No. Kalak is the name of a herald (the POV at the start of WoK). Kaladin's name comes from his, in the sense that a Catholic might name their child after a saint. Shallan, likewise, is named after Shalash.

The name might still be relevant, but it's just as likely to be a part of worldbuilding the culture.

I find it very important that Brandon specifically said "Rayse is terrified of Sazed's" instead of "Odium is terrified of Harmony". That suggests several interesting points about the relationship between the cognitive and spiritual aspects of a Shard.

Couple of questions I heard asked that we'll probably like:

Q: When will Hoid's books come out?
A: Well, there's the Dragonsteel series which is [kind of] the prequel, and then he's a main character in the final Mistborn trilogy.

Q: What are Hoid's plans for his Lerasium bead?

A: {Smiled and pulled out a RAFO}

There are a couple more that I can't remember exactly that I'll edit in once I talk to my buddy who asked.

Really? You thought he would answer the question about the lerasium bead? :D You funny you.

But it's pretty cool that he'll be in the Mistborn Sci-Fi. Kind of makes sense, with them traveling all over the cosmere, but cool nonetheless.

Really? You thought he would answer the question about the lerasium bead? :D You funny you. But it's pretty cool that he'll be in the Mistborn Sci-Fi. Kind of makes sense, with them traveling all over the cosmere, but cool nonetheless.

The way he's talking about Mistborn 3, it sounds like its going to be a Star Trek SciFi book, where they gather up all the invested folk who can use the powers of their shard from the various planets, and bring them to a big war or something awesome like that. 

I think it might be helpful to have a list of revealed info solely about WoR, at least for a little while since the book just released and has Invested the obvious stimulation.

Anyhow, I wonder if Mistborn 3 will be the Cosmere finale. While I'm sure Dragonsteel will have current events, it'll probably be more of a prequel since it's designated as a prequel.

Q:  How about one of the surges?
A:  I am RAFO'ing the truthwatchers entirely.

Interesting....

Shardblades, however, come from a spren bond and it is possible to bond more than one.

So, plates are a second spren... Level 5 knights are more powerful because they bonded more than one spren :D

Interesting.

Another theory... what are the chances that acting towards dead spren as if they were alive, and ... believing in them ... would be the thing to actually making them alive?

Also we know that Braize is the world referred to as Damnation. It's in WoR but I 1) haven't seen it mentioned in this forum from the threads I've read and 2) didn't want to remake another thread as I had already made one in the Cosmere board.

How do we know this?

Darkness. Wind from the depths of nothingness, battering him. He felt as if he were standing above the void itself, Damnation, known as Braize in the old songs. Home to demons and monsters.

Sanderson, Brandon (2014-03-04). Words of Radiance (Stormlight Archive, The) (p. 370). Tom Doherty Associates. Kindle Edition.

Q:  How do you pick names?

A:  It really varies based on the book. I'm often picking a linguistic paradigm. Alethi - there are two separate paradigms because I like linguistics to be messy. Usually based on symmetry being holy, so they'd pick names one letter off from symmetrical to avoid hubris.  Also suffix - like Kaladin is Kalak (herald) + din which is a suffix, all of them mean things, like the old Hebrew names have "born of" or "comes through". Stick that on and drop the last letter. Dalinar, Elhokar, all of those have suffixes - nar, kar.  In Mistborn, I didn't want linguistics to be your focus, for in that I picked a simpler naming paradigm - I lifted linguistics from the real world. Central Dominance is French. The Germanic area, we have Elend and Straff, and then we hav eSpanish on the other area. I just kind of took Earth cultures and appropriated them. That's an easier way to do it, because Mistborn is kind of an earth analogue. But Roshar is very different. Mistborn I didn't want you to think of the difference, which is why I gave everyone nicknames that are easy to say.

So, this is an interesting topic to me. The names on Roshar are steeped in meaning. He compares suffixes of names to Old Hebrew with "son of" or "comes through".

Shallan therefore would theoretically mean "daughter of" or "comes of" Shalash, her namesake. Makes a ton of sense since Shallan is a lightweaver and Shalash was the Herald of the Lightweavers.

How does this work with Kaladin though? His name would theoretically mean "son of" Kalak. But, Kaladin is a Windrunner. The order of Jezrien.

Interesting.....