**Fantasy Addicts Anonymous (FAA)** - A place for those experiencing Brandon Sanderson withdrawals. What do I read next?

The Fray

Hello Friends,

So, I recently finished every single Brandon Sanderson book and was quite please with myself; however, the negative repercussions of such an accomplishment is having to go back to readying fantasy written my mere mortals. In light of such a disheartening prospect, it would be great to gather a repository of books to 'tide us over' until the next Sanderson epic induces our next inevitable reading binge.

Any recommendations are appreciated, here are a few I have personally enjoyed, no sophisticated ranking system required, just what you have enjoyed within the fantasy/epic fantasy genres. Here is a link for the series on my 'Plan to Read' list, ill continue to update it: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1EGd6CiPTxXp4o_ew9PWfZC0-ODjU3becGgdcF_E69UA/edit#gid=0&range=B2

Throne of Glass Series - Sarah J. Maas: Not a huge fan of the never-ending relationship drama, but seriously some of the most epic and incredible fantasy I have every read

Inheritance Cycle - Christopher Paolini: Perhaps not the most ground-breaking or unique storyline, but I had lots of fun getting through this one

The Broken Empire Trilogy - Mark Lawrence: Much darker and grittier, but a unique enjoyable series

Temeraire - Naomi Novik: Cool blend of alternative history and fantasy, really enjoyed remembering some of my High School history of the Napoleonic wars

Malazan Book of the Fallen - Steven Erikson: If you can finish this series, you have the stamina of a spartan. Almost too epic and all-immersive... if that's possible haha.

What say you?

Edited by The Fray

Right now i'm reading Crown of Stars, by Kate Elliott. I think it's replaced (or least equaled) Stormlight as my favorite fantasy series. I wouldn't recommend it to every Sanderson fan though, it isn't as heavy on action, and is a lot harder to read. But it has the same intricate plot, complex characters, and well for shadowed plot twists, and revelations.  The world building is really cool too. On the surface it looks like a standard alternate midevil  Europe, but it's way more imaginative, and detailed then similar series' like ASOFAI, or Realm of the Elderlings.                                                                             The Broken Earth series is another one, that to me almost equaled Stormlight. It' a whole lot like something Sanderson would write, only darker, more sex, and waaaay better written.                                                                                                                                                                                              I should check out Throne of Glass again. I got it from the library a few months ago, but then didn't read it cuz of all the bad reviews on Goodreads                           

Thanks AngelDeath, ill have to take a look at those, Crown of Stars looks espcially interesting.

Hmmm, im supprised by your comments on Throne of Glass. Sure, there are a few things that irk me, but like WoT, those things still didn't make me not thoughroughly enjoy the series. At this point I would definitely consider ToG a top 10 for me.

Edited by The Fray

That’s easy, you reread all your Sanderson novels! :D

Right now I’m rereading Steelheart as part of the Reckoners (Re)read Challenge for the Reckoners board game Kickstarter. The goal is to read (or reread) the entire Reckoners series before the Kickstarter campaign ends. ;)

But it you insist on having some non-Sanderson recommendations, then fine. 

Patrick Rothfuss’s Kingkiller Chronicles is really the only fantasy series that I have read that can stand toe to toe with Brandon’s stuff, though be prepared to wait for sequels. Book 2 came out in 2011. Still no release date announced for book 3. 

The Night Circus is a story about two competing magicians (real magic, not stage magic) who use a circus as their “playing field.” It is incredibly good and it really makes you feel like you are there, experiencing the wonder and magic of the night circus yourself. Can’t recommend enough. 

If you’re up for a fun Sci-fi read with lots of entertaining pop culture references, I have two recommendations:

1. Ready Player One. Imagine if World of Warcraft took over the world. Literally. The movie adaptation hits theaters next month. Especially fun if you are old enough to remember the 80s. 

2. The bobiverse trilogy. Same sort of feel as RPO. 

Just now, The Fray said:

Thanks AngelDeath, ill have to take a look at those, Crown of Stars looks espcially interesting.

Hmmm, im supprised by your comments on Throne of Glass. Sure, there are a few things that irk me, but like WoT, those things still didn't make me not thoughroughly enjoy the series. At this point I would definitely consider ToG a top 10 for me.

It's cuz i tend to shy away form anything with a YA label on it. So far i haven't read any YA that I'd put in my top ten.(maybe Earthsea) But that won't stop me from checking it out again. Just as soon as I'm done with Crown of Stars. Only two and a half books to go!       

On 2/16/2018 at 9:47 PM, Herowannabe said:

That’s easy, you reread all your Sanderson novels! :D

Right now I’m rereading Steelheart as part of the Reckoners (Re)read Challenge for the Reckoners board game Kickstarter. The goal is to read (or reread) the entire Reckoners series before the Kickstarter campaign ends. ;)

But it you insist on having some non-Sanderson recommendations, then fine. 

Patrick Rothfuss’s Kingkiller Chronicles is really the only fantasy series that I have read that can stand toe to toe with Brandon’s stuff, though be prepared to wait for sequels. Book 2 came out in 2011. Still no release date announced for book 3. 

The Night Circus is a story about two competing magicians (real magic, not stage magic) who use a circus as their “playing field.” It is incredibly good and it really makes you feel like you are there, experiencing the wonder and magic of the night circus yourself. Can’t recommend enough. 

If you’re up for a fun Sci-fi read with lots of entertaining pop culture references, I have two recommendations:

1. Ready Player One. Imagine if World of Warcraft took over the world. Literally. The movie adaptation hits theaters next month. Especially fun if you are old enough to remember the 80s. 

2. The bobiverse trilogy. Same sort of feel as RPO. 

Haha well said. Dont tempt me, I am trying to broaden by fantasy horizons :P 

Cool, Ill have to add those few to my list and check them out. Ahh yes, I keep seeing the Kingkiller Chronicles show up, but I just cant stand when authers have huge inconsistent delays between books. Maybe ill read it once book 3 get a more defined release data.

On 2/17/2018 at 0:20 AM, AngelDeath said:

It's cuz i tend to shy away form anything with a YA label on it. So far i haven't read any YA that I'd put in my top ten.(maybe Earthsea) But that won't stop me from checking it out again. Just as soon as I'm done with Crown of Stars. Only two and a half books to go!       

Ahh understandable.

For me, most the stuff I like is that grey area between YA and A. 

Black Prism by Brent Weeks - I thought this book was solid, but I haven't started book 2 yet.

The Shadow of What Was Lost by James Islington - I am almost finished with book 1 of this series and I am really enjoying it this far! I will be moving right into book 2 and the last book is supposed to come out next February.  Also, Michael Kramer narrates the audiobooks so it feels like another Sanderson book to me almost.

Riyria Revelations series by Michael J. Sullivan - I really enjoyed  this series a lot and love the character growth with the main characters throughout the series.

The Legends of the First Empire by Michael J. Sullivan - Pretty enjoyable series though it is not completed yet, Only 2 books have been released out of 6.

I second the recommendation above for Ready Player One and the Bobiverse. Both are so entertaining to read! If you are into audiobooks, both have a great narrator.

If you play DnD at all, I would recommend The Land Founding and Dungeonborn. Its like a narrative of a campaign and both are really fun.

I also enjoy the King Killer Chronicles by Patrick Rothfus, but it's hard for me to recommend the series with book 3's release nowhere in sight.

Anyways, there's some recommendations from a random stranger who loves reading/listening to the fantasy genre!

16 hours ago, Kaladin al'Thor said:

Black Prism by Brent Weeks - I thought this book was solid, but I haven't started book 2 yet.

The Shadow of What Was Lost by James Islington - I am almost finished with book 1 of this series and I am really enjoying it this far! I will be moving right into book 2 and the last book is supposed to come out next February.  Also, Michael Kramer narrates the audiobooks so it feels like another Sanderson book to me almost.

Riyria Revelations series by Michael J. Sullivan - I really enjoyed  this series a lot and love the character growth with the main characters throughout the series.

The Legends of the First Empire by Michael J. Sullivan - Pretty enjoyable series though it is not completed yet, Only 2 books have been released out of 6.

I second the recommendation above for Ready Player One and the Bobiverse. Both are so entertaining to read! If you are into audiobooks, both have a great narrator.

If you play DnD at all, I would recommend The Land Founding and Dungeonborn. Its like a narrative of a campaign and both are really fun.

I also enjoy the King Killer Chronicles by Patrick Rothfus, but it's hard for me to recommend the series with book 3's release nowhere in sight.

Anyways, there's some recommendations from a random stranger who loves reading/listening to the fantasy genre!

Ahh cool cool. I forgot about a few of those. 

Where do you get your audiobook versions? I normally ready on my kindle, but a solid audio version would be great at times.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Anything by Shannon Hale is good. Especially the Goose Girl and it's sequels. I forgot what the series itself is called. But it is YA. And it takes a bit to get into the first book. But the second one and the fourth are my personal favorites.

@Herowannabe and @Kaladin al'Thor Oh man so glad someone else likes the Bobiverse! I am about to re-listen all of those. Have you guys checked out the Expeditionary Force series? They are great audio books and I think you would like them if you like Bobiverse. They are narrated by the great R.C. Bray. I typically switch back and forth between Sci-Fi and Fantasy too much of one genre wears me out. 

I also liked the Lightbringer series, Riyria Revelations and The Licanius trilogy (I cannot freaking wait until the last book is released) mentioned by others. 

I tried Malazan.. I know people love it just couldn't get in to it but maybe will try again one day. 

Another one I have not seen mentioned yet in this thread is the Powder Mage books. I think most Sanderson fans will enjoy these. 

Kingkiller Chronicals is awesome but honestly would tell anyone that hasn't read it to wait and see if Patrick ever finishes it. Otherwise you will just be one of the many fans that are driven crazy waiting without any end in sight. 

I am currently on the second Unhewn Throne book and enjoying it so far but have seen some mixed reactions from people here. 

21 hours ago, StormingTexan said:

@Herowannabe and @Kaladin al'Thor Oh man so glad someone else likes the Bobiverse! I am about to re-listen all of those. Have you guys checked out the Expeditionary Force series? They are great audio books and I think you would like them if you like Bobiverse. They are narrated by the great R.C. Bray. I typically switch back and forth between Sci-Fi and Fantasy too much of one genre wears me out. 

My wife and I were deciding between the Dungeonborn books and Expeditionary Force and went with Dungeonborn. We should finish this week and move on to Expeditionary Froce. Glad to see you like it! I am excited to get into it.

Powder Mage is also on my list to read soon. I hope to get to it after I finish what's out so far in the Lightbringer series. Probably in a week or two.

LIghtbringer series (the Black Prism, The Blinding Knife, The Broken Eye, The Blood Mirror) is one of my favorite non-cosmere book series. Its got a great magic system, world building, and character development. One of the harder things about it (to some people, not me) is the crazy short chapters at points. 

The Night Angel Trilogy (Way of Shadows, Shadows Edge, Beyond the Shadows) is also by Brent Weeks but its a great series. Assassins in training, magic, and a great story.

Abhorsen Series (Sabriel, Lirael, Abhorsen, Clariel, Goldenhand) Although i would read this as book 1, 4, 2, 3, 5. This series is pretty good. Old Kingdom is magic/no tech or weapons such as guns. Ancelstierre has cars, electricity, but no magic. The Abhorsen is like a reverse Necromancer, putting the dead to rest. Was a series i read early on and I have loved it ever since.

Enders game (Enders game, Speaker for the Dead, Xenocide, Children of the mind, Ender in Exile) Beans story (Enders Shadow, Shadow of the Hegemon, Shadow Puppets, Shadow of the Giant) is a Military/fantasy series I always recommend to people.

Lots of threads on books to read...

Lots of good books mentioned here.

Currently listening to Book 3 of Pierce Brown Red Rising Series and have really enjoyed them and I am not a big SF person.

I liked Peter V Brett's The Demon Cycle...He just finished the 5 book series.

Brian McClellan Powder Mage books are excellent

I loved Anthony Ryans Blood Song but hated the other 2 books in the in the Ravens Shadow series. His new Series Draconis Memoria is pretty good. Have enjoyed the first 2.

Michael J Sullivan's Books are all great.

Scott Lynch Gentlemen's Bastard series as good...As is Jim Butchers Codex Alera...

On 3/7/2018 at 2:02 AM, Farnsworth said:

If you like Science Fiction, which is almost as good, you might like Asimov. He's the Sanderson of the SF world. Not only are his books among the best ever written, but he wrote over 400 in his lifetime.

Hey,

I cant say I have really got into the SF space, always willing to get the genre a try. Are there any specific Asimov series that you recommend as the best?

Thanks

On 3/7/2018 at 3:10 AM, StormingTexan said:

I also liked the Lightbringer series, Riyria Revelations and The Licanius trilogy (I cannot freaking wait until the last book is released) mentioned by others. 

I tried Malazan.. I know people love it just couldn't get in to it but maybe will try again one day. 

Another one I have not seen mentioned yet in this thread is the Powder Mage books. I think most Sanderson fans will enjoy these. 

Kingkiller Chronicals is awesome but honestly would tell anyone that hasn't read it to wait and see if Patrick ever finishes it. Otherwise you will just be one of the many fans that are driven crazy waiting without any end in sight. 

I am currently on the second Unhewn Throne book and enjoying it so far but have seen some mixed reactions from people here. 

Im keep hearing about the Bobiverse series, I am going to have to pick that one up. 

Yes, just recently finished the Licanius series and thought it was great!

I would suggest the Gentlemen Bastards series by Scott Lynch. In particular, the first book "The Lies of Locke Lamora" is fantastic, a really fun amalgamation of a conman/heist movie with fantasy. Be warned, however, that the wait for book 4 has been depressing.