Hoid questions (Spoilers)

ranstang94

Ok, forgive me if this has already been mentioned. I know we already assume that Hoid has Breath but did anyone else catch, when he talked to Kaladin in prison, he said that tuning became much easier now that he has "Perfect pitch" wasn't that the second heightening? meaning he has > 200 Breaths... second question, how does he keep said breaths from warping the colors around himself noticeably? I sort of remember there was a method for that, but I can't remember what it was. 

Also I am wondering if the powder Shallan saw Hoid put in his drink (one of the flashbacks) was metal shavings... I would guess he started soothing her and her father.

Ok, forgive me if this has already been mentioned. I know we already assume that Hoid has Breath but did anyone else catch, when he talked to Kaladin in prison, he said that tuning became much easier now that he has "Perfect pitch" wasn't that the second heightening? meaning he has > 200 Breaths... second question, how does he keep said breaths from warping the colors around himself noticeably? I sort of remember there was a method for that, but I can't remember what it was. 

Also I am wondering if the powder Shallan saw Hoid put in his drink (one of the flashbacks) was metal shavings... I would guess he started soothing her and her father.

Vasher is also able to hide the effects of his breathes. There is still a lot about that magic system that we don't know.

Hoid wears mostly black clothing which aren't affected by Breaths as much as other colors and we know those of the fourth (?)  heightening and above can hide their Breaths, though I don't remember if it was ever explained how that works.

Vasher is also able to hide the effects of his breathes. There is still a lot about that magic system that we don't know.

Hoid wears mostly black clothing which aren't affected by Breaths as much as other colors and we know those of the fourth (?)  heightening and above can hide their Breaths, though I don't remember if it was ever explained how that works.

but at the very least we now have an idea of how many breaths he is likely to hold. A min of 200... more than I thought he had.

hmm, If bronze works on other powers.... interesting thought. 

I would imagine that since bronze doesn't allow you to sense when someone is using feruchemy then it wouldn't sense other powers.

That might have something to do with the end-neutral nature of feruchemy.

Hoid also has Lightweaving of his own, so he could be suppressing his aura that way.

Warebreaker Spoilers:

I doubt he uses Vasher's method, since even Vasher couldn't hide the aura from "normal" Breaths, only his own Divine one.

Maybe, I don't think we have enough information on how bronze interacts with other powers yet.

We actually have a fair amount of it.

Source:

Argent: Could a Seeker who was properly trained and experienced detect AonDor or Awakening? Similarly, does a Coppercloud block an Awakener's life sense?

Brandon: A Seeker could sense somebody else using magic not native Scadrial. RAFO on the Coppercloud blocking similar magic.

EDIT:

@Dyring

Nope, not a dream. ;)

Edited by Kurkistan

wasent there a wob that someone sufficently skilled in bronze might be able to sense feruchemy, or did I dream that up?

You got to it before I did. Yeah I know I read SOMEWHERE that someone good enough with bronze and who knew what they were looking for could sense things other than allomancy. Im betting it works with all forms of investiture. It worked with the WoA after all, which is just pure investiture, not actually allomancy.

I wonder if chromium and nicrosil would work on people holding stormlight....

We actually have a fair amount of it.

Source:

EDIT:

@Dyring

Nope, not a dream. ;)

Ah, I am kinda new to the forums, and you guys have a lot of info that isn't in the books. Or to rephrase that, the info is pretty hidden in the books. I didn't know that about bronze, that makes a mistborn's Investiture far more important than I realized... especially if they are in a world where no one knows about their powers.

I'd be surprised if you did know about Allomantic bronze, actually, Ranstang. A lot of this info is squirreled away in weird places such that you either had to be active when it came out or have someone else link to it for you if you're ever to know of it. That's why I'm a linkaholic. :)

I'd be surprised if you did know about Allomantic bronze, actually, Ranstang. A lot of this info is squirreled away in weird places such that you either had to be active when it came out or have someone else link to it for you if you're ever to know of it. That's why I'm a linkaholic. :)

That's also why he has so much rep, he links to old discussions :P

Ah, I am kinda new to the forums, and you guys have a lot of info that isn't in the books. Or to rephrase that, the info is pretty hidden in the books. I didn't know that about bronze, that makes a mistborn's Investiture far more important than I realized... especially if they are in a world where no one knows about their powers.

The vast majority of it is not in the books. There's hints and tidbits in the books, but the majority of things come from interviews/signing Q&As, which makes it really frustrating to get into for anyone who hasn't been keeping up with it from the start.

On the bright side, those little tidbits aren't needed for enjoying the books, so it doesn't matter too much.

On the down side, people on this forum and others include those who have been keeping up with everything Brandon has ever said, and base all of their conversations on that information, making it nearly incomprehensible for people who have not (Barring good people like Kurkistan providing links for everything, but even then you have no way of knowing until someone else does link it).

I caught the "perfect pitch" thing right away, but I didn't even think about the stuff in his drink. We know that he's got a bead of lerasium, but he could have used it already to become a mistborn (and also possibly to gain other powers).

Hmm, I always figured that either:

• Hoid hides his Breaths when around many people

or

• The people of Nalthis are much more sensitive to the color enhancement bubbles around powerful Awakeners, because they expect to see them. Nothing on Roshar produces the same effect, so it's very likely that people will either not notice the change at all, or will attribute it to tiredness, trick of the light, or something else along those lines. If you lived in a place where people could, at will, add or subtract about a centimeter (that's a little less than half an inch, imperials!) of hair length, you'd get used to noticing when they do it. But to an outsider, the change in hair length would likely be attributed to... viewing angle, or some tresses falling loose, or something like that.

The vast majority of it is not in the books. There's hints and tidbits in the books, but the majority of things come from interviews/signing Q&As, which makes it really frustrating to get into for anyone who hasn't been keeping up with it from the start.

On the bright side, those little tidbits aren't needed for enjoying the books, so it doesn't matter too much.

On the down side, people on this forum and others include those who have been keeping up with everything Brandon has ever said, and base all of their conversations on that information, making it nearly incomprehensible for people who have not (Barring good people like Kurkistan providing links for everything, but even then you have no way of knowing until someone else does link it).

Ah but that glorious moment when you finally become a sharder and realize that Brandon's books are even more spectacular than you thought. Awespren abound.

I am very grateful to all of you who have been helping me catch up! I had another thought just a few min ago, do you think that breath can be used to awaken a lightweaving? I have no clue how this could be used but somehow they clicked in my head as a pair power. Almost like allomancy and feruchemy, maybe the two could be used to create a more lifelike illusion...? thoughts?

Hmm, I always figured that either:

• Hoid hides his Breaths when around many people

or

• The people of Nalthis are much more sensitive to the color enhancement bubbles around powerful Awakeners, because they expect to see them. Nothing on Roshar produces the same effect, so it's very likely that people will either not notice the change at all, or will attribute it to tiredness, trick of the light, or something else along those lines. If you lived in a place where people could, at will, add or subtract about a centimeter (that's a little less than half an inch, imperials!) of hair length, you'd get used to noticing when they do it. But to an outsider, the change in hair length would likely be attributed to... viewing angle, or some tresses falling loose, or something like that.

I think you may be right, but I would assume that Brandon would mention it even if the people of Roshar dismissed it. some small comment like "it seemed the room grew brighter when Wit entered. Some trick of the light surely... but still he had that effect." 

Perhaps - it's not a very strong argument, but it's one I would've made myself too. I've nothing concrete to counter it with, other than to say that maybe the only time he had the Breaths was during the epilogue.