The Alloy of Law Broadsheet

Adrienne

Taking off my lurker hood to jolt some life into this thread, though this maybe could start its own topic...

I noticed that no one has commented on this passage yet, where Allomancer Jak discusses how his servant retrieved his gun.

I asked how he slipped it away from the koloss, and he explained that he had made use of one of his metalminds to create a connection to the koloss.

As far as I see it, there are a couple possibilities here. Either "Allomancer Jak" is completely making stuff up, and there is no such feruchemical power that allows one to store up a connection to someone else (whatever that means). Or he is drawing this aspect of his tale from reality, and this feruchemical ability exists.

Also interesting to note is the phrase "one of his metalminds". This clearly implies (as long as "Allomancer Jak" is not just making stuff up) that Handerwym has multiple metalminds, so either this ability is like tin or copper in that its metalminds can have distinct contents (connections to different people, maybe) or Handerwym has more than one feruchemical power. Or, I suppose, he just carries multiple metalminds that serve the exact same thing.

So what do you all think? How does this connection storing ability work? Does it store connections to individuals (the koloss who had possession of the gun) or groups (the entire band)? What does storing and tapping a connection even mean? And does this passage point to the existence of full Feruchemists?

Ahhhh so many questions!

Jak's a totally unreliable narrator, but I wouldn't count on everything he says being false. :D

That's my hope. The situation he is describing is almost guarenteed to be completely false. But the hints about feruchemy may have some basis in truth.

Because I'm a fan of symmetry, I suspect that if there are no more Mistborn, there are probably no more full Feruchemists either. (Although it may be a reversal of the situation in the trilogy. Where there were once Mistborn, Allomantic Mistings, and Feruchemists, there are now Feruchemists, Feruchemical Mistings, and Allomantic Mistings. That has a kind of symmetry to it as well.) So I'm leaning towards Handerwym carrying multiple metalminds because he can use them to store connections to different people.

I'd venture to guess that this is a Feruchemical Enhancement ability. It doesn't really line up with the one temporal ability we know (storing health in goldminds). Although there is less of an association between abilities within the same group for Feruchemy, case in point the storing of warmth being a mental ability... so could be anything goes.

The more I think about it the more I realize I'm just grasping at straws. :D

Perhaps what it does is it enhances the Cognitive Presence of the Ferchemist so much that he is able to "touch" other minds. He was able to gain control of the Koloss, because that one happened to be extremely emotional when he was "touching" his mind.

I know. A long shot for sure, but I had to come up with some sort of reason that it would work.

I'm dying to see the pictures! The front page is even more of a teaser!

Those are all the pictures that I think were publicly posted on Twitter. Peter said he'd upload more this week, so I'll let you know.

I'd venture to guess that this is a Feruchemical Enhancement ability.

I agree. I also suggest that, as this is feruchemy and must always be balanced, he "stores" this ability by letting the koloss have control over him/his mind. This could be what we see when Jak says:

Connection notwithstanding, the koloss pulled him away, though they didn’t seem to realize what he had done.

He had used up his "control" or was starting to store it again.

Obviously, Jak is not one to be trusted, but I suspect there is a grain of truth in this. Or perhaps I just want to believe that we have seen something new of Feruchemy.

Because I'm a fan of symmetry, I suspect that if there are no more Mistborn, there are probably no more full Feruchemists either. (Although it may be a reversal of the situation in the trilogy. Where there were once Mistborn, Allomantic Mistings, and Feruchemists, there are now Feruchemists, Feruchemical Mistings, and Allomantic Mistings. That has a kind of symmetry to it as well.)

I figured that the "high Allomancy" period of the Final Empire was probably just a fluke, a blip in the overall history of Scadrial. We know there were naturally-occurring allomancers before Alendi's march to the Well - he was a Seeker, after all - but the numbers of Mistborn and Mistings during the Final Empire are astronomical compared to before.

I'm guessing that things are evening out by Wax's time, returning to normal. The Final Empire will become an age of legends *cough* and some people will end up thinking that there never was such a thing as a Mistborn.

• 2 months later...

Wow, I just came back to this thread after actually reading the book and I think it's so cool how people picked up on the relationship storing Feruchemy. Now that we've got the Ars Arcanum out, I'd say it's a safe bet that this was a Connecter Ferring, who stores relationships with others in Duralumin. Very interesting...

Wow, I just came back to this thread after actually reading the book and I think it's so cool how people picked up on the relationship storing Feruchemy. Now that we've got the Ars Arcanum out, I'd say it's a safe bet that this was a Connecter Ferring, who stores relationships with others in Duralumin. Very interesting...

Most definitely. I was surprised Jak didn't lie about that, honestly.

• Chaos locked this topic