There might have been no swap. Taln might have just unsummoned his Blade, and Hoid planted a Blade on him so Taln's wouldn't be taken.

From Brandon's wording...it's unclear, but he says that the story itself is wrong somehow. Perhaps Syl didn't give the whole story about Honorblades or something? This is weird, the Hoid swapping theory seemed really simple.

You have a personalized book with an answer to a cosmere question? You can snap a photo of it and then just use the forum's built-in picture uploader (the My Media button). Or you could upload it to an image hosting website (imgur and flickr come to mind) and then just provide a link.

These are from the Lexington signing at Joseph Beth, 3/18/2014. Some of these may be repeats

Q: Is it true that humans can bond to multiple spren?

A: They can theoretically bond to multiple spren.

Q: So, is shardplate created as a result of a spren bond?

A: RAFO.

Q: (Brandon mentioned changing Kaladin's plot so that he chose the "hard" path) What was the hard path?

A: Kaladin initially accepted the shardblade and plate in the first book, and the rest of the book was about him fighting with them. Really boring.

Q: Are highstorms a meteorological or magical phenomenon?

A: Both. 

Q: Did the mistress from the interlude in book 1 destroy the Shalash statue on the night of Gavilar's death?

A: Yes, and also all the other ones that we've seen, including the one in Shallan's vision in Words of Radiance.

Q: Is the mistress Shalash?

Q: How many oaths can a Radiant swear?

A: There is an upper-limit/threshold to the number of oaths a Radiant may make. By the end of WoR, Shallan was a step higher than Kaladin. 

Not completely sure on this one: He said that at one point Shallan may have said all the oaths for her order (or may have been capable of saying all of the oaths by the end of the book) but has since regressed due to "memory loss/repression."  

Regarding Dalinar: He said that Dalinar has had a bond with the Stormfather "for a while." He also only said one oath at the top of the Urithiru tower, not two. Dalinar conveyed a single idea in that particular oath.

Brandon also clarified that the oaths, with the exception of the first ideal, are not restricted to specific words. Rather, a specific idea must be conveyed for the oath to be accepted. 

Not completely sure on this one: He said that at one point Shallan may have said all the oaths for her order (or may have been capable of saying all of the oaths by the end of the book) but has since regressed due to "memory loss/repression."

I imagine what he meant was that Shallan said at least two truths plus the first oath when she was a child in order for pattern to have become a shardblade. In tWoK and WoR she has said at least two more so should be a full radiant but lying to herself about killing her parents caused her to regress so some of the recent truths only raise her to level 4.

Regarding Dalinar: He said that Dalinar has had a bond with the Stormfather "for a while." He also only said one oath at the top of the Urithiru tower, not two. Dalinar conveyed a single idea in that particular oath.

I was certain already being bonded to the stormfather was why he was the one getting the visions. Glad there is now at least a little backing for my theory.

Brandon also clarified that the oaths, with the exception of the first ideal, are not restricted to specific words. Rather, a specific idea must be conveyed for the oath to be accepted.

That is really interesting. Guess it makes more sense though for the idea rather than words to create a bond with a cognitive entity. It's possible this is just Brandon's way of covering himself for changing the wording of oaths he has mentioned but hasn't put in print yet ;) Edited by Awesomeness Summoned

These are from the Lexington signing at Joseph Beth, 3/18/2014. Some of these may be repeats

Q: Is it true that humans can bond to multiple spren?

A: They can theoretically bond to multiple spren.

Q: So, is shardplate created as a result of a spren bond?

Q: (Brandon mentioned changing Kaladin's plot so that he chose the "hard" path) What was the hard path?

A: Kaladin initially accepted the shardblade and plate in the first book, and the rest of the book was about him fighting with them. Really boring.

Q: Are highstorms a meteorological or magical phenomenon?

A: Both. 

Q: Did the mistress from the interlude in book 1 destroy the Shalash statue on the night of Gavilar's death?

A: Yes, and also all the other ones that we've seen, including the one in Shallan's vision in Words of Radiance.

Q: Is the mistress Shalash?

Q: How many oaths can a Radiant swear?

A: There is an upper-limit/threshold to the number of oaths a Radiant may make. By the end of WoR, Shallan was a step higher than Kaladin. 

Hey, thanks for the report, but would you mind posting it in the Lexington signing thread in the Events forum? That is where signing reports should be going.

last night at the lexington signing I asked Brandon if the powder Shallan saw Hoid pour in his drink was an alumantic metal, he replied that he hadn't confirmed that, but it was a clever question. he then signed my book with "These words are accepted". Maybe reading to much into it, but... 

I wish I had asked if honor blades could be stolen, that would have provided some insight into what happened with Dalinar's blade.

Also does anyone have confirmation that Hoid actually took the bead of larisium? 

That is really interesting. Guess it makes more sense though for the idea rather than words to create a bond with a cognitive entity. It's possible this is just Brandon's way of covering himself for changing the wording of oaths he has mentioned but hasn't put in print yet ;)

Oaths as ideas was always really the only sensible way for this to work. If oaths required specific words then that also requires them being said in a specific language, which introduces all sorts of weird problems (e.g., languages evolve over time).

I wish someone would ask him which of the Cosmere main characters Hoid would get along with best. I mean aside from being a cryptic troll he seems to get along pretty well with the SA mains...But I always imagined him and Lightsong would just hit it off great.

I wish someone would ask him which of the Cosmere main characters Hoid would get along with best. I mean aside from being a cryptic troll he seems to get along pretty well with the SA mains...But I always imagined him and Lightsong would just hit it off great.

Well, not sure Hoid thinks much of Kaladin now that Kal lost Hoid's trailman's flute.... I could see Hoid getting along with Shallan though. Also Sarene (IIRC he did have a brief chat with her, but I don't remember the details).

Also, Hoid did meet Lightsong — he tells Lightsong and Siri that story. I think Lightsong might be too easygoing even for Hoid; apart from his use of his Divine Breath, he pretty much lounges about and cracks jokes for the whole book. Hoid probably appreciates humor, but I'd wager he values motivation even more. Lightsong never really had much of the latter — not until the very end at least.

Random thought:

Kaladin.

Kalad.

Vasher.

On Roshar.

Hmm..... coincidence? I think not.

BTW, what do you guys thing about BC Breath "farming"? Not too humane, but then again some of Brandon's characters aren't.

Anyway, thanks for this list, it's really helpful!

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 387973120 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 401066288 bytes) in Unknown on line 0

Hum. Out of curiosity, is there any reason this was down voted?

Did I say something bad?

Huh. I suppose I'll remove that then...

but... it would be just the thing some people would do...

Anyway, I've been throwing around the idea of trying to find a theory of Spren VS Shardblades... Well, I now see that that was answered already. Lol.

Hahahaha. That was really great timing, I must say. I actually decided this morning that I should check around... And now I see the answer...

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 387973120 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 401066288 bytes) in Unknown on line 0

Hum. Out of curiosity, is there any reason this was down voted?

Did I say something bad?

In the naming bits, I believe he mentioned how Kaladin got his name, so it's more of a coincidence.  Whether Vasher will ever bring it up, who knows ;)

Also updated the top post with a bit more from Omaha, and a lot of grammar fixes :)