Anyone else love "Sixth of the DUSK"

Kaladin12

• 1 month later...

I was really surprised by Sixth of the Dusk. I am a huge bird fan so when I saw it was a magic system built around the birds I was really excited. I like the idea of this ecosystem relationship with the investiture. I really want to see more of the Aviar.

Also for me this came across as Bradon's most colorful world, even more than Warbreaker for me. The Island felt so alive and vibrant. Which I suppose is the point ;)

• 3 months later...

Sixth of the Dusk is also one of my favorite short stories! It might actually be my favorite, although it's close with The Emperor's Soul. The characters and their interactions are great, and the setting is great, but what I really loved is how seamlessly the explanation of the magic system is woven into the story: it comes piece by piece, every couple of scenes, without a single exposition dump.

The only thing I'm ambivalent about is the ending. It was great thematically, and it tied everything together...but so much tension got built up during the story that I was expecting an action-packed climax. I'm glad Brandon plans to (eventually) write a sequel.

Storms, yes! After I finished Elantris, Warbreaker, Mistborn, and Stormlight I went through and read all the short stories I hadn't gotten to yet in Arcanum Unbounded. Sixth of the Dusk was the last one I read and OH MY SHARDS I loved it so much! The cut off ending killed me. The story really sucked me in and I hope we get more eventually. 

• 5 weeks later...
On 1/29/2018 at 8:23 AM, Ammanas said:
  Hide contents

Remember how Mraize has a chicken or bird on his shoulder? There is a words of brandon where he confirms the bird is from the sixth of dusk setting. The ghostbloods apparently have the resources to obtain things like that.

Spoiler

Oh yeah on Coppermind it says that Mraize and Iyatil are both Worldhoppers

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I also read SotD in Arcanum Unbounded after finishing Sanderson's main cosmere works, and I thought it was awesome! Not only did it have some really cool references and connections to the Cosmere, but I loved it's tropical, jungly setting. This was probably one of my favorite aspects about the story.

• 3 weeks later...

This is an interesting topic for me, given that on my early reads of that story I absolutely despised it. Couldn't stand the characters, and thought the magic system was fairly weak comparing it even to other novella magics (Forgery specifically). However, on more recent rereads, it's become much better, as I've begun to appreciate what it does well, above what I feel it lacks. (Which I feel that it along with Shadows for Silence, are still Brandon's weakest works) However,, even at his worst, Brandon writes really well. 

It needs a sequel.