The Flu is getting serious this year

mattig89ch

So I don't know how many people pay attention to the health news.  But this is getting bad this year.

Go get your shots, stay home if your sick, wash your hands, and go see your doctor if your sick more then a week.

Stay safe and healthy everyone!

Fun fact! Kansas and Missouri are the two states vying for "most flu-ridden" in the entire United States! First it was Missouri in the lead, then Kansas overtook.

I live in Kansas City. For those of you not familiar with the geography of the American Midwest, the Kansas City Metropolitan Area straddles the KS-MO state line.

YAY

As far as immunizations go, I've heard that the vaccine is, at best, about 30% effective this year. Note that this DOES NOT MEAN you shouldn't get it, but i point it out because you should STILL take precautions as if you didn't get it even if you had your flu shot! Stay well everyone!

11 minutes ago, Kaymyth said:

Fun fact! Kansas and Missouri are the two states vying for "most flu-ridden" in the entire United States! First it was Missouri in the lead, then Kansas overtook.

I live in Kansas City. For those of you not familiar with the geography of the American Midwest, the Kansas City Metropolitan Area straddles the KS-MO state line.

YAY

And as far as the kansas/missouri divide goes, everyone i know from the KC area always argues and/or has pride for their east/west side! KC is very competitive with itself this way! :P

Just now, Eerongal said:

As far as immunizations go, I've heard that the vaccine is, at best, about 30% effective this year. Note that this DOES NOT MEAN you shouldn't get it, but i point it out because you should STILL take precautions as if you didn't get it even if you had your flu shot! Stay well everyone!

And as far as the kansas/missouri divide goes, everyone i know from the KC area always argues and/or has pride for their east/west side! KC is very competitive with itself this way! :P

Meh. I've lived on both sides of the state line. They really aren't that different, with the exception of Johnson County, KS being the perfect suburban nightmare.

(I live in Johnson County. You would not believe the major ritual that had to be performed in order to find a house in a neighborhood without an HOA...)

2 minutes ago, Kaymyth said:

Meh. I've lived on both sides of the state line. They really aren't that different, with the exception of Johnson County, KS being the perfect suburban nightmare.

(I live in Johnson County. You would not believe the major ritual that had to be performed in order to find a house in a neighborhood without an HOA...)

They aren't that i've found, from the few times i've been there (both sides, occasionally for trips over the years). But people are always quick to be like "I'm from kansas city. West side." or some such, and talk trash (in a more-or-less playful way) about the other side :P

35 minutes ago, Kaymyth said:

YAY

Well...that explains why illness has basically surrounded me....geez...I wonder if we are screwed if the Zombie apocalypse were to come?  

27 minutes ago, MasterJack said:

Not to brag, but I haven't gotten a flu shot, and I haven't gotten it yet :D Knock on wood :ph34r: 

I've heard much the same. I didn't get the flu shot...but I came down with a respiratory thing...debating if it was cold or the flu...got over it fairly quickly. 

26 minutes ago, Eerongal said:

They aren't that i've found, from the few times i've been there (both sides, occasionally for trips over the years). But people are always quick to be like "I'm from kansas city. West side." or some such, and talk trash (in a more-or-less playful way) about the other side :P

Yeah, people do that all the time. I mean, both states have their good and bad points. MO neighborhoods are usually a bit less uptight, but KS gets the side streets plowed faster after a big snow. Whatevs. Generally, my rule of thumb is that if it's feasible, it's usually a good idea to try to live on the same side of the state line your job is on, because filing taxes in two states is a pain in the chull butt. Other than that, hey, look! It's an arbitrary boundary! Who cares?

I don't really have a lot of patience with it. But then, I also don't have a lot of patience for the sports rivalries, either. Rampant tribalism just annoys me. :P

4 minutes ago, BadKitty said:

Well...that explains why illness has basically surrounded me....geez...I wonder if we are screwed if the Zombie apocalypse were to come?  

I've heard much the same. I didn't get the flu shot...but I came down with a respiratory thing...debating if it was cold or the flu...got over it fairly quickly. 

If you got over it quickly, it was almost certainly just a cold. The flu will knock you down and kick you in the head before sitting on your lungs with the weight of a small elephant while cackling madly. It will then stay there, sitting on your lungs, for a good week or so, unless you get a prescription for Tamiflu in which case it might be kind enough to leave in a couple days, but this is only effective if caught early.

The cold just makes you feel icky for a few days.

The flu will absolutely annihilate any feelings of health.

I had the flu once 13 years ago. I woke up one morning thinking, "Huh, my throat is kind of sore." By that afternoon, I had a fever, chills, aches, and felt like I'd been hit by a particularly enthusiastic truck. After getting dragged to the doctor by my grandmother, I got some Tamiflu and spent the next two days with barely enough energy to even eat. After those two days, I had recovered enough to shower. After showering, I was tuckered out so I had a nap.

You don't want to get the flu.

Influenza is so bad in USA? o.O Here in Poland I haven't seen even a single news report about the flu. It's just like every year, no worse, no better. And definitely we don't have tents outside hospitals to deal with people that have flu...

2 hours ago, Mestiv said:

Influenza is so bad in USA? o.O Here in Poland I haven't seen even a single news report about the flu. It's just like every year, no worse, no better. And definitely we don't have tents outside hospitals to deal with people that have flu...

We have a lot of idiots over here that will spread the flu when they have it and are moronicly opposed to the flu vaccine that comes out every year. 

2 hours ago, Mestiv said:

Actually, Europe in general is currently reported to be "above the baseline" for flu activity, according to the European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control. It's not as bad as the US currently, but it's currently worse than expected (i.e. the baseline), with a number of countries reporting a "medium" impact. Poland appears to be one of the "medium" impacts.

flu-infographic_2018_week4.png

• Chaos locked this topic