Canton of Combat

Nohadon

Tena whistled in appreciation. "Cool crossbow, bro." She waved her hand in front of his face. "OOOOOOOOOOKAY, psychopath." She looked around, and punched him on the shoulder to see how he'd react. Hmm, that's interesting. Once, so beautiful... killed with feeling... ooh, I think I got it.

"Y'know," she said to him, "you're usually able to crack a few jokes at this point, crazy or not, Ma- Klasten."

Edited by AxeliustheGreat

Annnnnnnnd now he’s in Crazy Mace mode. At least that persona was good at fighting.

You mean...

Kooky Krazy Klasten?

also I'll post about the vault when I have access to my laptop. Same warning that I mentioned to Itiah in the alleyway bar, characters can die in this.

Some things shouldn't be awakened. 

Devaan felt a connection come back to him. 

His awakened doll was moving again.

He remembered the Tia card he had strapped to it in the duel with Rashan, the card now was inside the chest of the newly repaired figure. He could switch places with it at will, so long as there was enough charge in the card and his connectionminds. He'd wait though, not swapping places with it just yet.

The door swung open with an incredibly loud creak, waking everyone in the canton, inside the vault was a large assortment of items and rarities, weapons collected from different worlds, stacks of gold, chrysts and other currency littered on the floor, hanging from the ceiling were large chandeliers. Nothing in the vault was silver, many things were sharp. Shades wandered around the room aimlessly. In the back of the room was a swirling mass of shades, upon looking closer, you see a faint glimmer and a black stone. A young woman wandered into the vault through the wall.

"Hello there! are you looking for the shadestone?" The young girl couldn't have been older than 19, she was wearing a white blouse covered in a mottled shawl, a revolver hung loosely in her right hand

@Archer @AxeliustheGreat

“Uh-huh,” Tena said to the girl. “I mean, I did just kill a bunch of shades to get it. What do I have to do now?” She glanced at Klasten. “I don’t think he’ll be worth much in a fight unless he suddenly manifests deus ex machina Fullborn powers. Right, pal?” She nudged him in the ribs playfully.

11 hours ago, Nohadon said:

He remembered the Tia card he had strapped to it in the duel with Rashan, the card now was inside the chest of the newly repaired figure. He could switch places with it at will, so long as there was enough charge in the card and his connectionminds. He'd wait though, not swapping places with it just yet.

I was wondering if you'd remember that. 

"Right." Klasten said, winking at Tena. He looked at the little girl. "You're the third impossible thing I've seen today," he said. "I hate fighting impossible things. I'm not here to fight you. I want the stone, and am willing to do whatever it takes to get it. None of this other treasure interests us. So yeah, why don't you tell us what we need to do to get your stone?"

As he talked, he casually pointed his crossbow in the direction of one of the chandeliers, preparing to fire from the hip. His finger rested on the trigger. He was fairly confident he could shoot the chain it was hanging from, sending it crashing to the ground. Tena should be fine. There's enough metal in the room to start a forge. She can just do that Pushing thing and snipe at them from the air. Klasten kept his eyes on the girl's gun. He mentally prepared his route to dodge her shot if she started firing at them. There was a nearby pile of gold that would provide good cover. Left foot, push off, duck and roll. He ran over the steps in his head as he waited for her reply.

Speaking of deus ex machina, I should note something here for use later. It's a plot twist I've got coming, I'll put it in the spoiler tag so it doesn't look like cheating later on. I'd prefer if y'all didn't read it, given that knowledge of Klasten's future plans would change how you interact with him.

Spoiler

BEWARE OF SPOILERS FOR MY FUTURE RPING:

Spoiler

This isn't Klasten. The real Klasten is still wandering the Canton, looking for the vault. Someone (I haven't decided who yet, but they're probably evil) planted this duplicate in order to get the stone for themselves. Hence why he hasn't used his powers recently, he doesn't have any. This is also why he'll have his gun later on (the kandra doesn't know that he gave it away), and why he has a hemalurgic spike in his crossbow. This Klasten is a kandra trying to imitate him, but getting a few parts wrong in their method acting (they've studied his mannerisms pretty extensively though by occasionally pretending to be Kicker). The kandra may try to stab Tena in the back (literally) to take the stone. He may also dramatically reveal his evil plan in a lengthy speech which attracts the real Klasten, who hits him in the back of the head with a frying pan. :ph34r:

Tena realized what Klasten was insinuating and created a Steelpushing bubble around herself, discluding all of the metal she had on her and whatever Mace had on him. She eyed the girl’s revolver while nervously glancing at Klasten’s crossbow. Don’t use that thing unless you have to, she thought at Klasten.

Just now, QueenOfInk said:

(am I allowed to have my character just.. walk in or?)

yeah, you can do that since this one is both a location and a guild

btw, usually we do out of character stuff in quotes like these, if you wanna do those just click this:

Capture.PNG

Edited by Cyanic

@QueenOfInk I do share the sentiments that this was an... inconvenient time to enter. Recent events have put us in an obscure vault, in the midst of a fight. If someone could just show up, it would cause trouble with people bypassing defenses in order to do assassinations, or to steal stuff. Since (iirc) this is the first time that your character has appeared, what you've done is permissible, although it would be nice if you provided a little more context for why you're here. Writing, for example, that your character was training in the Canton and attracted by the noise of Tena and I talking. 

My character's response, given the circumstances, will be rather cold. Normally, I'm much friendlier, but you caught him at a bad time.

Note: I interpreted what you said as indicating Raoni entered the room Tena and I are in. If you entered a different section of the Canton, that's fine, but I do need to know which it is. If it's the latter, we can just start writing our location in italics at the start of posts to avoid confusion. 

(Text in quotes or in a different colour is considered out-of-character discussion, by the way. Tagging people in a quote box doesn't work, so I chose to do this method this time.)

Tesel, canton of combat recruitment agent saw Raoni walk into the building.

"Welcome to the canton of combat" She said in a tour guide voice

"Would you like to join, meet with a member, learn about the place or wander on your own? This site became an island in the crater sixteen years ago when a thermonuke was dropped near it, Aonic shielding saved it from damage, and was a safe haven for many during the war" Tesel kept prattling off facts she remembered about the canton's history.

"Oh you poor, poor thing" The young girl said to Klasten, a look of knowledge dawning upon her face, as if she knew something no one else did.

"If you want the shadestone, all you have to do is reach out and grab it" She pointed to the swirling mass of shades that violently orbited the stone.

Tena braced herself. She slowly walked towards the mass of shades, then, even more slowly, took out her silver claws. She put them on, reached through one shade, and grabbed the rock. She back away and stuffed the rock into one of her pockets, watching the writhing shade that she’d killed.

@Archer @Nohadon

That seemed too easy...

Spoiler

My bet's on Devaan's doll attacking you. Or the girl's going to try and get some crossfire action going to force you to draw blood. Or the shades will eat your face just 'cause.

Klasten raised with crossbow and prepared to fire it at the girl if she took any offensive action.

5 minutes ago, AxeliustheGreat said:

Suggestion: do some character building stuff while we’re waiting for Nohadon to show up.

Klasten let his mind wander.

Are there bugs in here? That itch just won't go away. I should have checked with a local to see if the insects are poisonous around here. I wonder what Mace would be doing right now? Probably saving the world or something. He was always so altruistic. That’s what made him a good mentor. That and he had a killer right hook.  I need to practice punching. I haven’t done much of that recently. The calluses on my knuckles have faded. When I get back to the Waystop I’ll spar with Kicker. Where is Kicker? I haven’t seen him since that cosmerenaut shot him. I hope he’s okay. Can balance a spoon on my nose? That seems like something I should be able to do. Maybe I learned how to do it during my childhood. I really wish I remembered my childhood. Do I have soup? Yes, the can’s in my pocket. Or is it?

Klasten checked his pocket.

Apparently I’ve lost my soup. Or was it stolen? Tena took it. But she doesn’t look like a pickpocket. She’s more of a highwayman kind of thief. Trock! I gave it to him. Three weeks ago. Strange, he never gave it back. I should ask him for it. Hey, that’s some nice brickwork. I love a good wall.

Archer, I just read your spoiler thing. So, hey, did the real Klasten or the fake Klasten say that stuff to Tena? ‘Cause she might get a little mad. Maybe more than a little. Maybe she’ll completely destroy this Kandra and all of his relatives as redemption. 

So, if the question is if Tena gets mad easily, or if she likes Klasten, even a little, (she thinks he’s funny), the answer is yes.

Kicker strolled into the room. He walked up to... something smelled wrong about Klasten. 

Dunno if that’s allowed.

*clears throat* 

RAFO!

Spoiler

I've always wanted to say that. :D

That last post (internal monologue) was pure Klasten, everything else since Tena showed up has been Fake Klasten.

Klasten winked at Kicker and slipped him a sugar cube. He was used to working with horses. Well, this horse anyway. "C'mon boy. Come over here, out of the way." He Kicker back towards the entrance. As the two of them stood in the doorway, he petted Kicker's mane.

You dead. Er, heh, Tena does not like men in general.

Tena hummed and turned around. She ice-skated to where Klasten was... trying to get Kicker out of the room? “Hey, Kicks,” she said to the horse, stroking its snout. She grabbed the shadestone out of her pocket and showed it to the horse. “See what I got? This thing is going to be worth a lot, I think.” Kicker looked nervous, for some reason. “Hey, Klasten,” she said, “d’ya wanna hang on to this thing?” 

@Archer

"Good idea," Klasten said. "Give me the rock. I'll hold onto it. You're the better fighter, if that girl comes at us you don't want to be holding a heavy dead-weight." He held out his hand for Tena to pass him the rock. His tapped his foot furiously. 

Meanwhile, Kicker got bored of standing around, so he decided to practice his tap dancing. Clip, clop, clip, clop, tapped the horse's hooves, echoing in the large chamber. 

"Oh," Klasten said. "Okay." He backed away like a dejected puppy. His lips softened into a pout. Kicker glared at Tena as if to say, What the Hoid, girl!? See what you did to him?

"Let's get this over with then," Klasten said, a hint of sadness creeping into his voice. He reached into his bag and pulled out a ten-foot silver beam. When Tena looked surprised by this feat, he mumbled something about glass purses. He also pulled out an acetylene torch and a welding mask. "Here," he said, passing her the tools. He had no trouble trusting others to hold his things. "I'm going to hold this end of the pole in place." He demonstrated by shoving one one end of the pole into the wall, then swinging the other end so it pressed into the other wall at a bit of an angle, then maintaining pressure on it so it stayed in place. It created a barrier at waist-height. "Just spot weld that end into place to stop it from moving. It should be easy enough to hop over - Kicker, if you wouldn't mind demonstrating!" Kicker leaped over the barrier and landed next to Tena. He nudged her with his snout to indicate she should applaud.

"However," Klasten continued, "those Shades shouldn't be able to get past. I'd hate to be the guy who unleashed a hoard of angry ghosts on the Canton." He gestured at the girl with his crossbow. "Once you finish that, we can deal with her. I'd like to know if she can tell us how to use that rock. Surely it has magic powers."

Always interrogate the DM's NPC. They tend to know things. 

And no, I'm not mad at you. Klasten is though. 

The girl? Heh. What a whiner that guy is.

Tena burst out laughing at Klasten’s ridiculous face, then patted him on the shoulder. She turned on the blowtorch and welded the big silver beam in place. She leaped over it using a steel coin, then held out her hand to help Klasten over. 

As soon as the first sparks from the welder began to fly, the Shades took notice. One of the Simple Rules had been violated. Instantly, their eyes burst alight, blazing red. Moving with unnatural speed, they charged towards Tena.

When Tena offered him her hand, Klasten leveled his crossbow at her and fired it. The bolt released with a twang, flying directly towards her heart.

Kicker, recognizing Klasten’s signal, lashed out at Tena as well. His teeth ripped off a large chuck of her pants, including the pocket where she had placed the rock. Prize in mouth, Kicker jumped back over the silver barrier and ran out of the room. Klasten wasn’t far behind him. He’d thrown aside his crossbow and had drawn his aluminum handgun from a hidden holster in his thigh. He dashed out the door, firing blindly behind him as he went to discourage anyone from following him. As soon as he’d exited, the horse kicked the vault door shut. Klasten skidded to a halt.

“CLEAR!” he shouted. As he did, he threw his gun at the switch he’d affixed to the side wall. It flicked it, activating the trap he’d been preparing earlier. Simultaneously, the three explosives he’d placed on the roof, and the two on either side of the vault door, exploded. A shower of dust and bricks and rock rained down from every direction. In seconds, the room was filled with rubble from the collapsed roof. Klasten couldn’t even see the vault door for it was buried under tonnes of debris.

As he and Kicker stood in the hallway, a stray brick clipped Klasten in the side of the head. It peeled off a swathe of skin, and crushed his eye. Klasten just smiled. As he stood there, watching in triumph, his face began to grow back. In moments, it had completely healed.

“Kicker, good sir, I am indebted. You shall be rewarded for your actions,” Klasten said appreciatively. Kicker spit the rock out, and Klasten picked it up. Then his leg opened up, revealing an aluminum compartment. He placed it there, then resealed himself. “Undoubtedly the lass is now realizing that she has been duped. By me, Tarsaan, the world’s greatest kandra!”

He tore his eyes away from the destruction he had wrought. “Strangely, I have no interest in remaining here to ensure my foe has been fully dispatched. I am confident that my elaborate scheme has worked perfectly. Come Kicker, let us go celebrate our victory!”

Klasten had spent an entire day looking for the vault, but he had yet to find it. Suddenly, an intense pain flared in his head. A strong feeling, indicating something cliché was happening. Breaking into a run, he travelled through the twisting hallways of the Canton, following the feeling to its source.

After a minute, he opened a door and ran straight into... himself. Well, Tarsaan, who looked exactly like him.

“Who the- what the- Kicker, what’s going on?” he babbled.

“Time to go!” Tarsaan announced, backhanding Klasten to the ground. He jumped on Kicker (who looked a little guilty but went along with it). “Away! Away!” he shouted and rode down the hall.

Rubbing his face as he sat on the ground, Klasten was stunned. “I have no idea what’s going on,” he said.

What did just happen? Well, Klasten was replaced by a kandra. The real Klasten entered the Canton, then proceeded to get lost. Tarsaan, who had been observing him for some time, seized the opportunity. Tarsaan was very familiar with Klasten. To collect research, he’d impersonated Kicker on occasion (succeeding in eliciting his cooperation by bribing him with sugar cubes). He had assembled a good disguise, using stolen clothing from Klasten’s room at the Waystop. However, some aspects were inaccurate. He didn’t know that Klasten no longer had his handgun, or that he would never use a crossbow with a spike loaded in it. His acting was a little bit lacking at times as well, but give him a break, he was very impatient.

On 9/18/2018 at 10:43 PM, Archer said:

"I LIKE HORSES," Klasten declared as he shoved Tena into the room.

While Klasten wandered about the Canton, hopelessly lost, Tarsaan prepared his trap. He wanted the rock, and he knew that one of Klasten’s friends was likely to come to assist him. So, he planted some explosives:

On 9/17/2018 at 10:17 PM, Archer said:

He walked to the door and began to unpack some items from his bag. As he did, he took a spanreed from his pocket and sent a message.

then went along with Tena, allowing her to do all the hard work to acquire the prize, all the while planning to stab her in the back in the end. He was hoping she’d just give it to him, but his backup plan worked just as well. Now he’s got what he came for, and intends to flee the area so he study the rock and its powers in his secret underground lair. Typical evil villainy behavior.

1 minute ago, Archer said:

Klasten had spent an entire day looking for the vault, but he had yet to find it. Suddenly, an intense pain flared in his head. A strong feeling, indicating something cliché was happening. Breaking into a run, he travelled through the twisting hallways of the Canton, following the feeling to its source.

After a minute, he opened a door and ran straight into... himself. Well, Tarsaan, who looked exactly like him.

“Who the- what the- Kicker, what’s going on?” he babbled.

“Time to go!” Tarsaan announced, backhanding Klasten to the ground. He jumped on Kicker (who looked a little guilty but went along with it). “Away! Away!” he shouted and rode down the hall.

Rubbing his face as he sat on the ground, Klasten was stunned. “I have no idea what’s going on,” he said.

Sparks suddenly erupted around Tarsaan as a squad of Blood Angels fired down the hallway. The ceiling lights went red, then died, plunging the Canton into complete darkness. 

An armored hand hauled Klasten to his feet and pushed him back. "Welcome to the club," it grumbled. Two glowing eyes turned to face Klasten, even as the space marine kept up a steady stream of shells aimed at Tarsaan.