Religions on Scadrial influenced by worldhoppers

Bork

So I was reading through the well of Ascension the other day, and I think that the religion of the Dadradah may have been influenced by Nalthian world hoppers. Here is the description of the religion when Sazed was pitching it to Clubs.

"They thought that art drew one closer to God," Sazed said. "They were most interested in color and hue, and they were fond of writing poetry describing the colors they saw in the world around them."

This sounds a lot like the religion of the iridescent tones practiced on Nalthis. For example, when Lightsong would go over the offerings every day, he would look at art, which were said to hold prophetic visions of the future, which the Returned were said to be able to see because of their ability to distinguish hue and color so well. Not only that, but they would sometimes get poems written in the artisan script, which is a language made up of different dots and colors. I think someone from Nalthis may have gone to Scaladrial long before the Lord Ruler lived and influenced an entire region with the religion of the Returned, and it changed over time into the religion of the Dadradah. Other thoughts, or things that would either support or shoot down this theory?

Edited by Chaos
Corrected spelling of Scadrial

Awesome catch. I don't have time right now, but I recommend reviewing the Cosmere timelines to see if the iridescent tones had been founded before TLR's ascension. I believe those dates are known to within a century or so. Considering how portable Breath and Atium are, I could see enterprising world hoppers doing serious business between the two planets...

Nice idea! In actuality it looks like it is the other way around. This religion influenced the iridescent tones religion in Warbreaker per Brandon's chapter 50 annotations in WoA. 

Also, the religion Sazed preaches here is one I decided to spin off into its own book, focusing Warbreaker around it. They aren’t the same planet, but I wanted to do more about a religion that worships art, and that was one of the initial motivations for Warbreaker’s setting.

Source- https://brandonsanderson.com/annotation-mistborn-2-chapter-fifty/

28 minutes ago, StormingTexan said:

Nice idea! In actuality it looks like it is the other way around. This religion influenced the iridescent tones religion in Warbreaker per Brandon's chapter 50 annotations in WoA. 

Source- https://brandonsanderson.com/annotation-mistborn-2-chapter-fifty/

I don't know. It seems to me that although in the real world timeline, Scadrial's came first. But we would still have to check the timeline. It might be different in the actual Cosmere.

It definitely predates the Iridescent Tones. I don't think that the Tones were literally influenced by Dadradah (just Brandon mentioning an idea he had which he wanted to explore in more detail, a la Lightsong being an exploration of an unbuilt idea from Elantris) but since we know Scadrial was tied into the wider Cosmere it's at least possible there was some influence. The books up through Alloy of Law were published in in-universe chronological order, so we can be confident in stating that Dadradah existed for at least four hundred years longer than the Tones, by working backwards:

Warbreaker happens at least a little time after Mistborn Era 1 and by implication from Brandon closer to Era 2, but let's just pretend they follow back to back for purposes of argument. The Tones' development can be traced back to Vo, who lived about three hundred years before the Manywar per Hoid's story, which itself happened about three hundred years before the events of Warbreaker. Thus the Tones are about six hundred years old. Dadradah predates the Final Empire, which means it was an extant religion at least a thousand years before the events of Warbreaker, giving it four centuries of lead time on the Iridescent Tones at absolute minimum.

Some religions lasted a few centuries into TFE (can’t recall if it’s specifically mentioned when Dadarah was wiped out) but I agree the Scadrial variant likely came first regardless for the reasons explained above.  

The most likely explanation is they are unrelated except as ideas Brandon liked.  

Another possible explanation is that they were inspired by the same root religion, if worldhoppers are involved.  

• Chaos locked this topic