Cultivations Real Name?!

grinachu

It's possible. We don't usually see the Shards' names go down in history, but Roshar is more cosmere-aware than the other Shardworlds, so it's possible that Cultivation's name has become a part of some cultures' lore. 

I will tentatively agree, and maybe see if I can get an answer from Brandon.

But doesn't have to be. Nightwatcher, I mean, not alive. It's possible that Cultivation just dumped a ton of her power - for some reason (as a part of the Oathpact?) into a single spren and stepped away from the action. The main argument for believing that the Nighwatcher is Cultivation is Wyndle's reference to her as "mother" - but now that we know Syl calls the Stormfather "father," I am more in favor of the idea that the Nightwatcher is the Stormfather's equivalent from Cultivation's side of things. Or, as close to an equivalent as we can get.

I can't remember this specific passage, but do we know what context it was in? Was it viewed by someone native to Roshar, or from the vantage point of someone possibly from off world? When I read the above quote, my mind went immediately to the Tears of Edgli…I'm probably wrong though, I'll have to go back and see if I can find it. 

So say I'm wrong: it's not Cultivation. Who else could it be?

My backup theory is that she was the person responsible for turning the Parshendi/Voidbringers into Parshmen. In a way she would be a parallel to Nohadon as a Non-Herald Radiant figure of importance. 

But doesn't have to be. Nightwatcher, I mean, not alive. It's possible that Cultivation just dumped a ton of her power - for some reason (as a part of the Oathpact?) into a single spren and stepped away from the action. The main argument for believing that the Nighwatcher is Cultivation is Wyndle's reference to her as "mother" - but now that we know Syl calls the Stormfather "father," I am more in favor of the idea that the Nightwatcher is the Stormfather's equivalent from Cultivation's side of things. Or, as close to an equivalent as we can get.

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 281018368 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 352016688 bytes) in Unknown on line 0It's not just that he calls her Mother- but actually that he implies she has become despondent from Honor's death. That's the main evidence behind her being Cultivation.

It's not just that he calls her Mother- but actually that he implies she has become despondent from Honor's death. That's the main evidence behind her being Cultivation.

Assuming that the Nightwatcher is a Splinter of Cultivation, I can understand her reaction to Honor's death, since it's the source of her own mother's grief.

Edit: The Tear reminds me of the Tears of Edgli in Nalthis. If we ever find that Edgli is the holder of Endowment then I'll wholeheartedly support the Reya=Cultivation theory. It would be a weak justification, but that's just how my mind works. :)

Edited by skaa

If Reya turns out to be Dalinar's wife's name, I will be very annoyed at Peter.

Unlikely. We have yet to see an exact name given to 2 different people. Vorin tradition seems to be to base the name of a person on something but the name itself will be different. I don't see Dalinar's wife being named the same thing as a star.

It's possible. We don't usually see the Shards' names go down in history, but Roshar is more cosmere-aware than the other Shardworlds, so it's possible that Cultivation's name has become a part of some cultures' lore. 

I will tentatively agree, and maybe see if I can get an answer from Brandon.

The old songs name damnation Braize, and their Heralds are non-Rosharan, so yeah. I like this find.

One more Cultivation related speculation to share, I think. Cultivation may be off-world as well  on one of the moons or another planet on the Rosharian system (see WOK ch. 75)

"This isn't just about you either," the figure said, raising his hand into the air. A light winked out in the sky, one that Dalinar hadn't realized was there. Then another winked out as well. The sun seemed to be growing dimmer. "

This is a vision of the future, so the light winking out could be Cultivation leaving the Rosharian system. Or the light could be Reya's tear- the planet or moon, dying once the last ember of Honor is extinguished. The second light could be Odium destroying Braize and coming to Roshar. I don't know, but I think Cultivation may well be off-world rather than hunkered down in Shinovar.