The Alloy of Law Broadsheet

Adrienne

Anything's possible, Silus. We don't know what the external temporals or any of the enhancement metals do Feruchemically. Though yeah, it does seem really unlikely.

I want to see the rest of Allomancer Jak's story, that looked awesome. Also, anybody notice the edition number and cost? Looks like we might learn a bit more about the steel alphabet... :) excitement!

And from the "Allomancers for hire", I'm thinking more and more that they don't know about Chromium. I don't think they know about the external enhancement metals. I mean, surely, it would be a much wanted trait for allomancers.

Why would Ironeyes be Marsh? He had one of his eye-spikes taken out by Vin. He would be Ironeye unless he replaced his other eye-spike.

Ironeyes was a nickname for Marsh even before he became an Inquisitor. A rather prophetic nickname, in a way.

But I expect he probably did replace his other eye spike, or had it returned by Sazed.

EDIT:

The thing I found most interesting about the broadsheet was the "Is there life across the ocean?" part. Brandon mentioned several times in his Mistborn annotations that there were people living at the other pole, and also confirmed that they somehow managed to find a way to protect themselves from the sun and survive the end of the world.

I always got the feeling that he was hinting at something very ominous involving those people in future books.

Edited by Mad_Scientist

This is something I posted on the timewastersguide. You guys mentioned a lot of this already, but I figured some of it still might be poignant.

The fact that hiring a feruchemist needs an appointment shows that feruchemists are likely much more rare than allomancers now. This is likely because all the true feruchemists were killed and the ones now probably came from people with recessive feruchemical genes.

Ironeyes is an odd connection. Sanderson has hinted that Marsh may be alive, but what are the odds that people would connect him to his old nickname? Coincidence?

The woman seeing her dead husband save her seems to imply that more Inquisitors are being made, but by whom? Could this be why allomancers are being kidnapped?

Life Across the Ocean? shows that we will likely be introduced to the people of the southern hemisphere. If they have a different magic system, the "mystical Unkown Metals", then perhaps it could explain the Vanishers?

Everything said by Allomancer Jak is likely a lie. In fact, I doubt there is even a real person named "Allomancer Jak". Still, his story at least shows that koloss still exist and in tribes. And if only one generation of using old spikes could create someone as sophistocated as Human, imagine how sophisticated koloss may be after three hundred years of using them. They may even be able to create weapons of as "incredibly fine make" as Jak claims.

Edited by whynaut

Right, forgot about Ironeyes being his nickname (despite rereading it only a few days ago XP). Still not sure on that one, though.

The woman who says she saw her husband probably saw a Kandra. After all, she didn't mention him having spikes in him.

The only ways the people across the ocean could have new metals is either:

1) The main population isn't aware of Chromium/Nicrosil, which is what they're using.

or 2) We're dealing with Lerasium or Atium alloys.

Brandon has said that Sazed transformed the Koloss into a species that breeds on its own.

Man, that broadsheet was cool.

Why would Ironeyes be Marsh? He had one of his eye-spikes taken out by Vin. He would be Ironeye unless he replaced his other eye-spike.

I didn't think it was punched out completely. Just smacked deeper into the skull.

Since Marsh is the only Inquisitor still alive, as he has that bag of atium, I don't find it hard to believe that people would happen to call him Ironeyes.

You know, that is a curious thing, about that atium... Brandon said Marsh would be able to use the immortality trick the Lord Ruler did, but why would Marsh have the ability to use Feruchemical atium? Doesn't seem like a useful spike for Ruin to put in him. But I digress.

I don't know that all of what Allomancer Jak said was was a lie. Probably most of it. But koloss sort of breed true now, and it's curious that Jak mentions that "anyone can become a koloss." This implies that koloss still remember some of their old ways. I don't think Jak could make that up out of thin air.

I also agree: the external Enhancement metals are most likely unknown. Funny that people refer to "Unknown Metals" then.

Peter, there's actually a typo in the broadsheet. On the first Allomancer Jak segment on the top right, "koloss" is capitalized in the second paragraph, but it isn't capitalized in the larger Eltania piece.

Right, forgot about Ironeyes being his nickname (despite rereading it only a few days ago XP). Still not sure on that one, though.

It would be to big a coincidence otherwise, I think. I doubt Brandon would use a name so likely to cause confusion if it wasn't supposed to refer to Marsh.

Peter, there's actually a typo in the broadsheet. On the first Allomancer Jak segment on the top right, "koloss" is capitalized in the second paragraph, but it isn't capitalized in the larger Eltania piece.

I'm gonna say the Elendel Daily editors aren't consistent in their capitalization. It's an old-timey newspaper after all.

Yeah, I'm sticking with that.

By the way, Karen is making an awesome Allomancer Jak costume for me for Worldcon.

Edited by PeterAhlstrom

I'm gonna say the Elendel Daily editors aren't consistent in their capitalization. It's an old-timey newspaper after all.

Yeah, I'm sticking with that.

By the way, Karen is making an awesome Allomancer Jak costume for me for Worldcon.

Works for me.

Oh wow, that sounds like an awesome costume.

The Allomancer Jak story has him fire three shots with one left over from a gun that was only loaded with three bullets.

Should I assume this was the "old-timey" editors mistake as well?

ps. This thing is great. I wish there was a full newspaper.

Edited by Morderkaine

The thing I found most interesting about the broadsheet was the "Is there life across the ocean?" part. Brandon mentioned several times in his Mistborn annotations that there were people living at the other pole, and also confirmed that they somehow managed to find a way to protect themselves from the sun and survive the end of the world.

I always got the feeling that he was hinting at something very ominous involving those people in future books.

My guess would be that there isn't going to be much involvement with the other people. We know that Sanderson is a big fan of little bits of irrelevant info just for the sake of world building, so I would put it in this bucket. We might see a few references, but not major part in the plot. I also wouldn't doubt that these people become important to the world in the second trilogy, as this is the point in time that there will likely be mass communication and travel between them, so he might just be setting them up for future inclusion in this book.

Yes. The long hair will be a problem though. It's not growing fast enough.

Sorry 'bout that... next time, more advance planning!

:D

I wonder how hard it would be to convert one of my dusters... I already got the guns and the hat and the vest...

More more thing to note on the broadsheet. Look at the Allomancers for Hire article. "Metalborn" appears to be the generalized term for an Allomancer or a Feruchemist.