Canton of Combat

Nohadon

The girl tapped Damaya and the two shot into the sky together, after five minutes of flying like this, The two landed on a steep rocky coastal cliffside, the ocean spread out beyond it.
"This is Canton land. It's called Duelist's cliff. My name is Senrii, but you can call me Sen, I'm a skybreaker, my spren isn't a fan of me due to my Kleptomania, but he keeps me on the straight and narrow." Sen landed on a rocky outcrop and then took to the skies once more.

"There are three basic attacking manoeuvres in aerial combat!" She called out to her pupil over the roar of the coastal winds.
"Swoop, Dive and Pass! You will learn how to counter each of these, and how to tell which one an opponent is using! I will first swoop at you!"

Senrii began descending rapidly, her body angled towards Damaya as she extended her hand. A shardblade dropped into it as she dropped down, before slowly levelling out, converting her downwards momentum forward as the blade made it's ark towards Damaya's shoulder from above. She was just out of reach of Damaya, but Sen's own weapon could make contact due to it's length.

Dull the edge please, I don't want to kill her She thought to her spren.

@Sorana

Edited by Nohadon

1 hour ago, Nohadon said:

Dull the edge please, I don't want to kill her She thought to her spren.

Damaya listened to her explanations. Sen was wrong, there was another type of attack. It was called ram your claws into your opponents back and pick at their face. The thought was stupid, she knew the girl was right, but still, she couldn't help but compare her to the birds.

The ocean was beautiful, quiet, and it smelled like home. She felt Koyeda drift over slowly, her shape easily visible. It was hard to hide an island.

While the girl took of again she reached for her staff, only to let it fall to the ground when she saw the shardblade. This was supposed to be a training, wasn't it? Well, the Canton obviously took fighting more seriously than she'd have prefered. Coru formed a staff in her hands and she moved him up to intercept the blade, stopped it in time. Thankfully the girl had been slow.

"Are you crazy?"

She shouted at the girl, shocked by the way this was going.

"These shardweapons tend to cut of a limb faster than you think. What did you want me to do without one of my own?"

Which she couldn't have known, nobody had been there, when she'd spoken the oath, nobody but Araha and Nogard. And Klasten, but Klasten was dead.

"Relax. Delir dulled his edge before I attacked you." Sen commented offhandedly

"You blocked my attack with your staff. Not usually a good response against this tactic, If I had wanted to go faster, you'd have been disarmed and I could have gone for another attack. Next time I swoop at you, sidestep the blade and try make contact. One you have contact with me grab on and bring me down, I need to be able to pull up quickly otherwise I'll crash into the ground, with the added weight of another fighter, as well as the fact that you'd be attacking me with little I can do about it, I'd most likely crash into the ground."

Sen then rose once again into the air.

"The best way to counter an aerial opponent is to focus your attacks on the few moments they are vulnerable. A good fighter will always stay out of reach until they have a guaranteed hit. As an aerial fighter I'll have more reach and manoeuvrability than you. Meaning If I'm pressured I can back away and get my bearings again, you can't let me do that. Knock me down and keep me down. The easiest way to do that is with a throw. Are you experienced with grappling your opponent when it comes to fighting?"

Sen winced at memories of her teacher grabbing onto her mid-flight and flipping her over. Using her body as a cushion between him and the ground. 

"You have to wait until your opponent makes their move before you make yours, otherwise you'll be outmanoeuvred and won't ever touch the enemy."

On 2.5.2019 at 11:49 AM, Nohadon said:

Sen winced at memories of her teacher grabbing onto her mid-flight and flipping her over. Using her body as a cushion between him and the ground. 

"You have to wait until your opponent makes their move before you make yours, otherwise you'll be outmanoeuvred and won't ever touch the enemy."

Damaya shook her head. Even with a dulled blade a shardweapon was able to cut through flesh, to sever limbs, but there was no sense to discuss it. She wanted to learn, she would do it on their terms.

"I am not. I only ever used a staff, I am not experienced with anything else."

She observed Sen flying around. Wait until she made her move, then act herself. Damaya dismissed Coru and picked up her staff. If she wasn't supposed to block anything, then the wodden staff would work as well. She wasn't taking any chances to hurt the girl.

@Nohadon

Edited by Sorana

• 4 months later...

—~—~—~—~ ERA 4 ~—~—~—~—

The gates creaked open slightly as Max entered the old training grounds that preceded the main Canton of Combat. The large building could be categorised into two main sections, to Max’s observance. The first was the old and flowing architecture that predated the Seven Year War. As one of the only places protected from the thermonuclear bombardment following shortly after the War, it was perhaps the only large building that had retained the architectural history that had come before.

The second section could be seen extending from the top of the Canton into multiple added stories, as well as new additions to the training ground. Renovations, to make the Canton seem more open to newcomers. Besides, Max had thought it was time to get a little modern technology within the Canton walls anyhow.

A man at the door saluted him and Max returned the gesture, walking towards the large pieces of training equipment and taking the weather-resistant coverings off of them, readying the equipment for any newcomers who wanted to try the old toys out. The Canton was open again.

• 1 year later...