Canton of Combat

Nohadon

13 minutes ago, I think I am here. said:

“Who?” Max asked, looking behind him. “That new woman?”

"Yes. She was there, she was no illusion, no trick of my mind?"

She clung to his arm, looked back over her shoulder.

"She was dead."

Her voice broke and she shook her head.

"That can't be true."

4 minutes ago, I think I am here. said:

She clung to his arm and Max put a concerned hand on her shoulder. “Thea, are you okay?” He looked back. “We can go see that woman again, if you want. Why would she be dead?”

"What if I'm wrong? What if she only looks like her? I never found the courage to talk to her before and now she shows up and -"

She shook her head, then tried to explain.

"She looks like my sister."

6 minutes ago, Sorana said:

“She looks like my sister."

Max looked back to Althea, and it clicked. “Oh,” he said, his grip on her shoulder tightening slightly.

Her sister. Max had never met her, but that was because she was presumed dead. Max remembered when Althea had first gotten news of it, back when they had been hunting for Solace.

“We... we can check,” he said. He looked back behind him. Her sister. “What do you know about your sister? We can ask.” He looked to Althea again, his gaze gaining more resolve. “I can help you.”

1 minute ago, I think I am here. said:

“We... we can check,” he said. He looked back behind him. Her sister. “What do you know about your sister? We can ask.” He looked to Althea again, his gaze gaining more resolve. “I can help you.”

"She's called Damaya. Was left here after the war. Partially grew up on the streets, then with some merchants. Left for the other side of the world years ago."

Althea sighed.

"Would you... talk to her?"

1 minute ago, Sorana said:

"Would you... talk to her?"

Max looked back, and nodded, slowly parting from her. “Tell Devaan I’ll be back in a bit,” he said, turning on his heel and walking back the way they’d came, down the hallway, thoughts running through his mind.

Finally he got to Seymour and the woman. “Excuse me for a second Seymour,” he said, turning to the woman, extending a nervous hand, far more nervous than if he was talking to some other trainee. But the resemblance, the similarity between her face and Althea’s shocked him for a second. But, hey, maybe it was someone who looked similarly.

“Hi, I’m Max, I’m the leader of Operations at the Canton. I’m afraid we didn’t catch your name?”

2 minutes ago, I think I am here. said:

Max looked back, and nodded, slowly parting from her. “Tell Devaan I’ll be back in a bit,” he said, turning on his heel and walking back the way they’d came, down the hallway, thoughts running through his mind.

"Sure."

Althea walked to Devaan, her thoughts lingering on the woman.

"Max will be back soon. And I don't need anything. Or do you recommend me to take something beyond spheres?"

@Nohadon

=====================

Damaya looked up when a man walked over, extended his hand, told her he was one of the leaders. Hopefully he wasn't here because of her.

"I'm sorry. I guess I forgot."

She apologized.

"Damaya Vulken. I only wanted to learn something about fighting against aerial enemies."

3 minutes ago, Sorana said:

Damaya looked up when a man walked over, extended his hand, told her he was one of the leaders. Hopefully he wasn't here because of her.

"I'm sorry. I guess I forgot."

She apologized.

"Damaya Vulken. I only wanted to learn something about fighting against aerial enemies."

Max blinked, and nodded only slightly. He smiled slightly, surprise showing on his face. “And, Damaya, I don’t suppose you’ve been to the other side of the world, at all?”

Just now, I think I am here. said:

Max blinked, and nodded only slightly. He smiled slightly, surprise showing on his face. “And, Damaya, I don’t suppose you’ve been to the other side of the world, at all?”

Damaya stepped back, misstrust showing on her face, but vanishing quickly. How could he know? She was noone of power, had no connections here anymore. Or they worked with Rotcennoc, was that possible? Or with the chaos marines, they were probably looking for her as well.

"Is that important?"

She asked instead of replying. If they worked with him, was she fast enough to run away, to flee? Maybe it had been a mistake to return, but the Shadowbirds were still a danger and her last confrontation had cost her an eye. She had figured it worth the risk.

4 minutes ago, Sorana said:

“Is that important?"

“Not really, no.” Max said, bringing a hand to his mouth. Because between stepping back and asking the question instead of a simple no, told, him enough. But he Rioted trust in her, hoping it would be enough. “Damaya, maybe we should speak in private?” He looked back. “No offence, Seymour.”

16 minutes ago, Sorana said:

"Max will be back soon. And I don't need anything. Or do you recommend me to take something beyond spheres?"

"Take some stormlight bracers, less chance a radiant can steal them." He told Althea. Gesturing to some nicrocil bracers that lined the side of the wall.

"They'll key to your identity once you've used them once, meaning you'll be able to store some stormlight in them." Devaan then walked to a small crate in the corner of the room and placed his hand on it.

SPIRITWEB IDENTIFIED. DEVAAN SHEONAR.

The crate opened. Devaan smiled as he clasped some bronze bracers on his arms and took out a deck of nicrocil cards.

"I've missed these" He said before putting them in a waterproof pouch.

“Not really, no.” Max said, bringing a hand to his mouth. Because between stepping back and asking the question instead of a simple no, told, him enough. But he Rioted trust in her, hoping it would be enough. “Damaya, maybe we should speak in private?” He looked back. “No offence, Seymour.”

Damaya hesitated, but then nodded. He seemed trustworthy.

"Sure. But I'm sorry I don't think I can join. I have to leave this city soon, I fear."

======================

3 minutes ago, Nohadon said:

"Take some stormlight bracers, less chance a radiant can steal them." He told Althea. Gesturing to some nicrocil bracers that lined the side of the wall.

"They'll key to your identity once you've used them once, meaning you'll be able to store some stormlight in them." Devaan then walked to a small crate in the corner of the room and placed his hand on it.

"Thank you."

She took one one of them in her hand. She didn't wear much jewellery, apart from the necklace and the earrings Max had given her. Them she wore daily. Devaan was right, to store her stormlight, to keep it safe from someone else inhaling it. That would be useful.

"How does it work. How can I store something? I know the theory, but I've never done it before."

4 minutes ago, Sorana said:

Damaya hesitated, but then nodded. He seemed trustworthy.

"Sure. But I'm sorry I don't think I can join. I have to leave this city soon, I fear."

“What? Why not?” He asked, walking to a more private place. Well, now he knew. It was Althea’s sister. What did he say now? He’d almost scared her off if he hadn’t Rioted trust. What was he supposed to do now? “Damaya, did you know you have a sister?”

3 minutes ago, I think I am here. said:

“What? Why not?” He asked, walking to a more private place. Well, now he knew. It was Althea’s sister. What did he say now? He’d almost scared her off if he hadn’t Rioted trust. What was he supposed to do now? “Damaya, did you know you have a sister?”

"Because there are ..."

She thought how to phrase it, without sounding crazy.

"Sentinent beings that are in danger. And I will protect them, fight for them."

She explained and then went on as he was easy to talk to.

"It's complicated, but I can't leave them alone for a longer time. And then there's Koyeda. She's like a child, she needs me. Thankfully this city is built close to the ocean, otherwise I wouldn't have been able to come here at all."

Following him to a quieter corner she froze when she heard his next question.

"You have to mistake me for someone else. My family died years ago, and while I had a little brother, I never had a sister."

Damaya laughed.

"That's alright, there are so many people here."

2 minutes ago, Sorana said:

"You have to mistake me for someone else. My family died years ago, and while I had a little brother, I never had a sister."

Damaya laughed.

"That's alright, there are so many people here."

He listened to her explanation, how she had to protect people, and some Koyeda child? She had a kid? No, she said she was like a child. So, no kid.

The Bond! He could speak through the Bond.

You’re right, he said over the bond, looking at Damaya in front of him and focusing, not sending Althea the memory, but showing it to her. She’s the one.

“Yeah, I guess there are a lot of people here,” Max said, looking up to Damaya again.

“Before you go, if you need a place to stay for the night, you can use one of our trainee bedrooms,” he said. “As compensation for your inconvenience. Sorry, this is really unprofessional of me.” He smiled and continued to Riot. He couldn’t make her say yes, but he could hope she would.

Althea was silent, tried to grasp what it meant. She was alive, she hadn't closed that door, she could make things right.  After a while she replied:

Thank you. Is she alright?

=====================

7 minutes ago, I think I am here. said:

“Before you go, if you need a place to stay for the night, you can use one of our trainee bedrooms,” he said. “As compensation for your inconvenience. Sorry, this is really unprofessional of me.” He smiled and continued to Riot. He couldn’t make her say yes, but he could hope she would.

Damaya smiled as well, waved his excuse away. He looked old enough to be one of those who had lost loved ones during the war. If there was a chance that her parents or brother were still alive, she would search for them, too. Araha had been right, it seemed like this was a good place to ask for help.

"Don't worry about it. You're looking for someone?"

"And I'll gladly stay here. Then I don't have to pay for a room elsewhere. Thanks a lot for the offer. Though maybe, back to my earlier question, if it's alright for you. Can I learn here how fight an enemy that is able to fly? And maybe compensate for that."

She touched the place where her eye had been.

7 minutes ago, Sorana said:

“Don't worry about it. You're looking for someone?"

"And I'll gladly stay here. Then I don't have to pay for a room elsewhere. Thanks a lot for the offer. Though maybe, back to my earlier question, if it's alright for you. Can I learn here how fight an enemy that is able to fly? And maybe compensate for that."

“Of course,” Max, relaxing a little more now that he knew she was staying. So there would be time, for Althea to meet her, for them to talk. “One of the other leaders, you’ll be seeing him more than me, he can fly, and I’m sure he’ll be happy teaching you how to fight against it.” He smiled, remembering her first question.

“No,” he paused. “Well, if you see a man with a metal arm around, I am looking for him, but other than that, no one, really.”

She’s got an eyepatch, he said to Althea, relieved that she’d spoken after some pause. But other than that she looks fine. She’s agreed to stay in a Canton room tonight, but she says she hasn’t to go soon after that.

1 hour ago, Sorana said:

"How does it work. How can I store something? I know the theory, but I've never done it before."

"It's pretty instinctive. Once you have stormlight coursing through you, you'll feel a need to fill the bands. Tapping takes some practice to do expertly, but you can instinctively tap as well. It's a pretty surreal feeling." Devaan replied. He had been feruchemist for hundreds of years, tapping and storing had been as simple as breathing to him, after all that time it had been difficult to explain something that was so natural.

Seymour watched the conversation with interest.

"Damaya Vulcan." He muttered, sending a quick memo down to intelligence about her.
"Would you like me to schedule you for aerial assault sessions? What timeframe works for you?" He asked, sheepishly breaking into the conversation. 

12 minutes ago, I think I am here. said:

“Of course,” Max, relaxing a little more now that he knew she was staying. So there would be time, for Althea to meet her, for them to talk. “One of the other leaders, you’ll be seeing him more than me, he can fly, and I’m sure he’ll be happy teaching you how to fight against it.” He smiled, remembering her first question.

“No,” he paused. “Well, if you see a man with a metal arm around, I am looking for him, but other than that, no one, really.”

She’s got an eyepatch, he said to Althea, relieved that she’d spoken after some pause. But other than that she looks fine. She’s agreed to stay in a Canton room tonight, but she says she hasn’t to go soon after that.

"Thank you. Really."

Relieved Damaya relaxed. This was good, better than that actually. The next time she saw one of these birds she would kill them, and this time she would be better.

"Who should I ask for the room for tonight? Tomorrow I can look for something else, I have a few days."

Turning to Seymour.

"Whenever it fits you. Do you want me to pay in advance?"

============

Let's focus on Vesuvius for now. I don't know what to make of this.

Althea replied, gripping the bracelet harder than neccessary. Talk to her, walk over and talk to her, or leave it, let her go away. She had imagined what she would do, if Damaya was alive, but now that she was, that she was here, she had no idea what to do. She had wished for a second chance, but now. How would she react?

2 minutes ago, Nohadon said:

"It's pretty instinctive. Once you have stormlight coursing through you, you'll feel a need to fill the bands. Tapping takes some practice to do expertly, but you can instinctively tap as well. It's a pretty surreal feeling."

Devaan jolted her out of thoughts and she nodded. Inhaling was instinctive for her, the storm distracting and comforting as usual. It made it harder to think about details and at the same time it cleared her thoughts. She softly touched the band with her mind and then smiled. It was like an empty bowl. Pushing the stormlight inside, she observed it, as it filled the bowl, raging there, glowing softly. She continued until it was all in there and then looked up again, concentrated on something else entirely, before she reached out for the bracelet again. The stormlight was there and when she inhaled, she felt it rush into her body - but nothing had changed in the bowl. Her spheres. Wrong source of power. She pushed it into the bracelet as well and then focused. Slowly she reached out, touched it, called it, and gasped when it returned to her, her body started to glow. Hastily she pushed it all back and then looked over at Devaan.

"It could work, I guess. But it's strange. Do you have some more spheres? I'd rather not take a chance."

11 minutes ago, Sorana said:

Thank you. Really."

Relieved Damaya relaxed. This was good, better than that actually. The next time she saw one of these birds she would kill them, and this time she would be better.

"Who should I ask for the room for tonight? Tomorrow I can look for something else, I have a few days."

Turning to Seymour.

"Whenever it fits you. Do you want me to pay in advance?"

“Don’t mention it,” Max said, walking back to inside the building. He told Seymour about how he’d offered Damaya a room. “Seymour will give you the key,”

And then Max left, jogging back down the hallway, until he made it to the armoury.

“Hey,” He said as he emerged from the doorway.

@Nohadon

"Of course" Devaan selected a pouch of gems from the wall, several broams and some chips.
"They aren't encased in glass, but they still hold lots of stormlight. It's a little heavy, but it won't encumber you once you've got some running through you"
Devaan began slowly tapping wakefulness, he felt more alert and awake.

Devaan nodded to Max.
"I got Althea some stormlight bracers, courtesy of you, of course."
Devaan grinned.
"I got my backup cards!" He held out the nicrocil deck and gestured towards the small crate in the corner.

"Thanks for not breaking in because you guys couldn't open it, It has a spirit-web lock on the thing." He shuffled, old reflexes coming back as he drew a card and threw it, flicking his wrist as he did in a smooth motion. The card sailed through the air and embedded itself in a crate, rattling as it did so.

"damnation. I was aiming for the door." he told Max.
"Guess I'm more rusty than I thought"

7 minutes ago, Nohadon said:

Devaan nodded to Max.
"I got Althea some stormlight bracers, courtesy of you, of course."
Devaan grinned.
"I got my backup cards!" He held out the nicrocil deck and gestured towards the small crate in the corner.

“Oh, I remember the cards,” Max said, looking to Althea. “Old man wants to be fashionable while he fights.” He laughed and picked up a wooden staff from the wall, strapping it to his back.

He saw Devaan shoot and miss a shot at the door. “Well, at least we know if you want to hit something just aim four paces to the left of it.”

He stopped by Althea, putting a hand on her shoulder. “Are you okay?” He asked quietly.

@Sorana

“Oh, I remember the cards,” Max said, looking to Althea. “Old man wants to be fashionable while he fights.” He laughed and picked up a wooden staff from the wall, strapping it to his back.

He saw Devaan shoot and miss a shot at the door. “Well, at least we know if you want to hit something just aim four paces to the left of it.”

He stopped by Althea, putting a hand on her shoulder. “Are you okay?” He asked quietly.

@Sorana

"Old?" Devaan mimicked an old, raspy voice.
"You young whippersnapper! I'll still take you!" Devaan laughed with Max.

"And of course I want to be fashionable. You have to have style when you fight. Otherwise it's just idiots hitting people with clubs brainlessly. Or staves, in your case" He threw another card, this time it was a little close to the door. 

6 minutes ago, I think I am here. said:

"I don't know."

She replied truthfully.

"It's good news I guess. The rest will have to wait. I don't think I've grasped yet, what it means."

She packed the chips and broams into her bag. They were heavy, but he was right, as soon as she'd inhaled it would be alright. She pushed the bracers over her hand and then laughed.

"When I fight I usually try to survive, I don't really care how I look."