Alright guys, I went to the signing and have a good three and a half hours of audio. If anyone wants to transcript, be my guess.

So. Asked a few things: First of, Warbreaker was written as a sort of prelude to the character of Zahel.

Aluminum does not give an atium shadow (Whoo!)

Nightblood is a Shardblade, that is super powerful and twisted.

If Kelsier's Cognitive Shadow went to the Forests of Hell, he would be a shade.

If Laras's Cognitive Shadow went, he would be a shade.

If a Seon went, they would be a Shade.

Will post audio when I figure out how.

He answered an aluminium question?!

Interesting, though not surprising. As in, the answer isn't surprising, that he answered it is more so :P

Come on, if alu doesn't even give an atium shadow, inquisitors totally cannot see it.

Edited by lord Claincy Ffnord

Alright guys, I went to the signing and have a good three and a half hours of audio. If anyone wants to transcript, be my guess.

So. Asked a few things: First of, Warbreaker was written as a sort of prelude to the character of Zahel.

Nightblood is a Shardblade, that is super powerful and twisted.

If Kelsier's Cognitive Shadow went to the Forests of Hell, he would be a shade.

If Laras's Cognitive Shadow went, he would be a shade.

If a Seon went, they would be a Shade.

Will post audio when I figure out how.

Man, I would've upvoted you if I could, bartbug. Awesome reveals!

I'm guessing that since Nightblood is a sentient form of Invested object, his Investiture can be considered as a Splinter of Endowment (similar to Divine Breaths), so he's basically the same type of thing as a Shardblade: a Splinter in sword form.

Now I'm wondering if voidspren (or the Unmade) can manifest as Blades or other Shardweapons as well.

Update: Upvoted bartbug.

Edited by skaa

Hey guys! Sooooo sorry for the wait, but here it is! I have my two audio clips of the signings: The first part, with the reading and the general Q and A, and the second, with most of the signing line.

https://soundcloud.com/bartbug/brandon-sanderson-borderlands (Short one)

https://soundcloud.com/bartbug/brandon-sanderson (Long one)

Okay. Sorry about that, but Soundcloud has a time limit that I would need to pay to exceed, evidently.

So here it is, on Google Drive:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxXvXBhU4IZPNFlCQjZuUUJvUk0/edit?usp=sharing (short one, I think).

and

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxXvXBhU4IZPY3VPVGZuVnNxaWM/edit?usp=sharing (long one).

Cheers!

Nice work, looking forward to seeing the rest. I especially liked the answer about there being big clues both in WoR and Elantris about how Hoid world hops.

I would imagine that is the story Rock tells about the man coming out of the pool on the horneater peaks and the shardpool on Sel. The pools connect the various worlds.

Nice work, looking forward to seeing the rest. I especially liked the answer about there being big clues both in WoR and Elantris about how Hoid world hops.

I would imagine that is the story Rock tells about the man coming out of the pool on the horneater peaks and the shardpool on Sel. The pools connect the various worlds.

bu

t Hoid on mistborn could NOT find Well of Acesnion???

bu

t Hoid on mistborn could NOT find Well of Acesnion???

Not quite sure what you mean

we know Hoid took a bead of larasium so obviously he got to the well of ascension. Also, just found this http://www.17thshard.com/forum/topic/6408-hoid-spoilers/?p=104283 that backs up the theory that he travels through shardools

Edited by Awesomeness Summoned

Not quite sure what you mean

we know Hoid took a bead of larasium so obviously he got to the well of ascension. Also, just found this http://www.17thshard.com/forum/topic/6408-hoid-spoilers/?p=104283 that backs up the theory that he travels through shardools

We know from the annotations (I think from there, but definitely from somewhere) that Hoid spent the majority of WoA looking around Terris for the Well, only to find it near the very end of the book. So I believe Robot is drawing the quite reasonable conclusion that Hoid would have known where it was already if he'd popped out of it a few years earlier after worldhopping.

To counter that point, though, Ruin also has a shardpool.

Just an FYI, the spelling is Leras.

Also what the crap is up with Threnody, the Shadows for Silence world? Someone needs to ask Brandon if Shards have ever been there, because that seems... a little extreme. I'm so terrified of that planet.

Just an FYI, the spelling is Leras.

Also what the crap is up with Threnody, the Shadows for Silence world? Someone needs to ask Brandon if Shards have ever been there, because that seems... a little extreme. I'm so terrified of that planet.

What?

At around the 1:58 mark

Q:  At the very end of WoR, Dalinar touches a Shardblade and it screams at him.  Should that particular Blade have been safe??

A:  No it should not have.  It's a clue that something has happened.  There are other clues that something is wrong with what the story you've been told is.

Q:  Did Hoid switch out the blades?

A:  Hoid did not switch out the blades, but good question.

!!!

Transcription done! https://docs.google.com/document/d/1GOxewGM-E40JBs4EELEeQz7wXubJfP4oyfhkDNVgORU/edit?usp=sharing

Interesting answers (not already mentioned in this thread):

10:00 - What magics does Hoid have?
A: So far on screen we have seen him use three of the different magics. You know at least two of them. More obvious clues are in this book. Watch where he and Kaladin have some interactions.  You’ve already seen him and Shallan in her flashback - in that scene he uses one if you watch.

22:00 - Some question about how [Hoid?] travels between worlds
A: “There is a big clue in this book. There is a very big clue in the very first book I published.”

42:25 - How did you decide that you were going to tackle racism, gender, classism in WoK?
A: “…The Parshendi-Human thing is going to be a big deal for the series so I wanted to introduce it early on in the books.”

1:11:10 - Question about Ars Arcanum?
A: It’s not him. IDK if I’ve released who it is; but its probably not who people are thinking but it is in-world.

1:13:00 - Question that I couldn’t hear. Sounds like “What was the [...]”?
A: “It was actually right near the climax. It was the phrase ‘These words are accepted.’... Oh I thought you were talking about the Moment of Inspiration.”

1:17:25 - What’s your favorite original Shardholder? (Props to bartbug for this question)
A: I don’t know...The tricky thing is that I’m going to have to write them as their personalities because right now they are just concepts. I’m very fond of Bavadin but I can’t say.

1:18:00 - Is Bavadin the only shard on Taldain?
A: He is the only shard on the planet. (is he the sun?) - RAFO

1:18:50 - Have people not from/on Scadrial used Hemalurgy?
A: Yes.

1:19:10 - What was the pouch on the Radiant in Dalinar’s vision in WoR?
A: RAFO. I'm not saying its important, but you have to get a RAFO.

1:19:30 - Were there spren bonds before Aharietiam?
A: RAFO... There were some spren on the planet before whatever happened to Honor.

1:20:30 - Are there other shards in the Taldain solar system?
A: There is only one for that solar system.

1:59:00 - Why do they ride horses instead of fast insects of some sort?
A: RAFO.

Thanks for going through all that trouble, EnaMai. :)

One favor: would you mind posting all the Q/A's in their entirety (no abbreviation beyond what's on the transcript already (for instance, the full text of the Hemalurgy answer)) here on this thread? It's best to have everything on the site for word-searching and the like, rather than having to go off-site to Google for our sources.

I'd do it myself, but I don't want to steal your upvotes. ;)

Yes of course. Here's everything in the second audio clip for searching purposes (in a spoiler tag so the thread doesn't explode):

4:25 - Will book 5 be last Alcatraz book?

5:10 - Who are the 5 main characters from the first half of the SA?

A: Kaladin, Shallan, Szeth, Eshonai, Dalinar in that order

7:40 - When are we going to get Hoid’s book?

A: Hoid has 6 books, they are the 3 books of Dragonsteel and the last Mistborn trilogy of the nine book arc.

10:00 - What magics does Hoid have?

A: So far on screen we have seen him use three of the different magics. You know at least two of them. More obvious clues are in this book. Watch where he and Kaladin have some interactions.  You’ve already seen him and Shallan in her flashback - in that scene he uses one if you watch.

20:20 - Some question about Gaz; can’t hear it

A: Gaz was always planned to come back. Having characters disappear and come back is something he likes about Robert Jordan. 

22:00 - Some question about how [Hoid?] travels between worlds

A: “There is a big clue in this book. There is a very big clue in the very first book I published.”

23:00 - Do you hear the Parshendi song as you write it?

A: Yes, but if he ever created it, he’d have someone more musically inclined do it.

23:30 - Question about an Emperor’s Soul sequel

A: “The first one turned out so well I don’t want to spoil it by doing anything more….If I don’t do anything more I’m sure Shai will worm her way into some other story.”

25:20 - If something happened to GRRM would you want to take that over?

A: No, you’d want someone who is a better match to him. Joe Abercrombie.

27:15 - Any plans to write SciFi?

A: Yes, but it’ll be in the cosmere after the technology has caught up to SciFi. The next Mistborn trilogy will be about 1980s technology and then the last a space opera.

32:30 - Are you going to expand on the Cosmere in its own book? When will it come to the forefront?

A: Yes, Dragonsteel and third Mistborn trilogy will be more about the Cosmere. Wants to warn people when they need to understand all this info.

37:35 - What was Kaladin’s original decision that you changed?

A: Kaladin won the Plate and Blade in chapter one and kept it. Will release as a free download on website.

39:50 - How long did it take you to perfect your signature?

A: Has evolved from a B and an S into the swirling thing it is now. Can find old signature in old Elantris books.

42:25 - How did you decide that you were going to tackle racism, gender, classism in WoK?

A: “One of the things I like about Fantasy is the ability to tackle things like this in a way that removes the baggage from our current society which is why you see me doing things like the gender relations centered around whether the hand is sleeved or not. I want to do something that is one step removed so that it is pertinent…The Parshendi-Human thing is going to be a big deal for the series so I wanted to introduce it early on in the books.”

49:00 - What’s your favorite SciFi series?

A: Vernor Vinge’s Deepness in the Sky/Fire Upon the Deep.

51:50 - Books recommendations?

A: Vernor Vinge, Guy Gavriel Kay (Tigana), Pratchett, NK Jamison (A Hundred Thousand Kingdoms)

1:04:50 - Would aluminum give an Atium shadow?

A: No, if you threw an aluminum spear it would not give an Atium shadow.

1:05:05 - How long have you been planning for Vasher to be in WoR?

A: “Vasher was in the 2002 WoK by name. I only changed him to the new name after I’d finished this entire draft because I’m like ‘Oh he’d probably go under a pseudonym’...Vasher was much bigger then b/c Kaladin took the Plate and Blade and Vasher was his teacher.”

1:07:30 - Question about new (non-sequel) books?

A: “I’ve been developing a world for a while now where - are you familiar with Tesla, he wanted this whole wireless electricity thing. It was kinda like electrifying the air and having the current run into the ground. I want to build a world where that happens naturally. Where your ground is positive and your air is negative and electrons will move through it and animals adapt to use this and you can like set a lamp on the ground and it’ll just glow because of the current running through it...I just have to do a lot more research on electricity than I’ve done now.”

1:11:10 - Question about Ars Arcanum?

A: It’s not Hoid. IDK if I’ve released who it is; but its probably not who people are thinking but it is in-world.

1:13:00 - Question that I couldn’t hear. Sounds like “What was the [...]”?

A: “It was actually right near the climax. It was the phrase ‘These words are accepted.’... Oh I thought you were talking about the Moment of Inspiration.”

1:16:00 - Why was Jasnah’s death glossed over?

A: Because that was not going to happen in this book and Shallan was unable to come into her own.

1:17:25 - What’s your favorite original Shardholder? (Props to bartbug for this question)

A: I don’t know...The tricky thing is that I’m going to have to write them as their personalities because right now they are just concepts. I’m very fond of Bavadin but I can’t say.

1:18:00 - Is Bavadin the only shard on Taldain?

A: He is the only shard on the planet. (is he the sun?) - RAFO

1:18:25 - Can Hemalurgy take a surge or a spren bond?

A: Hemalurgy can interact with every magic. It is very important to the Cosmere and its invention is “a thing of great power and great danger”.

1:18:50 - Have people not from/on Scadrial used Hemalurgy?

1:19:10 - What was the pouch on the Radiant in Dalinar’s vision in WoR?

A: RAFO. I'm not saying its important, but you have to get a RAFO.

1:19:30 - Were there spren bonds before Aharietiam?

A: RAFO. The spren were around back then; they weren’t what they are now. They’ve changed over the course of the book. As sharders have figured out, they are much more prevalent following what happened to Honor. There were some spren on the planet before even that happened. 

1:20:30 - Are there other shards in the Taldain solar system?

A: Now that’s a clever question. There is only one for that solar system. There are other places with only one. It’s not uncommon. We’ve gone to places with more than one because that is where the conflict is Cosmere centric.

1:22:10 - What was Jasnah’s last thought?

A: Her last thoughts were of escaping.

1:32:00 - Is Jasnah’s going to be one of the backstories?

A: It is. She’s on the back five.

1:32:30 - Is the sword Nightblood?

A: Yes. Warbreaker was Zahel’s backstory.

1:39:15 - Do all the humans have innate Investiture?

A: I believe that they all do. Drabs don’t. You haven’t see any yet that don’t have innate Investiture.

1:50:00 - What’s the deal with safehands?

A: You’ll find out eventually. There is something it originated in. Inspired by bottoms of feet being offensive in Korea.

1:59:00 - Why do they ride horses instead of fast insects of some sort?

A: RAFO.

2:00:15 - At the very end of WoR, Dalinar touches a Shardblade and it screams at him.  Should that particular Blade have been safe?

A:  No it should not have.  It's a clue that something has happened.  There are other clues that something is wrong with what the story you've been told is.

2:01:00 - Did Hoid switch out the blades?

A:  Hoid did not switch out the blades, but good question.

2:14:15 - Does the Silence Divine take place in the Cosmere?

A: It does, it takes place on a planet called Thredony. There is no shard on that planet however. The magic is more something you interact with, not something you perform b/c there isn’t a shard there.

2:14:50 - If Kelsier’s Cognitive Shadow or a Seon went to the forests of calamity, would they be shades?

A: Yes, that is the same thing. The people on that planet; their Investiture; the lack of shard means that their cognitive shadows react differently. The ghost of Leras is the same thing too.

2:15:00 - Is Nightblood was on Roshar would it be a shardblade?

A: Yes, they are exactly the same thing. He is a shardblade that is twisted and is a lot more powerful than normal.

Edited by EnaMai