Wandersail

There's Another Secret Project

67 posts in this topic

I don't know if anyone has posted about this yet, but there's a new "Secret Project" on Brandon's website that's 2% done as of right now.

After the fiasco of The Apocalypse Guard is everything going to be a secret project now? Honestly, I would get it if he wanted to go this route. Perhaps he is a little gun shy now and doesn't want to get people's hopes up and not be able to deliver.

Edited by Ammanas

I just noticed this and came here to post it. 

If it's a secret, it's probably not something on his upcoming project lists, which would take out Skyward sequels and TLM. Maybe Dark One, since he said he wrote an outline he liked for that recently. Or Rithmatist 2, since I know he wants to finish that up. 

Hah well I guess if we are dissapointed about a "secret project" and if it isn't what we expect its our own fault. If a author says he is writing a particular book/series and then says the project is on hold indefinitely, because their is some flaw the author can't figure out, then the onus is on the writer (not that I am interested in blaming Mr. Sanderson. I have nothing, but respect for him and being upfront and honest about things). It just seems more like a CYA thing...and believe me I work for a school district so I completely understand CYA.

Personally, I’m hoping for it to be the behind the scenes Marsh story he mentioned to me at a signing a couple months ago. It’s probably not, but I can hope, right? :)

EDIT: by the way @Dunny, you totally failed with your thread title. You should have named it “there’s always another secret project” ;) :lol:

Edited by Herowannabe

My get is it's nightblood(since he's more active), Wandersail(the novella) or he accidentally wrote Lost Metal

Ideally, it would be Nightblood, but it could reasonably be Secret Histroy 2, the Silverlight novelly, the Sixth of the Dusk followup, Wandersail, Dark One or something else.

I just honestly hope it's cosmere. Though if it turns out to be Rithmatist 2 I wouldn't be disappointed.

18 hours ago, Ammanas said:

After the fiasco of The Apocalypse Guard is everything going to be a secret project now? Honestly, I would get it if he wanted to go this route. Perhaps he is a little gun shy now and doesn't want to get people's hopes up and not be able to deliver.

Yeah I imagine it could possibly be this... especially if it is the "The Aztlanian"!

13 hours ago, Herowannabe said:

EDIT: by the way @Dunny, you totally failed with your thread title. You should have named it “there’s always another secret project” ;) :lol:

Oh man, you're right. I should leave thread naming to the professionals:lol:

I actually think its Skyward 2. He wanted to write a trilogy back to back, and mentioned that he might do that with Skyward. But after Apocalypse Guard, I think that he is worried about it not working, which is why he calls it a secret project.

Eh... I don’t know about that. I doubt he’s going to start calling all of his books in progress Secret Project #X just because Apocalypse Guard had issues. Anything that is a sequel or has already been previously announced and talked about will likely just be called what it is (e.g. “The Aztlanian,” “the Lost Metal,” etc). I suspect it’s something new or something that hasn’t really been talked about much (like “the Dark One” or the Threnody novel(la))

I believe its one of: Sixth of the dusk sequel, Silverlight novella or Silence Divine novella .. Threnody can’t be, since it is a novel

if done now and done right it could be available for late summer release, which means, 2018 will not pass without a cosmere story 

According to the state of the sanderson, this period was supposed to be reserved for the outline of the last alcatraz book.. but maybe he is doing them simultaneously 

21 hours ago, Angsos said:

he accidentally wrote Lost Metal

Well, according to previous patterns, this should be the follow up to Lost Metal. Mistborn Era 3, anyone?

2 hours ago, Herowannabe said:

Eh... I don’t know about that. I doubt he’s going to start calling all of his books in progress Secret Project #X just because Apocalypse Guard had issues. Anything that is a sequel or has already been previously announced and talked about will likely just be called what it is (e.g. “The Aztlanian,” “the Lost Metal,” etc). I suspect it’s something new or something that hasn’t really been talked about much (like “the Dark One” or the Threnody novel(la))

I think anything with a projected release in the SotS is probably out. I can, however, imagine something in the distant future that got moved up being called a Secret Project. If, for example, Brandon decided while outlining SA4 that he needed to write Nightblood first, there's a good chance he'd once to announce it in a blog post or signing rather than just have it unexpectedly show up on the progress bar, even though it's been talked about plenty. 

Best Case: Cosmere novella.

Worst Case: another YA series, since Skyward isnt working either.

Craziest case: Magic: The Gathering story treatment.

Most Disappointing Case: Skyward 2 is titled "Secret Project."

14 minutes ago, Pagerunner said:

Most Disappointing Case: Skyward 2 is titled "Secret Project."

So correct me if any of this is wrong, but Brandon wrote the Reckoner books for Random House publishing (who were expecting a new trilogy that was to be The Apocalypse Guard). Does Brandon still plan on giving them three books? Or is he just going to offer a apology and say one book, Skyward, is the best he can do until he figures out The Apocalypse Guard?

Nightblood seems like a long shot since all of his recent updates on that front seem to suggest we're not too close to a Watbreaker sequel. Best hope is that it's a Cosmere novella. 

14 minutes ago, Ammanas said:

So correct me if any of this is wrong, but Brandon wrote the Reckoner books for Random House publishing (who were expecting a new trilogy that was to be The Apocalypse Guard). Does Brandon still plan on giving them three books? Or is he just going to offer a apology and say one book, Skyward, is the best he can do until he figures out The Apocalypse Guard?

He referred to Skyward as a trilogy in the latest State of the Sanderson: https://wob.coppermind.net/events/313/#e8857

3 hours ago, Pagerunner said:

Craziest case: Magic: The Gathering story treatment.

My pipe dream is that he's doing something for Infinity Blade. That will never happen though, since ChAIR doesn't seem interested in returning to that franchise any time soon.

It's true Nightblood has been talked about alot but now we're getting into Part III of his story. We've had part one but II is missing. The only way I can see Nightblood being written later than sooner is if he, Vasher and or Vivenna have an adventure getting from Warbreaker to Stormlight Archive that is a biggest enough spoiler to keep it locked.

My guess on it is something we don't know about. I would like to think if it's something that's a known Cosmere, like Lost Metal and Nightblood, it'd be under that title unless he wants to surprise us.

It would be funny if it wasn't a single project but a bunch of small projects being done together that wouldn't warrant being on the list separately.

But could you imagine if Brandon decided to troll us all by having a book actually titled Secret Project one day after seeing it a few times?

I would say that this Secret Project is likely either something new or something he hasn't talked about in a long time, as was the case with Skyward. However, if it is something we already know about, I'm placing my bet on Alcatraz #6 since it matches up with his projected timeline from last year's State of the Sanderson:

The goal is to do an outline in early February once I have book one of Skyward done, then hand that off to Janci and let her toy with it a while before sending it back to me.

But let's be real, I am so hoping it's something Cosmere because I'm going through serious post-Oathbringer withdrawls.

1 hour ago, Draginon said:

But could you imagine if Brandon decided to troll us all by having a book actually titled Secret Project one day after seeing it a few times?

This would be hilarious and absolutely something I can see him doing.

19 hours ago, Glamdring804 said:

Well, according to previous patterns, this should be the follow up to Lost Metal. Mistborn Era 3, anyone?

Im hoping so @Glamdring804 ive been waiting on this one. it should be close to time to start it right?

I swore i read something about it being released late 2018..