[OB] Cosmere Olympics!

RShara

Lets also list ways a character could cheat.

Still taking into account 

there's a larkin that sucks all the investiture from you before your turn, and you are given measured doses of your flavor of investiture--say 1 mark worth of stormlight, x amount of steel, etc.

6 hours ago, Thanatos said:

Lets also list ways a character could cheat.

Still taking into account 

there's a larkin that sucks all the investiture from you before your turn, and you are given measured doses of your flavor of investiture--say 1 mark worth of stormlight, x amount of steel, etc.

psshhhh! with some steel speed you can spike that dumb bird and steal EVERYBODY'S Investiture!

Edited by Storms!

2 hours ago, Storms! said:

psshhhh! with some steel speed you can spike that dumb bird and steal EVERYBODY'S Investiture!

I don't think that's how that works. Larkins appear to grow a little after consuming Investiture, so I think it's been used. You could steal the innate Investiture of the bird, but not much else.

@The One Who Connects I was referring to stealing its ability to absorb Investiture from people. I'm not entirely sure if that's possible or not, but I'm willing to ignore that for the fun of this thread.

Side note, Oathbringer spoiler:

Spoiler

The Larkin only grew when it stole the Voidlight from the Fuzed. Rysn seemed surprised that it grew as well, so I doubt it does that with Stormlight/other types of Investiture.

39 minutes ago, Storms! said:

@The One Who Connects I was referring to stealing its ability to absorb Investiture from people. I'm not entirely sure if that's possible or not, but I'm willing to ignore that for the fun of this thread.

Hide contents

The Larkin only grew when it stole the Voidlight from the Fuzed. Rysn seemed surprised that it grew as well, so I doubt it does that with Stormlight/other types of Investiture.

I think it would have to grow on stormlight, otherwise it would never grow to be lanceryn sized.  It just takes a lot of investiture.

3 minutes ago, Storms! said:

Food is Food. Larkins eat Investiture. It stands to reason that they should all work.

Brandon Sanderson
Excellent question, actually!

Nightblood, as I've written him now and as I intend to keep him, feeds of the investiture--but isn't really strengthened by it. Meaning, it doesn't matter to him what the food is, it's all just food to him.

Questioner
He's asking if a larkin is capable of pushing Stormlight into someone as well as drawing it out.

Brandon Sanderson
Ahhh, that's an excellent question. They actually feed on Investiture. Like some other people and things that you've seen. *laughter*

Spoiler

All her surprise means is that she hasn't seen her Larkin absorb any Investiture before then(at least, not in any significant quantity)

@RShara and @The One Who Connects I'm not disagreeing with either of you, it's pretty well established that they feed on Stormlight.

Spoiler

What I was saying was that the only time it instantly became noticeably bigger was when it ate the Voidlight from the Fuzed.

I think it would have to grow on stormlight, otherwise it would never grow to be lanceryn sized.  It just takes a lot of investiture.

Aren't lanceryn supposed to be either extremely rare or thought to be extinct? This would make sense, since there hasn't been much Voidlight around since the False Desolation

Edited by Storms!
Added spoiler tag

10 minutes ago, Storms! said:

Aren't lanceryn supposed to be either extremely rare or thought to be extinct? This would make sense, since there hasn't been much Voidlight around since the False Desolation

Lanceryn's went nearly extinct from normal hunters during the Scouring of Aimia, which is much more recent than the False Desolation. (This is also what was happening to the Chasmfiends, before the war left the plains)

10 minutes ago, Storms! said:

What I was saying was that the only time it instantly became noticeably bigger was when it ate the Voidlight from the Fused.

Unless I'm misremembering, the only time this Larkin has eaten any investiture(on-screen) is that Voidlight, so we don't have another Investiture to compare it too. Yes, there's the other Larkin, but... it only took a paltry sum from Lift back in WoR(about a donut's worth, IIRC). And Lift thought it looked frail and starved. It's perfectly logical for energy to be devoted to recovery before growth(which may have been why it was being starved, to prevent that growth).

What I'm saying is that growth from consuming food is related to the amount of food consumed, and I believe that this one consumed more.

Edited by The One Who Connects

16 minutes ago, The One Who Connects said:

Unless I'm misremembering, the only time this Larkin has eaten any investiture(on-screen) is that Voidlight, so we don't have another Investiture to compare it too. Yes, there's the other Larkin, but... it only took a paltry sum from Lift back in WoR(about a donut's worth, IIRC). And Lift thought it looked frail and starved. It's perfectly logical for energy to be devoted to recovery before growth(which may have been why it was being starved, to prevent that growth).

We see Rysn feed it a chip while she's waiting for the auditor. I could be wrong, but I think it ate a little down in the vault as well. Either way, Rysn is very surprised at the size difference after it eats the Voidlight. That's evidence enough that, at the very least, VLight causes much more growth than SLight. I wish I had the book in front of me to find the quote.

By the way, is it possible to move this conversation to a new thread? It's an interesting conversation, but I don't want to ruin a just for fun thread with an off-topic dispute. Especially since we're not on the OB spoiler board

Edited by Storms!

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/12/2018 at 11:40 AM, Leyrann said:

What about creating olympic sports specifically for different kinds of surgebinders, allomancers and feruchemists?

For example, for Truthwatchers and Edgedancers, who can grow the highest tree in X minutes? (of course, a requirement is that the tree should be able to hold itself without any Surgebinding or anything to keep it in place)

How about a blood maker competition? They would just keep beating each other until one faints.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/11/2018 at 11:40 PM, Katrina said:

Windrunners for ski jumping, and everything else to do with jumping. Edgedancers for a lot of things. Coinshot for javelin. 

Hmm. Do javelins actually have metal in them?

Yes, unfortunately (at least the ones I've seen) that metal is aluminum.