The Moons of Roshar

Jofwu

10 hours ago, Subvisual Haze said:

Goofy observation that might tie into further moon/clock connections: Cusicesh always appears in the city of Kasitor at "Seven Forty Six in the Morning".  It might be a total coincidence, but roughly between 7th and 8th bell on the clock (assuming 100 minutes in a bell) matches up quite well with the green circle, which we assume to represent the green moon Mishim.  Is this a totally random coincidence, or does the timing of Cusicesh's appearance connect to the position of Mishim relative to Roshar?

The positions don't seem to be SUPER precise, I seem to recall, so this doesn't particularly matter to your point I think... But there are 50 minutes per hour, so this would be just 4 minutes before 8.

I don't think there's a connection here though, because this isn't when Mishim is up. There seems to be a disconnect between the clocks and the bell system. (or perhaps between what we see in the east versus whatever Axies is using) Mishim rises late in the night and sets around dawn, but Axies is pretty clear in that interlude that the sun is well above the horizon.

Of course this gets into the whole issue of the moons rising at the same time everywhere... If they (realistically) didn't then we don't have a perfect idea of what time they would be up in Iri. (or we'd have to do some work and make some assumptions) So the timing wouldn't match what the "clock" shows. I tend to think we need to assume that they DO magically rise the same time everywhere (more or less), however.

It appears that 7:46 is late in the morning, which suggests to me that this clock system uses 10=midnight/noon with sunrise/sunset roughly at 5 am/pm. That means this event happens a bit closer to noon than sunrise. This is clearly different than the bell system described in the east, where "first night bell" is at/near sunset. Other "bell" mentions suggest "first bell" is sunrise, "second bell" is breakfast, and "tenth" bell is dinner (an hour before sunset). Maybe those are all shifted an hour later, but it makes the spacing between breakfast/noon and noon/dinner kind of weird whereas they are equally spaced this way. Not really clear if the bells are just a practical system used alongside an official clock time, or if Axies is measuring time differently than the easterners would...

In any case, it doesn't seem to match up with Mishim in any way. :)

I am curious though... now that we know lines of longitude across Roshar, are there any other astronomical relationships with this point in time? None that I see off the top of my head. I was imagining like... maybe that's when Urithiru is directly beneath the sun or something, but no. :D Seems that the east coast is nearly at sunset (just eyeballing it) which means it's noon around Azir? The moons are... well the moons are in multiple places depending on your interpretation. Cusicesh does look towards the Origin. Maybe the location of the Origin (if such a thing exists) is at midnight at this moment. Who knows...

I was actually wondering if it corresponded to Mishim's apogee, as Cusicesh is looking towards the origin at this specific time for some reason in Kasitor.

Yeah, it was kind of a guesswork on my part, but I do think it's very strange that only in that one spot (thought internally by Axies) do we see time expressed in what appears to be a traditional 12-hour am/pm system.  Maybe I was just thinking about it wrong and this was an obscure hint that Aimians planet hop and thus think about time in a different manner?

Or maybe this was an accidental case of an Earth time not being "translated" into the 10-hour day/night bell system we see elsewhere.

@ccstat Do you have those visibility calculations in any digital form? I was curious about looking into those myself. I feel pretty sure that what's described in the book just isn't logically possible, but I wanted to wrap my mind around the math. Calculating satellite visibility is not something I know how to do off the top of my head. :)

Does anyone have a theory as to how exactly these artificial orbits of the moon were created? As a follow up, are the moons themselves naturally occurring celestial objects or were they a result of some radiant related activity? ( I can't think of anything else powerful enough to create artificial moons)

39 minutes ago, desi_sparta said:

Do you have a WOB for that?

The entirety of the Rosharan system was directly created. 

Overlord Jebus [PENDING REVIEW]

Was just the continent of Roshar created by Adonalsium or was the whole system created?

Brandon Sanderson [PENDING REVIEW]

Whole system was created.

source

On 7/30/2018 at 1:43 PM, Jofwu said:

@ccstat Do you have those visibility calculations in any digital form? I was curious about looking into those myself. 

I think so, at least parts of them were calculated with Excel. I'll look for my file, but it may be a few days.

Edited by ccstat

I got Universe Sandbox 2 tonight and toyed around with these moons a bit. Just figuring the program out a bit--didn't dig up any of the more specific numbers we came up with, beyond the basic parameters for Roshar and the period of the moons.

Universe Sandbox ² - 20180808-232506 Video.gif

EDIT:

I wrote up a little thing that hopefully explains simply why the moons are problematic:

• Pagerunner changed the title to The Moons of Roshar
  • Chaos locked this topic