Rithmatist VR/airsoft arena style game

Hoohoo2

So... I've been thinking about programming an accurate rithmatist game, then about simply playing it on paper with my siblings because it would be a horror to make a video game of for my skill level... honestly, making something like that would be hard I've seen a few games, but all of them fall terribly short, they are cool, yes, but none are even close to what it really should be... anyway, that's kinda besides the point. Thing is, once we do get a true rithmatist game (I have no doubt that we will eventually), I have a really cool idea considering a play method for it.

I've heard descriptions of stuff like airsoft arenas, and have been in laser tag arenas, large, walled off areas where people who don't like conventional sports (and even those who do) can play a fun physical game. My idea is make something like that, only on 1 level. Essentially remake the melee arena in the real world, with something similar to smart boards as the floor. I've seen stuff like that done, a virtual tide pool that you can stand on top of and make ripples in. Just, ya know, melee sized. then have an uber-powered computer programmed to run a rithmatist-style game. the players would be given special shoes to detect where they are on the field to tell when they are taken out, along with some chalk, perhaps 3 sticks that they can customize before hand, color, hardness (essentially size), etc.

So... what do you guys think? You would still be left with the problem of chalklings, you would be limited to the chalklings in the machine, then also the runes to control them... it would be rather annoying. The best thing I can think of is allow submissions from players of various level versions of creatures, skeletal, shaded, etc. you would then be able to select your chalkling based on various options. Offensive/defensive, attack/health/speed, skeletal/shaded, you would then set where it is bound to (if bound), then set where it is going to be as maximum distance (if bound), or start point. if bound it would bring the chalkling closer in and have a wavy chain/rope (players decision) going to that distance. you would then trace the creature and its chain, and it would receive stats based on its  base stats and how well you mimicked the chalkling.

Further improvements may include the ability to have an account that stores favorite chalklings, as well as a name to display on leaderboard, or perhaps the possibility of polychromatic chalklings with higher stats, perhaps capable of fire damage, bark skin, etc.

So... what do you guys think of this idea? as of now, I would be stuck on the theoretical team, my programming skills leave a lot to be desired, and as far as artistic capabilities... well, they aren't that great. Feel free to share ideas to improve this, or ideas on how to do the coding, perhaps ideas for sketches, stats, etc.

• 1 month later...

Hello there,

I just made an account here so I could reply to you then realised how long ago you posted this.. Are you still interested in building this?

I am attempting building an app (unfortunately not a VR studio), and looking for people to be part of the team. Artistic skill and programming extensive knowledge not necessarily needed, just some excitement from people that know the books and the Rithmatist world in general! Even if you wouldn't like to be in design, someone who could test would be appreciated. 

I'm really happy to have found someone else who thought of the same project, I've also been playing Rithmatists on paper with my Siblings :)

This is open to anyone on the forum. If you'd be in, just drop a reply! 

Many Thanks, 

Fantagio101

On 3/18/2018 at 3:26 AM, Fantagio101 said:

Hello there,

I just made an account here so I could reply to you then realised how long ago you posted this.. Are you still interested in building this?

I am attempting building an app (unfortunately not a VR studio), and looking for people to be part of the team. Artistic skill and programming extensive knowledge not necessarily needed, just some excitement from people that know the books and the Rithmatist world in general! Even if you wouldn't like to be in design, someone who could test would be appreciated. 

I'm really happy to have found someone else who thought of the same project, I've also been playing Rithmatists on paper with my Siblings :)

This is open to anyone on the forum. If you'd be in, just drop a reply! 

Many Thanks, 

Fantagio101

Hey, honestly, 2 months isn't that long. I would love to join you in working on it, but take note that the extent of my programming knowledge is robotics, minecraft mods, and mediocre general java knowledge. Despite my low amount of knowledge I've been able to pick up programming in different environments/languages and morph to different project types faster than many other people I've seen in school, so chances are I'll be able to be helping out with programming pretty quick if you can give me info on language, environment, etc. As far as art however... well, I can do mediocre pixel art, but I doubt I'll be too helpful in this game beyond simple GUI art.

5 minutes ago, Hoohoo2 said:

Hey, honestly, 2 months isn't that long. I would love to join you in working on it, but take note that the extent of my programming knowledge is robotics, minecraft mods, and mediocre general java knowledge. Despite my low amount of knowledge I've been able to pick up programming in different environments/languages and morph to different project types faster than many other people I've seen in school, so chances are I'll be able to be helping out with programming pretty quick if you can give me info on language, environment, etc. As far as art however... well, I can do mediocre pixel art, but I doubt I'll be too helpful in this game beyond simple GUI art.

Hi,

That's great! Yea I'm sure you'd pick it up just fine, I will be learning the language from scratch as well, so no worries.

If you could drop me a PM, maybe we could get you linked to all the planning pages and I could give you some more info?

Excited to have you join the team :)

-Fanta ^_^