Mistborn Original Trilogy: Retrospective

EC11

So I wrote my own little piece regarding my thoughts on the original trilogy, and you know what, I think it is the best work Brandon has written to date*. Now I realize this might be controversial to some but I ask that you hear me out. The series as a self contained whole is excellent, without any intense dangling plot threads, little overall attachment to the greater Cosmere (not that this is a bad thing) and has some of the coolest moments in Sanderson.

And I think we can all agree Allomancy is one of the coolest magic systems Brandon has written to date!

So thoughts on this opinion>

*I should add that while I think Mistoborn is his greatest work, Way of Kings is probably his best written novel to date.

Misborn Era 1 was the first books of Brandon I read and fell in love right away.  I recently re-read the original trilogy and enjoyed it even more the second time through as I picked up on a lot of things I missed the first time. I will say I agree it is his best complete Cosmere series (it is also his only one). I am pretty confident SA will end up being his best of course it will be in competition from the other Mistborn eras. 

58 minutes ago, StormingTexan said:

Misborn Era 1 was the first books of Brandon I read and fell in love right away.  I recently re-read the original trilogy and enjoyed it even more the second time through as I picked up on a lot of things I missed the first time. I will say I agree it is his best complete Cosmere series (it is also his only one). I am pretty confident SA will end up being his best of course it will be in competition from the other Mistborn eras. 

It is his only complete series to date, but I think even SA will have trouble outdoing the original trilogy for two reasons:

1) The Mistborn Original Trilogy is much shorter in length and scope meaning its easier for new readers to dig onto, and allows the plot to be largely self contained.

2) Stormlight has (IMO) numerous downfalls in its scope and framing to make it quite as powerful as the Mistborn trilogy was.

Basically, the self contained nature of Mistborn, its characters, and the way it manages to so expertly raise the stakes in each volume is what gets people hooked and makes it so memorable (I mean, The Lord Ruler dying in Mistborn, Ruin escaping in Well of Ascension, the world ending in Hero of Ages, hard to top!) in a way that I don't think Stormlight will be able to match.

I'll cheerfully be proven wrong in this mind you :P

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 2/15/2018 at 0:29 PM, Scion of the Mists said:

@EC11, great post.  However, in the paragraph introducing Kelsier's crew, I believe you've confused Demoux with Dockson.  

You are indeed correct that I did! Thanks for that :)

On 2/20/2018 at 8:53 PM, recneps said:

Gotta get the right tropes ;)

• Chaos locked this topic