Names as shapers of people

I just noticed that the Aons in the names of Sellans (is that a word?) kind of define their personality! Raoden has lots of spirit, and Sarene is very witty. Maybe it is kind of like the nightwatcher in that you can name your child with an Aon and they will be Endowed with an ability based on that choice. I am new, so this is probably really dumb. What do you think?

10 hours ago, TheYoungPyromancer said:

I just noticed that the Aons in the names of Sellans (is that a word?) kind of define their personality! Raoden has lots of spirit, and Sarene is very witty. Maybe it is kind of like the nightwatcher in that you can name your child with an Aon and they will be Endowed with an ability based on that choice. I am new, so this is probably really dumb. What do you think?

I think this is Brandon making fitting names for his characters more than it is something magical. I can't prove this, but I feel like he would've had more of the story in place before he came up with most of the Aon definitions.

You're one of the first to make this connection in a long time(if at all), so good on you.

6 minutes ago, TheYoungPyromancer said:

Thanks! I'll look at other Elantris characters to check if this holds true further. It does fit Endowment's intent.

Endowment isn't on Sel though. She's the Shard on Nalthis, which is the world of Warbreaker.

The Shards on Sel are Devotion and Dominion.

• 4 months later...
On 13/2/2018 at 9:39 PM, Snipexe said:

So, if you read the elantris annotations, it states that originally all of the characters were going to be based around aons, however decided against it. He left Sarene and Raoden. 

I'm not sure about it, there is not only Sarene and Raoden.

EDA - Superior, lofty - Edan - Pretends to be superior, he is not.

IAL - Helpfulness, aid - Roial - Of course.

IEN - Wisdom - Adien - Not as we initially thought, but he has wisdom

KII - Justice - Kiin - Legitimate King of Teod. This one is really clear

OMI - Love - Domi

REO - Punishment, retribution - Dreok Crushthroat - The punishment to Eventeo for taking the crown

RII - Wealth, Affluence - Telrii - Of course.

TEO - Royal, Majestic - Eventeo - King of TEOd  

1 hour ago, miki716 said:

OMI - Love - Domi

REO - Punishment, retribution - Dreok Crushthroat - The punishment to Eventeo for taking the crown

Cool

On 6/21/2018 at 8:25 AM, miki716 said:

OMI - Love - Domi

Since Dreok Crushthroat was a name given to himself, I don't think that's a good example. He wanted to bring retribution, so he named himself after that. I also think Domi was named that way because it's supposed to be loving and accepting, or that the word Omi was derived from Domi, instead of the first practitioners of Shu-Korath deciding it should be loving and accepting because it has Omi in its name.

5 hours ago, Arraenae said:

or that the word Omi was derived from Domi

Brandon's given us that history lesson.

History and Use

Aon Omi is best known as the official symbol of the Korathi church in Arelon. It was chosen by Korath (known as KoWho in JinDo) himself to represent the church and God. Scholars of the time say that Korath made the decision late in his life, after decades spent preaching his interpretations of the tenets of Shu-Keseg (which eventually became the Korathi religion) in Arelon and Elantris itself.

The choice was shocking to many, as the young Korathi devout saw the Elantrians and their worship as a competing religion. Their Aons, the basis for Elantrian magic an power, were then regarded as heathen symbols. Korath was always bothered by this competitive streak in his believers, and it is widely accepted that he picked an Aon to represent God and his religion as an attempt to show that all people were acceptable beneath the blanket of the Korathi doctrines. He himself called the Aon a “Thing of Beauty” and asked an Elantrian smith of his acquaintance to craft a silver pendant for him bearing the symbol.

That event, and the subsequent adoption of Aon Omi by the Korathi church, led to the odd relationship between the Elantrians and the Korathi religion which found root in their homeland. (Though, following Korath’s death, his right hand man and follower ShanVen moved the religion’s center of operations to Teod instead, where the young monarchy there had embraced Shu-Korath as its official religion.)

Over the years, many other Aons have been adopted by the Korathi religion, but this one–Aon Omi–has remained their most powerful and important symbol. It is used extensively in Korathi religious services, and pendants bearing Aon Omi are commonly worn by the devout. (Many simply call them Korathi pendants, or Korathi religious pendants.) Such pendants are commonly exchanged during Korathi wedding services. (See the end of ELANTRIS the novel for an example.)

Many Korathi priests now look at the use of Aons by their religion as symbol of the potential unity of all mankind, when different beliefs, sects, and cultures will be drawn together through sincere affection for one another.

Naming and Usage in ELANTRIS

As can be expected from its meanings, Aon Omi is a common root Aon for names in Arelon, particularly among those who follow the Korathi religion.

The most obvious word using Omi as a root is the name Domi itself, the Korathi word for God. This usage did not become common until the seventh century; before then, the Jindoeese name Dashu was used by the Korathi, and the Elantrians preferred a word using Aon Daa as its root. In an interesting exchange, the Aonic word ‘Domi’ eventually became a loan word back to Jindoeese, where the word DoMin eventually came to mean ‘god.’

Given that Omi was used to represent God centuries before Domi became the word for God, I think you have it backwards(unless I misread something)

• Chaos locked this topic