(Unpopular opinion) I found the ending to HoA underwhelming...

ICanDream

I like Mistborn. I don’t love it, but I like it.

The first book was good. The plot moved on quickly, Kelsier was an incredible character, and Vin progressed more in this book than the rest of the series. The world was also new so we were plunged into this incredible new environment. Ellend was also witty and at his best. And the ending was good - not unexpected, but good. A solid four stars.

WoA dragged but it had incredible moments. Staff was a compellingly evil villain, and his dynamic with Ellend was good. The ending was emotional and was great. 

I remember finishing this book and looking at reviews for HoA. And one thing kept being repeated: the fact that HoA had a great ending - way better than the previous books. So I dived into HoA expecting the best.

I enjoyed the non-ending section. It was, on average, as good as Well of Ascension. The n I reached the climax and...

meh. It was alright but was far less satisfying than the previous books, which both had stronger endings. This was made worse by the fact that I had hyped up the ending for myself. I think Stormlight probably spoiled me - I was used to those incredible endings so I was expecting something nearly as good as that.

Am I missing something? If so, tell me what.

You are not the first person I have seen feel this way. I thought Vin/Elend's sacrifice and Sazed's ascension was both dramatic and beautiful so I loved the ending. The re-making of the world and Spook basically becoming the leader of the new world was also awesome for me.  I can see how to some it may lack the punch they were looking for though and I am for sure guilty of overhyping a book to the point I become disappointed. I actually didn't like tWoK the first time I read it (after re-reads I do) so I guess not everything is a instant hit with everybody. While everything is still fresh in your mind are you going to read Secret History? May make you appreciate the ending a little more. 

The ending of HoA differs from the Stormlight and previous Mistborn book endings in one major thing:
It's an ending. It's intended to provide serious closure on the world for a long duration of time.. It's not written to be a climatic moment to set the stage for the next books.. But an overall, actual ending. It closes the plot arcs and provides a decent amount of closure for most of the characters, and gives you an idea of what the world will be like when we next return to it. Except the endings for Stormlight and previous Mistborn books were climaxes in the middle of story arcs. True closure is always much less exciting and strong than a climactic ending.. It's supposed to end and satisfy, not excite.

On 31/01/2018 at 10:10 PM, ICanDream said:

Am I missing something? If so, tell me what.

if you fear you are missing something you should read Mistborn 3.5 Secret History it may reconcile with the ending (it may not). It is worth the read anyway (if you like the Cosmere aspect of Brandon Sanderson books.)

• Chaos locked this topic