Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
physicskid

[OB] Felt and the nightwatcher.

35 posts in this topic

So I was doing an Oathbringer reread and when I got to the part where Dalinar went to meet the Nightwatcher I recognized his guide Felt. Felt was in WOR as a scout for Dalinars expedition and I am pretty sure I saw a WOB a few years back that the same Felt was in Mistborn working as a scout for Elend.

If I Remember correctly that implies that Felt either survived the Mistborn trilogy and subsequently learned how to worldhop or he left because things were getting crazy. This seems to imply theres a lot more to him than meets the eye. He tells Dalinar that he tried to meet the nightwatcher but that he was to foreign and that Dalinar is "less foreign". Was he obliquely referring to his worldhopping? Why did he look for the nightwatcher at all? Why is he sticking around Dalinar? Is he aware of Vasher/Zahel?

I got nothing so pile up anything you can come up with.

4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We don't know why he became a worldhopper but it must have happened after the events of Mistborn Era 1 because he was present during the events of the final book, at which point there were no accessible Perpendicularities on Scadrial. We know he's not the only Scadrian on the planet (Demoux also shows up) but we don't know if the two are aware of each other's presence. Similarly we have no idea whether or not he's aware of Vasher, though being a worldhopper he would at the very least have a better idea of what to look/listen for than most people.

One bit of speculation-fodder: Some of the people working for House Venture are implied by Brandon to have been part of the interplanetary mercantile economy that's mentioned in Mistborn Secret History. It's possible that Felt was one of these people and was aware of the existence of other worlds during the time of Era 1.

Yes, his 'less foreign' thing is a nod and a wink to the fact that he's not from Roshar, one that goes right over Dalinar's head just like Hoid's various dropped hints. We don't yet know why he's doing anything on Roshar, other than 'just because'. But I won't be surprised if someone asks Brandon about Felt's motivation for trying to see the Nightwatcher. And I'll be even less surprised if his answer is 'Read And Find Out'. xD

Edited by Weltall
3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Weltall said:

One bit of speculation-fodder: Some of the people working for House Venture are implied by Brandon to have been part of the interplanetary mercantile economy that's mentioned in Mistborn Secret History. It's possible that Felt was one of these people and was aware of the existence of other worlds during the time of Era 1

Wow. Did not know that, take an upvote. Any idea where i can find that WOB?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, physicskid said:

This seems to imply there's a lot more to him than meets the eye.

Indeed it does. Although how relevant those other details may be is up for debate, his status as worldhopper makes him a person of interest.

7 minutes ago, physicskid said:

He tells Dalinar that he tried to meet the nightwatcher but that he was to foreign and that Dalinar is "less foreign". Was he obliquely referring to his worldhopping?

Presumably.

9 minutes ago, physicskid said:

Why did he look for the nightwatcher at all? Why is he sticking around Dalinar? Is he aware of Vasher/Zahel?

1. He may have had a specific reason, but I think general curiosity would have drawn him to her eventually.
2. Unknown, but Dalinar is an important figure in world events, and House Kholin, like House Venture, is an influential banner to be flying under. You could ask the same question of Vasher.. speaking of which:
3. Unknown, but as Weltall just said, he's got a head start.

1 minute ago, physicskid said:

Wow. Did not know that, take an upvote. Any idea where i can find that WOB?

Here:

Quote

Questioner

In Secret History, Hoid says something to Kelsier about him destroying the Pits and destroying an entire mercantile system. Is he talking about literal inter-Realmic trade?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes. Interplanetary trade, yes.

Questioner

Follow-up: Is House Venture involved?

Brandon Sanderson

House Venture is not involved. People in House Venture might be.

Questioner

The guy who--

Brandon Sanderson

Here is a RAFO card for your follow-up. House Venture is-- Yes.

 
Footnote: The questioner was likely referring to Felt, a spy that worked for House Venture, who is a worldhopper.
3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So I just saw this WoB from the Orem signing. Is Brandon eluding to the fact that Felt may be a Kandra? Or possible a Lightweaver? 

 

Quote

 

Questioner [PENDING REVIEW]

You know Felt? Is orginially Scadrian?

Brandon Sanderson [PENDING REVIEW]

Yes. You guys know that, yeah. I don't think that's a big secret. But that should be raising other questions.

Questioner [PENDING REVIEW]

About his name?

Brandon Sanderson [PENDING REVIEW]

About that and the fact that....  He should stand out more.

 

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Felt was confirmed to be a third son of a minor noble  house during TFE, so if he's a kandra, he wouldn't be the same person, though.  And if I remember correctly, his eyes are different than Rosharan-norm.  But yeah, that WoB raises all sorts of questions...

Quote

Brandon Sanderson

Felt

Oh, and Felt gets a mention here. I don't know if you remember him from book one, but he was the spy who Elend sent to tail Vin one night and figure out who she truly was. He was loyal to house Venture, and Elend inherited Felt from his father when Straff fled Luthadel and left behind most of his servants and men.

A third son of a very minor nobleman, Felt is used to working for a living—something that does happen to a lot of nobility in this world, even if the ones you see most of the time are either too busy ruling, stealing, or going to war to bother with things like that.

source

Maybe his boon was to blend in with Rosharan society?

Quote

Dalinar pushed open the door. Felt stood outside, a lithe man with long, drooping mustaches and pale skin. Had to have some Shin blood in him, judging by those eyes.

 

Though Dalinar hadn’t expressly said what he intended to do out here in Hexi, his soldiers seemed to understand. Dalinar wasn’t sure whether he should be proud of their loyalty, or scandalized by how easily they accepted his intention to visit the Nightwatcher. Of course, one of them—Felt himself—had been this way before.

Or maybe he had "been that way before" but hadn't gone to the NW?

Edited by RShara
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Felt went to the NW but she didn't appear to him. Remember the "She doesn't like foreigners" comment Felt makes later.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, WhiteLeeopard said:

Felt went to the NW but she didn't appear to him. Remember the "She doesn't like foreigners" comment Felt makes later.

Oh, right, thanks! Hmmm

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, RShara said:

Felt was confirmed to be a third son of a minor noble  house during TFE, so if he's a kandra, he wouldn't be the same person, though.  And if I remember correctly, h is eyes are different than Rosharan-norm.  But yeah, that WoB raises all sorts of questions...

That is correct on his eyes. Hmm I remember now the WoB where Brandon states his lineage. With every answer there are only more questions.. 

Quote

Had to have some Shin blood in him, judging by those eyes.

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, StormingTexan said:

That is correct on his eyes. Hmm I remember now the WoB where Brandon states his lineage. With every answer there are only more questions.. 

 

Slightly Shin is just how all offworlders look like in Roshar. If worldhoppers look like standard Rosharans (with epicanthic fold) its because they are usually using some form of magic or lightweaving to blend in.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, WhiteLeeopard said:

Slightly Shin is just how all offworlders look like in Roshar. If worldhoppers look like standard Rosharans (with epicanthic fold) its because they are usually using some form of magic or lightweaving to blend in.

Right, we were pointing out that he does look Scadrian, not Rosharan.  So it's not his appearance that we're missing.

Edited by RShara
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, WhiteLeeopard said:

Slightly Shin is just how all offworlders look like in Roshar. If worldhoppers look like standard Rosharans (with epicanthic fold) its because they are usually using some form of magic or lightweaving to blend in.

Yeah that is what I don't get about the new WoB. "He should stand out more".My first thought was lightweaving or Kandra. If he was using lightweaving wouldn't he choose look more Rosharan? Same thing as a Kandra seems like he would pick some native bones. So not sure what that is supposed to imply. 

Edit: Yeah @RShara I get that now. 

 

Edited by StormingTexan
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe Brandon forgot that he'd pointed out the skin and eyes in the text?

Like, I just checked a WoB where he said he hasn't dug into this in the books...except he sorta did.  Man's not infallible :)

Edited by RShara
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe Brandon meant that he should stand out more as in literally to us the readers rather than in world characters? Because he is a worldhopper? Or maybe his name? Could the definition of the word "felt" mean something important? I know felt is a type of cloth but I don't know much more about the word itself. According to dictionary.com the word felt means a type of wool or cloth that is applied to heat, it can also be matted together, and it is the past participle of the word feel. 
The name itself feels like it fits in with Scadrial, but it definitely would stick out in Roshar. Could he appear in other places as well?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When I read that WoB my first thought was standing out due to words and language used, or mannerisms. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Rogueshar said:

Maybe Brandon meant that he should stand out more as in literally to us the readers rather than in world characters? Because he is a worldhopper? Or maybe his name? Could the definition of the word "felt" mean something important? I know felt is a type of cloth but I don't know much more about the word itself. According to dictionary.com the word felt means a type of wool or cloth that is applied to heat, it can also be matted together, and it is the past participle of the word feel. 
The name itself feels like it fits in with Scadrial, but it definitely would stick out in Roshar. Could he appear in other places as well?

Ohhh that would make sense too!

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, WhiteLeeopard said:

When I read that WoB my first thought was standing out due to words and language used, or mannerisms. 

Maybe, but he never left a distinct impression on me, Scadrians don't use color in language like the Nalthans do so that makes it harder to pick them out when they are world hopping. I can't remember my impression of him when I first read the Dalinar flashback in OB but it didn't leave too much of an impression on me. I do want to reread OB, maybe something will jump out at me then.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've somehow gotten the impression in my head that Scadrial natives would appear noticeably short compared to Roshar natives.  That could be a mistake on my part, but I swear I've read implications of that somewhere (both that Scadrial natives are a bit shorter than usual, and that Roshar natives are unusually tall).

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Subvisual Haze said:

I've somehow gotten the impression in my head that Scadrial natives would appear noticeably short compared to Roshar natives.  That could be a mistake on my part, but I swear I've read implications of that somewhere (both that Scadrial natives are a bit shorter than usual, and that Roshar natives are unusually tall).

It's from late in the Roshar vs Scadrial thread. Roshar has lower gravity, which should theoretically allow things to grow taller. Something to do with spinal compression and the like, I believe.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, The One Who Connects said:

It's from late in the Roshar vs Scadrial thread. Roshar has lower gravity, which should theoretically allow things to grow taller. Something to do with spinal compression and the like, I believe.

I think the Lord Ruler's changes on Scadrial also resulted in shorter humans.  Harmony mentioned "fixing" some of LR's changes, but Spook doesn't mention feeling suddenly taller at the very end of the original trilogy, so maybe that quirk was kept in?

I know Shallan mentions Iyatil seems short to her...I admit i'm stretching here :P

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Subvisual Haze said:

I think the Lord Ruler's changes on Scadrial also resulted in shorter humans.  Harmony mentioned "fixing" some of LR's changes, but Spook doesn't mention feeling suddenly taller at the very end of the original trilogy, so maybe that quirk was kept in?

Skaa-Noble interbreeding got rid of most of the differences between them(the ones that weren't just exaggerated/fabricated by the nobility). The ones that Harmony talks about were to deal with the ash.

Quote

Phantine
How did the 'skaa/noble' class genetic tinkering work out, anyway? Did the leadership of every nation just wake up the next morning and find themselves taller, more intelligent, and less fertile?

Brandon Sanderson
Most genetic differences between skaa and noble were exaggerated, even fabricated, by noble culture as justification for their perceived superiority. Height differences due to nutrition, 'intelligence' due to education and societal expectations, fertility due to common factors in urbanization. The LR did try some minor tinkering, to be played out over time through genetics, but in the end these changes weren't very successful.

emailanimal
This is actually good to know. I've seen your other responses to similar questions, where the inference was that there was indeed a significant difference.
The main changes were for dealing with the atmosphere, correct? And they were reverted by Sazed/Harmony?

Brandon Sanderson
There were also some general hardiness changes for the skaa and some fertility changes, but as I said, by the time of the books those were basically gone. And yes, Sazed reverted the ones designed to help survival in the ash.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The lower gravity does make it plausible that Rosharians could be taller then most other people in the Cosmere, but the difference is probably not that big.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe "he should stand out more" is implying that he's a soother?  If someone starts to get suspicious of the short guy with the big mustache and funny eyes, he gives them a bit of soothing to lose interest?

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So, Felt in OB flashback:

"Felt stood outside, a lithe man with long, drooping mustaches and pale skin. Had to have some Shin blood in him, judging by those eyes."

"The short man barely came up to the middle of Dalinar's chest"

So, short, pale, Shin eyes - doesn't he stand out enough? What else would distinguish a Scadrian on Roshar?

In WoR he is, by implication:

"...a thin man in scout's uniform" - who informs Shallan about the existence of the round plateau, where the Oathgate is subsequently found. Nothing particularly distinguishing about him there either, except that his report is very timely and that he volubly criticizes changes in battle strategy.

So, if it is not his appearance, maybe it is that his speech patterns don't stand out like they should? And in the flashback he has a wife named Malli. Hm... if there is a kandra there, I bet that it is her. In fact, maybe

all Mistborn spoilers:
 

Spoiler

 

Felt is not really Felt from Mistborn 1, but Wayne imitating his appearance and using his name for some reason? Which would explain why he doesn't commit any lapses in his speech, unlike the other worldhoppers, as he has actually learned the language instead of using Connection tricks. And "Malli" is MeLaan? 

P.S. Yea, got too excited here, the current chronology wouldn't allow for it. Was a fun thought, though.

Maybe it is a hint that Felt was Wayne's ancestor and that they  share certain talents in the areas of imitation abd fitting in?

Otherwise, I strongly suspect that odd ardent of Hatham's back from WoK of being a world-hopping kandra. The one who used the expression "on our soil" and hinted at belonging to some mysterious group wishing to gain Dalinar's goodwill for the future.

Edited by Isilel
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Isilel said:

So, Felt in OB flashback:

"Felt stood outside, a lithe man with long, drooping mustaches and pale skin. Had to have some Shin blood in him, judging by those eyes."

"The short man barely came up to the middle of Dalinar's chest"

So, short, pale, Shin eyes - doesn't he stand out enough? What else would distinguish a Scadrian on Roshar?

In WoR he is, by implication:

"...a thin man in scout's uniform" - who informs Shallan about the existence of the round plateau, where the Oathgate is subsequently found. Nothing particularly distinguishing about him there either, except that his report is very timely and that he volubly criticizes changes in battle strategy.

So, if it is not his appearance, maybe it is that his speech patterns don't stand out like they should? And in the flashback he has a wife named Malli. Hm... if there is a kandra there, I bet that it is her. In fact, maybe

all Mistborn spoilers:
 

  Hide contents

 

Felt is not really Felt from Mistborn 1, but Wayne imitating his appearance and using his name for some reason? Which would explain why he doesn't commit any lapses in his speech, unlike the other worldhoppers, as he has actually learned the language instead of using Connection tricks. And "Malli" is MeLaan? 

 

Otherwise, I strongly suspect that odd ardent of Hatham's back from WoK of being a world-hopping kandra. The one who used the expression "on our soil" and hinted at belonging to to some mysterious group wishing to gain Dalinar's goodwill for the future.

I don't think its going to be Wayne mostly because the first five books of Stormlight take place before Era 2 of Mistborn and Wayne is with Wax at the moment in their timeline. I do like your theory about the ardent, not sure if they're a kandra but I agree something up with him.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.