Spook vs. Vasher

Housedunn

Round one: Spook as a savant with full reserve of tin and two dueling canes vs Vasher at the fifth heightening and either sword or dueling cane

Round two: Spook as a mistborn ( for arguement sake at Kelsier's skill and strengths) with a full supply of all 16 metals vs. Vasher with nightblood and still 5th heightening

no outside help and in character

Round 1 would probably go to Vasher, he is more skilled with a sword and if he had an understanding of spooks abilities it would be pretty easy to take advantage of it 

Round two I would give to spook because he could just use his mistborn abilities to steelpush up to the top while vasher runs out of most of his breaths. And then it wouldn't be that hard to get Vasher close to running out of breaths 

Round one would go to Vasher, I think. Brandon has said that he's actually a lot better with a sword than Warbreaker might make it seem, but between his circumstances in that book (tired of fighting) and having Nightblood he had no real desire or need to fight with all his skill. But the fact that he could take on Denth and Arsteel and not be instantly slaughtered was a hint that he's really good, he's just not as good as those two. Combine that with being able to change his size to give himself a reach advantage, dodge attacks or otherwise mess with his center of gravity at will, I think Spook would have a very hard time competing since he's not very combat-oriented.

Round two's a lot harder to call. As a full mistborn in Kredik Shaw he has a huge mobility advantage. Since you didn't specify it, I'm going to assume he isn't carrying around a bag of coins to use as projectiles and also that there isn't a convenient stockpile of impromptu missiles he can use. Otherwise it wouldn't be hard for Spook to continually dodge while showering Vasher with Steelpushed objects until one of them does the trick. Returned don't get any special healing powers and they're just as vulnerable to injury as a normal human so that would be a pretty risk-free tactic. So assuming that's not the case because it would be too easy and Spook needs to get just as close to hurt Vasher as Vasher needs to hurt him, let's look at his options. He can push/pull on any metal Vasher's carrying other than Nightblood itself (massively Invested and thus resistant) or its sheath (aluminum) which could give him a weapon if Vasher's got metal on him. Otherwise he saves those metals for mobility which is still a huge deal and would let him run rings around Vasher. Electrum could be used in lieu of atium to predict Vasher's actions, but that would partially come down to how experienced he is with the metal. Bendalloy would also be useful to throw Vasher off at range, but once Spook got close it would be harder to use without catching Vasher in the bubble as well. Still, could be a serious shock if used at the right moment. Chromium isn't a big factor because while it could probably do bad things to Vasher, it takes time to work and requires you to be within arms reach... at which point you've already been Nightblooded to death.

So, Spook has no coins but can still maneuver rings around Vasher, he's got a couple powers that can be used to surprise Vasher and he's got super-senses and reflexes from tin and pewter, enough that if he can land a good hit on Vasher he can end the fight. Vasher too needs just one hit (and unlike Spook he doesn't really need to aim) but he's got to be careful about when he draws Nightblood and he's going to be at a bigger disadvantate in terms of being able to anticipate his opponents actions. His best chance would probably be to Awaken his belt or cloak and hope to tangle Spook up with it long enough to bring Nightblood into play. I'm not sure which way this one would go. I'm tempted to give Vasher a slight edge since he's got a personality better aligned towards fighting and Brandon has pegged him as one of the two most likely protagonists to remain standing in a no-power brawl (the second being Kelsier) compared to Spook, but the latter's mobility advantages and surprise factor could easily tip the balance.

I vote that we schedule a cage match to determine the issue. Maybe get the bookies in Silverlight to take bets on the outcome and have some Lightweavers on standby to illustrate the action and stream it to the cosmere at large.

This is a good point. I implicitly assumed that 'all sixteen metals' meant the sixteen normal metals known as of Era 2 and excluded the godmetals, but if you gave Spook atium then the situation becomes much more decisively tilted in his favor unless Vasher is able to adapt quickly like we see Vin do when fighting Zane. Not impossible but it's a lot less likely to happen since he'd lack Vin's advantage of knowing in advance how atium works and what its potential limitations are. Without that knowledge or having one's own method of peeking into the Spiritual, atium is pretty much an 'I Win' button so long as it lasts.

4 hours ago, Skip Hates Dragons said:

Round two I would give to Spook because he could just use his mistborn abilities to steelpush up to the top while Vasher runs out of most of his breaths. And then it wouldn't be that hard to get Vasher close to running out of breaths 

What's stopping Vasher from keeping Nightblood sheathed? As evidenced several times(off-screen) during Warbreaker, that thing is still quite deadly. That could actually throw Spook off for a moment or two, since swinging a sheathed sword is a distracting sight. That and the fact that Spook can't push on it.

At that point, Vasher can either attempt an awakened method of elevating himself or just walk inside Kredik Shaw and ascend that way. The shortage of tapestries makes me assume he'd ascend the interior, forcing Spook to follow. This could lead to a fun game of cat & mouse, since neither party knows the layout of Kredik Shaw. A Coppercloud might block Vasher's Life Sense, and awakened objects can distract Spook's Tin senses(and possibly his Bronze too, since the Investiture is kinda "active").

In the tin Savant scenario I believe Vasher would easily win exploit Spook's weaknesses.

In the Mistborn scenario I believe Spook would win...this whole fight will become a mini version of TLR vs God-King and many of the considerations of there would apply here

On 1/25/2018 at 5:51 AM, Yata said:

this whole fight will become a mini version of TLR vs God-King and many of the considerations of there would apply here

Not really, as Spook doesn't have infinite healing, godspeed, extreme mental speed, or any other broken abilities.

On 26/1/2018 at 1:25 PM, kenod said:

Not really, as Spook doesn't have infinite healing, godspeed, extreme mental speed, or any other broken abilities.

And Vasher can't awaken at distance, awaken metal/stone or simply put off too much stuffs

• Chaos locked this topic