[OB] Chance to get a WoB (closed)

-------------

*EDITED*

This is now closed, the deadline has come and gone. @RShara's question got the most votes:

On 1/21/2018 at 10:39 PM, RShara said:

Please confirm that Eshonai is dead and gone Beyond, and will not be returning in any form other than as a flashback character?

Thanks for posting all those great questions!

-----------

Hi All,

My birthday is coming up in February, and I am going to be ordering 3 signed hardcovers from Brandon's store, I already have 2 questions picked out for personalizations, but wanted to give you wonderful sharders the opportunity to ask one of my 3 questions.

If you have a question you are dying to ask Brandon, post it here, and the question that is related to Stormlight Archives with the most upvotes by 12:00 am PST on Sunday the 28th of January will be one of the questions that I will submit with my book order. The question can be tangentially related to Stormlight Archives (like "Is Stormlight really Endowment's investiture?") and it can be a 2 part question, but I'm not sure if there is a character limit to the questions, so try to keep it to around 240 characters including spaces and your username (I'm going to put that in the question so that the WoB will list the source of the question).

Excited to see what some of the smartest people on this planet or any other (I think) come up with!

EDITED*
Feel free to post as many questions as you want!

Edited by hoiditthroughthegrapevine
Question has been picked

18 minutes ago, MountainKing said:

If I awaken an object, by an illusion made from investiture, will the awakening process drain the illusion?

Just wanted to clarify this @MountainKing, could this question also be phrased as:

"If I awaken an object near an illusion made from investiture, will the awakening process drain the investiture from the illusion as well?"

17 minutes ago, RShara said:

Please confirm that Eshonai is dead and gone Beyond, and will not be returning in any form other than as a flashback character?

Here's a song, sung to the tune of "Timber" by Kids Bop, just for you @RShara:

It's going down—the theory Timbre
Is Eshonai, and she's Alive
Let's set it straight,
so y'all remember
that Eshonai
is dead and gone

Spoiler

Were there less than 20 Desolations? And if so, is this one, the True Desolation, the 16th?

@hoiditthroughthegrapevine Please, I need validation for my modified version of Bort’s The Unmade Are Heralds theory. And if we get a RAFO, please comment on the tone with which he said it. Of course, if he asks something like “What makes you think that?”, feel free to cite the thread as appropriate.

Edited by The Thinking Herald

18 minutes ago, The Thinking Herald said:

@hoiditthroughthegrapevine Please, I need validation for my modified version of Bort’s The Unmade Are Heralds theory. And if we get a RAFO, please comment on the tone with which he said it. Of course, if he asks something like “What makes you think that?”, feel free to cite the thread as appropriate.

This is going to be an answer signed in a personalized book @The Thinking Herald, so it will be a written reply. I don't think we'll be able to tell anything by the way in which he writes his answer, but who knows, the angle of penmanship of written WoBs and their signifigance might be some sharder's special area of expertise.

So just one thought on your question, it could be potentially phrased like this:

Is the current desolation the 16th desolation? If not, how many desolations have there been?

This has the purpose of getting a solid answer on the most important question, and the possibility of pinning down the exact number of desolations. Both of these questions stand a fair chance of being RAFOed.

But your strategy, now that I think about it, might be the better one, the broad up front question that gives Brandon more wiggle room, is still useful for narrowing down how many desolations there might have been, with the additional question being the specifically right one, might (if it's right) get him to add something amazing. This is like the danger of future sight in microcosm, the possibilites and permutations branch out in a dizzying array of self-recrimination and alternating visions of brilliance. Who can say, it's your question to pose, these are just some thoughts about it really.

Edited by hoiditthroughthegrapevine

@hoiditthroughthegrapevine

The wording's up to you. With the way I'd worded it, there's a chance that he'd RAFO the second one but "yes" the first, which would revert us back to other peoples' suggestions in the thread. With the way you've worded it, he may just RAFO both. Up to you, though. As you said, the dangers of attempting to predict the future are many, with the possible branches spewing out in a mess of failures and successes.

P.S. Please specify that the question refers to only the Parshmen=Voidbringer Desolations, and does not include the Desolations where the Humans=Voidbringers.

This is totally up to you, how you would like to phrase your question, I was just trying to clarify. The thread is still young and your post is editable, feel free to make any modifications to you that you want (any form of this question would be great to ask, but if there is more specificity that you want add it in now).

56 minutes ago, John203 said:

People arent going to believe it unless he says she is dead and gone Beyond permanently.

Phrasing for that desolations question could be, "how many times have the Heralds broken and allowed the Fused to return to Roshar?"

Edited by RShara

Just now, John203 said:

That one does say she is dead. Here is another where he talks about the structure of viewpoints in book 4, acknowledging that Eshonai is dead.

https://wob.coppermind.net/events/315-general-reddit-2018/#e8979

Yes but they are still not definitive enough for a lot of people that I have talked to, so I want a definite one to end the debate for good.

4 hours ago, RShara said:

Yes but they are still not definitive enough for a lot of people that I have talked to, so I want a definite one to end the debate for good.

@RShara wants Eshonai on screen destroyed by Nightblood so people will stop making theories lol. I agree that she is dead, gone, and will not come back.  

Two others:

Is the Shard correctly named Odium, or would Passion be a possible name if it had another Vessel?

Does a region or culture's expectation affect their appearance?  Like, Rosharans think of the Alethi as tall, dark haired, lightly tanned.  Does that make it more likely they will actually look that way?

My biases may shine through but I think indirectly asking about the Bo-Ado-Mishram theory or the Siah stands a decent chance of getting answered just because he'd be surprised by the question (if it's on to something)

Some possible questions regarding that:

"Have we ever heard of the character Queen Tsa is based on?" (Both Yes and RAFO supports the Bo-Ado-Mishram theory somewhat)

"Did Bo-Ado-Mishram have a hand in the creation of the Siah?" (Rather direct, likely to get RAFO'd)

"Did Bo-Ado-Mishram take something of Ishar's?" (Judging the Unmade Herald theory)

"Was Ishar into music? Was he a good singer?" (His picture looks like he's directing a choir in front of the moons, and he has previously indicated that we may not be way off base with thinking that the moon's pattern is musical in nature)

"Are any of the moons made of gemstone?" (I think they're related to the distribution of Stormlight and Voidlight by Bondsmiths or Bo-Ado-Mishram)

"Do the moons give off their own light, or do they simply reflect sunlight like ours?" (A RAFO is basically a confirmation)

Some other ones:

"Does Autonomy have more than one Shardpool?" (I think the Taldaini shardpool is basically the sum total of fresh water, and there's nowhere with enough fresh water on Taldain to form a perpendicularity - because the Shardpool is divided across several planets)

"Like Herr and Frue, was it intentional that 'Trell' is the Scandinavian word for 'Slave'? How about 'Teft' for 'skill' or 'on the right track'?"

"Would Lift get an upset stomach from drinking Taldaini fresh water?" (If she can only metabolize Cultivation's investiture, it'd make sense)

"Was Aon Ati named after a kind man who hoped to hold Ruin in check by working with its opposite?"

"Was the Ghostblood symbol created with knowledge of Aon Ati?" (When I heard the description of three overlapping diamonds, I imagined Aon Ati, not the one on the Coppermind)

Edited by Tobbzn

16 minutes ago, Tobbzn said:

"Would Lift get an upset stomach from drinking Taldaini fresh water?" (If she can only metabolize Cultivation's investiture, it'd make sense)

We already have an answer to that one.

Gary Singer (paraphrased)

Could Lift convert food from other cosmere worlds into Stormlight?

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)

Yes. Lift's Spiritweb has something changed about it to allow converting mass to Investiture directly.

source