Theory: Man Made Adonalsium

This is a very interesting theory. Someone should ask Brandon if any large collection of Investiture in one place can ever self-organize and gain a functional cognitive aspect, and if the mindless powers on Sel are capable of doing this. If he answers in the affirmative (or what passes for that with some WoB) then I think this theory has some legs.

Brandon mentioned recently that any sufficiently large pile of Investiture will eventually gain sentience. I am paraphrasing here, but he said that even Endowment (Nalthis' Shard) were Splintered, it would still kind of reform eventually and people will start Returning again, but not exactly the same way.

After reading this, the thought immediately came into my head that Hoid might have volunteered to take up the role of God with the specific intent to allow himself to be shattered. I have no idea if Hoid's powers or history have been addressed in terms of having ever held a shard, but I like the theory above so much that I want to use it as a basis for his apparently unique combination of abilities.

Impressive theory.  When I finished what we have of Liar of Partinel, I thought Yolen must have been site of the shattering of Adonalasium and it was the 16 shards, fallen to the planet, that created the safe zones and it was the destructive/shattering power that left the skullmoss behind.  But it seemed as if Brandon's characters, and so perhaps he himself thinks, that any god who could be shattered is no God at all, so a powerful construct, made in the image of the "God Beyond" could make a lot of sense.  Nice job!

Brandon mentioned recently that any sufficiently large pile of Investiture will eventually gain sentience. I am paraphrasing here, but he said that even Endowment (Nalthis' Shard) were Splintered, it would still kind of reform eventually and people will start Returning again, but not exactly the same way.

Because if you pull somebody apart piece by piece, bloody chunk by bloody chunk and all that jazz, odds are you won't get the same thing when you put Humpty back together again. Depending on what Adonalsium was like when it was around, Hoid's point could either be for or against its reassembly. I honestly can't help but wonder if every member of the Seventeenth Shard doesn't want to throw themselves in, make a mind strong enough to resist being molded. No matter what, their name has a much deeper meaning to it.

Solid theory, I like it.

We should ask Brandon if Hoid himself is/was the weapon, because he seemed to know each one of the shardholders personally, but somehow he didn't end up with a shard himself .. there has to be a reason for this.

I don't know if there needs to be a reason other than personality, really.  Like I said, if they ended up with more people than Shards that needed holders, it totally fits Hoid's personality to stand back and let the others take up the Shards.  He's not the sort who seems to like the idea of being tied to anything - I think he'd dislike bonding with a spren, let alone a whole Shard.

I saw that as Hoid just being very vivid in his explanation. We don't really know what Hoid is; we do know that he's powerful and difficult to kill, judging from his conversation with Jasnah. Perhaps he cannot die like a regular human, but Odium could likely put him in a state equivalent to death. 

I haven't read wor yet, but maybe hoid is just using shardic terms because they sound ominous.

And anyway that furtherproves that he's not a shard, cause if hoid had a shard, then 1) he would be able to resist odium at least for several millennia, and 2) even if he was shattered, he could be reassembled.

Sounds to me like he's saying that:

1: He can, to some extent, "evade" Odium.

2: He can die.

3: If Odium catches him, he won't just crush his heart or something. Rayse will personally take Hoid's spiritual aspect and tear it to shreds, ensuring a death that even Hoid cannot heal himself from.

• Chaos locked this topic