Allomancers?

I'm also going to assume that Marasi is an Allomancer. We at least know her relatives that have been kidnapped are. I wonder if they are coming for her at this wedding reception.

My guess is that Marasi is going to get kidnapped in the next chapter or two, though she did just become a much more interesting character in my eyes.

As for the originators, I think that might reference anyone that survived the pseudo-apocalypse at the end of HoA. There would only be a few thousand people scattered about, and they had to rebuild the entire population of the world, so I wouldnt be surprised if thats how they are all related. Though, to be fair, it could just refer to the metal-born.

Also would Spook be the Lord Mistborn? I can't think of anyone else that could fit the bill.

Ok so first of all we have Josh and Mi'ch's weeding. How awesome is that! Then he refers to a religion called Sliverism. Is that a direct reference to our thoughts on Splinters and shards? I think so.

What a huge cliff hanger though for an fight to come about.

Is there something odd about me because I love Steris as a character? She's nuts, but I find her very entertaining to read about. A part of me is kind of hoping that somehow, Wax's marriage to her does go through.

I find it odd that Sazed, a Terrisman, is a god and has a mainstream religion but it appears that Terrismen are still in the role that TLR forced them into as servants. I'm trying to wrap my brain around what an Originator could be. I am assuming the term is just for the original Feruchemists but could it encompass Allomancers?

Where was that indicated? I know Wayne pretended to be a terrismen waiter, but I didn't get indication that all terrismen were relagated to roles like that.

As for the originators, I think that might reference anyone that survived the pseudo-apocalypse at the end of HoA. There would only be a few thousand people scattered about, and they had to rebuild the entire population of the world, so I wouldnt be surprised if thats how they are all related. Though, to be fair, it could just refer to the metal-born.

Also would Spook be the Lord Mistborn? I can't think of anyone else that could fit the bill.

I agree. Wax says “It’s only been three hundred years since the Originators, Wayne. We’re all relatives.” This definitely implies that it's a reference to the surviviors of the apocalypse.

And Spook must definitely be the Lord Mistborn. There are references to his "reign" in the HoA annotations, and he's the only known Mistborn from the books who survived to potentially have children. It would be very weird for "Lord Mistborn" to refer to a character we'd never even heard of before.

EDIT: Almost forgot, but could this be a Hoid appearance?

"The bride and groom arrived, and people rose to clap. Lord Joshin and Lady Mi’chelle; Waxillium didn’t know them, though he did wonder why they were speaking with a scruffy man who looked like a beggar, dressed all in black. Fortunately, it didn’t seem Steris intended to drag him over to wait with those intent upon congratulating the newlyweds at the earliest possible moment."

Edited by Mad_Scientist

"The bride and groom arrived, and people rose to clap. Lord Joshin and Lady Mi’chelle; Waxillium didn’t know them, though he did wonder why they were speaking with a scruffy man who looked like a beggar, dressed all in black. Fortunately, it didn’t seem Steris intended to drag him over to wait with those intent upon congratulating the newlyweds at the earliest possible moment."

I thought the same thing though it seems to obvious, but Josh and Mi'ch would make perfect sense to be around Hoid, being the admins of the site.

EDIT: Almost forgot, but could this be a Hoid appearance?

Good catch, I would say if there is no further reference to this in the rest of the book, it very well might be. The only thing that makes me hesitant to think it is Hoid is that we tend to see him in more low-key settings. A beggar at a ball seems like something that would stick out quite noticeably. I wouldn't be surprised if that guy was affiliated with the Vanishers in some way.

Where was that indicated? I know Wayne pretended to be a terrismen waiter, but I didn't get indication that all terrismen were relagated to roles like that.

The only time we have seen Terrismen is cross bred into Wax and Wayne. When Wayne wanted to disguise himself as a servant he went in Terrisman mode. I'm tossing an assumption out there though.

I don't know the names of the site admins - nice to know the back story on those names. :)

Originators must be the survivors. That's what I get for reading during work!

Edited by Adrienne

Good catch, I would say if there is no further reference to this in the rest of the book, it very well might be. The only thing that makes me hesitant to think it is Hoid is that we tend to see him in more low-key settings. A beggar at a ball seems like something that would stick out quite noticeably. I wouldn't be surprised if that guy was affiliated with the Vanishers in some way.

We see him in some low key situations, but the King's Wit from WoK is certianly not low key. :D Also, he was apparantly a rather notable storyteller in Warbreaker.

The only time we have seen Terrismen is cross bred into Wax and Wayne. When Wayne wanted to disguise himself as a servant he went in Terrisman mode. I'm tossing an assumption out there though.

I assumed he just wanted to switch to a different accent/nationality in order to make it harder to be recognized.

We see him in some low key situations, but the King's Wit from WoK is certianly not low key. :D Also, he was apparantly a rather notable storyteller in Warbreaker.

I guess I should rephrase my statement. It's not so much low-key situations, he just fits in better in those situations, and dresses to the role he is playing. A beggar at a ball would be a great way to to stand out. Every public appearance of him so far, either in Warbreaker or WoK, no one would find it odd that he was there, kolo?

I guess I should rephrase my statement. It's not so much low-key situations, he just fits in better in those situations, and dresses to the role he is playing. A beggar at a ball would be a great way to to stand out. Every public appearance of him so far, either in Warbreaker or WoK, no one would find it odd that he was there, kolo?

Ah that makes sense.

On the other hand, why would a minion of the Vanishers look a begger either? Hmm.

It's not as if the guy is dressed like a begger, he's just scruffy like one.

So why is [Lord Shewrman] here?”

“For the insult factor, Waxillium. Those who were snubbed will be even more aghast to learn that Shewrman was here. By including a few bad alloys like him—men and women who are utterly undesirable, but who don’t realize it—House Yomen is essentially saying, ‘We’d even prefer spending time with these people to spending it with you.’ Very effective. Very nasty.”

Assuming Hoid is the scruffy fellow, perhaps he is one of those "undesirables" due to his unkempt appearance and probably odd behavior.

Mad Scientist, you beat me to it! I was going to point that out as a possible Hoid sighting. It's just so perfect, the characters based on obsessive fans (don't you even deny it) talking to the original connecting thread. Who else thinks it's possible that they could have something to do with the Seventeenth Shard on Scadrial?

I'm pretty sure that Sliverism is the remnants of the Steel Ministry, though it's obviously gone through a few changes, which is to be expected.

And this chapter was hilarious. Balls, indeed.

I kind of want Wax to marry Marasi, but only if she can get over her fangirlishness.

Also, someone pointed this out in the comments on the chapter: Wax and Wayne. Teehee.

Lastly, Steris' name is similar enough to Sterrance that I can't help but see the latter when I think of the former.

I kind of want Wax to marry Marasi, but only if she can get over her fangirlishness.

Also, someone pointed this out in the comments on the chapter: Wax and Wayne. Teehee.

Lastly, Steris' name is similar enough to Sterrance that I can't help but see the latter when I think of the former.

Ryan wins.

I'm pretty sure that Sliverism is the remnants of the Steel Ministry, though it's obviously gone through a few changes, which is to be expected.

Well considering that it's House Yomen, I'd say that's a pretty good guess. Yomen clung to his belief in the Lord Ruler's divinity even after Vin killed him.

Also, Brandon needs to apologize for that cliffhanger ending. I really hate cliffhangers :D

I can't believe how long it took folks to catch that.

I found it a bit of a groaner at first, but it grew on me. It makes their names go well together, like Batman & Robin, or Sherlock & Watson

Is there something odd about me because I love Steris as a character? She's nuts, but I find her very entertaining to read about. A part of me is kind of hoping that somehow, Wax's marriage to her does go through.

I like Steris too. It looks to me like her and Marasi are both potential kidnapping targets.

“You are what you choose to be, Waxillium,” she said. “As for these people here, and choices made by House Yomen, I did not make these rules. Nor do I approve of them; many are inconvenient. But it is the society in which we live. Therefore, I make of myself something that can survive in this environment.”

She's just so hardworking when it comes to her responsibilities, and so far they don't seem to have given her any joy. I would feel bad for her if she goes the whole book without getting to have any fun. Plus, I don't think Brandon has pulled a romantic interest switcheroo on us yet in any of his books. Let Marasi end up with Wayne, he seems like he could deal with her fangirling better than Wax.

I didn't notice the Wax and Wayne thing either...

Really like Sliverism as a religion. good ol' Marsh.

just read the rest of the topic. I thought that it had to do with worshiping Marsh, who was an inquisitor (IRONEYES). No one would worship the steel inquisitors, but Marsh is another story.

Edited by lordofsoup

Really like Sliverism as a religion. good ol' Marsh.

just read the rest of the topic. I thought that it had to do with worshiping Marsh, who was an inquisitor (IRONEYES). No one would worship the steel inquisitors, but Marsh is another story.

Didn't they also say in one of the earlier books that people used to call him 'Ironeyes' because of the color, but grew uncomfortable with it because it could also mean Inquisitors? (foreshadowing I thought)

Didn't they also say in one of the earlier books that people used to call him 'Ironeyes' because of the color, but grew uncomfortable with it because it could also mean Inquisitors? (foreshadowing I thought)

It was a general nickname he used to have among the old crew. However, I was under the impression it was just because of he just had a generally intense/intimidating stare, the sort that unnerves people when he looks at you.

• Chaos locked this topic