[OB] Adolin, a potential Edgedancer?

On 1/25/2018 at 11:55 AM, Calderis said:

True. But as humans are heavily physical beings, and not completely compose if investiture like spren, I very much doubt that Adolin is capable of "filling the cracks" in Maya. 

The bond should do that in itself. It was what was ripped out of the spren in the first place. 

Restoration of the bond should do what is needed, and in so doing, make Adolin an Edgedancer. 

Yeah, but the point of my contention was the part about Maya and, by extension, spren having souls. Thank you for the WoB that indirectly supports that they do have souls.

Also, I agree with the nahel bond potentially being able to fix Maya. It seems that the establishment of it bond might be the source of difficulty though.

43 minutes ago, Knight Oblivion said:

Also, I agree with the nahel bond potentially being able to fix Maya. It seems that the establishment of it bond might be the source of difficulty though.

She already improving. For her to be healing, by my belief at least, the bond is already forming. We have a name, she was summoned in less than the ten heartbeats... I don't see another explanation. 

14 hours ago, Calderis said:

She already improving. For her to be healing, by my belief at least, the bond is already forming. We have a name, she was summoned in less than the ten heartbeats... I don't see another explanation. 

This sums up my thoughts too. I do believe Maya "chose" Adolin while being within Shadesmar and seeing him, interacting with him, for the first time, allowed them to form a primitive Nahel Bond which later allows her to save him, to speak her name and to become a presence towards the back of his mind. A feeling. A brushing. She became aware enough of Adolin to interact with him, to warn him of danger, to appear in less than 10 seconds (also fueled by Adolin believing she could which is very important for this event to take place), to seem worried about him when he's injured and... to feel resigned when he sends her with someone else.

The only thing we know which can allow a spren to interact with a human onto the physical realm is the Nahel Bond: there is nothing else we know of which can explain the burgeoning relationship in between Maya and Adolin, but it is broken. It is different from other bonds because Maya is dead, she lost most of her conscience, not all of it. We know the deadeyes retain some conscience as illustrated by Oathbringer recognizing Dalinar and not screaming to him. Maya is aware of Adolin, she wants him to survive, she is trying to help him and she told him her name. She would have never: 1) Be able to, 2) Want to say her name if she weren't forming a bond with him.

How it will evolve however is up for grabs. I am thinking the bond will remain weak and broken up until Adolin says enough oath to fully revive Maya. I am thinking he will not get access to either surgebinding nor stomlight until he says a few oaths or if he does, it will be sporadic, occasional. I think he has a long way to go before he is a knight.

• Chaos locked this topic