Books to read

Depends on your tastes. Kings of the Wyld by Eames, The Lies of Locke Lamora by Lynch, The First Law Trilogy by Abercrombie, The Red Rising series by Pierce Brown will appeal to just about anyone though.

Edited by Ammanas

The Kingkiller Chronicles by Patrick Rothfuss and The Ranger's Apprentice by Joe Flanagan are some of my favorite series of all time. If you haven't read them already, be warned that the Kingkiller Chronicles is an uncompleted trilogy with no real clear date on when the third one will come. The Ranger's Apprentice is more geared toward a YA reading audience, but I still found them quite enjoyable. 

Edited by AC12

*Ahem* Redwall for YA, and the Rirya Revelations.

On 1/16/2018 at 5:47 PM, RiyriaMistborn said:

Royce and Hadrian are paired together so they can learn from one another. Royce is a former professional assassin that grew up in the slum streets. He places little value on human life and trusts no one. He's cynical and lacks any concept of morality.  Right is what's good for him and wrong is what's bad. He's also the absolute king of sass. Hadrian is a former mercenary who can defeat anyone in a one-on-one fight, and even several opponents at once. While he has a bloody history himself, he remains relatively jovial and trusting of those around him. Sometimes a little too much. He's also the prince of sarcasm and a dreamer who always wanted to save the proverbial princess. (Sometimes an actual princess...)

The two are hired by various individuals for thieving and frame jobs, essentially. Archie wants dirt on Lanaklin, so he hires the pair to steal some love letters, which they're then hired by the writer of the letters to steal them back, and so forth. 

There's tons of plot twists woven throughout the books, and they're full of laughs, and some heartbreak as well. Sullivan isn't shy about killing characters off. But if you need a pick me up series after finishing Oathbringer, you should definitely check out Theft of Swords. :)

Edited by Roadwalker

Kingkiller Chronicles: Pat Rothfuss

Riyria Revelations and Riyria Chronicles: Michael J. Sullivan

Study series (Poison Study, Magic Study, Fire Study): Maria V. Snyder

Sword of Truth series: Terry Goodkind

(YA) The Shattered Realms series: Cinda Williams Chima

(YA) The Beyonders: Brandon Mull

(YA) The Great Tree of Avalon trilogy: T.A. Barron

Those are some of my favorite series that I've reread several times each.  :)

I know what you mean @Bondsmith Eregion. Usually when I finish (re)reading one of Brandon’s I immediately start reading another one. It’s just so hard to read other authors, now, but there are a few I enjoy  

19 hours ago, AC12 said:

The Kingkiller Chronicles by Patrick Rothfuss

16 hours ago, Roadwalker said:

the Rirya Revelations

+1 both of these. Kingkiller in particular is very good, and I would even go so far as to put it on the same level as Brandon’s stuff, though it has a different feel/style. 

13 hours ago, RiyriaMistborn said:

Sword of Truth series: Terry Goodkind

Personally I lost interest in SoT once it got to the point where it was feeling a direct rip off of Wheel of Time. The first book, Wizard’s First Rule, was good, but I don’t think I’d recommend anything beyond that. 

And speaking of Wheel of Time, I assume you’ve read it if you’ve read all of Brandon’s books, since he was called in to finish the series after Robert Jordan died. If not, definitely read WoT next. 

As for recommendations that haven’t been made yet.... I highly recommend The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern. It’s masterfully written and just sucks you in- in the sense that you feel like you’re there experiencing all the magical sights and sounds and wonders. 

Ready Player One is a really fun sort of  modern/sci-fi/pop-culture book, especially if you are into 80’s movies and music, video games, World of Warcraft, and etc. And it’s being made into a movie that is coming out at the end of March. :D

And if you like Ready Player One, the Bobiverse trilogy is also really good and fun and captures a lot of the same sort of snarky, modern-day humor that RPO has. 

Edited by Herowannabe

If you haven't read Earthsea, do it, dooooo ittttttt.

Until recently I'd definitely have recommended the Powder Mage series by Brin McClellan as a must-read but I'm slightly less enthusiastic after finishing the original trilogy. The setting is really cool (think fantasy French Revolution), the interplay of different magic systems with the technology level of the setting is interesting and the various storylines going on pretty much guarantee you'll find at least one plot thread/character that will draw you in. I just wasn't as sold on some of the writing in the final book. But I'd probably put it on the 'give it a look anyways and see if it looks interesting to you' list.

On 1/22/2018 at 7:34 PM, CrazyRioter said:

Have you tried Jim Butcher's Dresden Files and Codex Alera series?

Seconding this one. They're a bit 'softer' in their magic systems than Brandon's usual faire but they still have various rules they abide by and the protagonists have a very similar tendency to pull out creative applications of known powers that will have viewers nodding and wondering 'Hey, why didn't I think of that?!'. And they're very fun to read. Probably the best recommendation I can think to give though? I got into them because Brandon recommended Jim Butcher at a signing. He was asked what he was currently reading and mentioned Jim's latest book (The Aeronaut's Windlass, which is steampunk to Dresden's urban fantasy and Alera's... everything) which I read and enjoyed and then took the plunge with his other works. I figure anything Brandon thinks interesting has to be worth a look. xD

+1 for Kingkiller Chronicles. So long as you can exhibit iron patience as we wait for the third book :P 

Have you tried reading the Broken Earth series by N. K. Jemisin? I picked it up while waiting for friends to finish OB so I can borrow it ('cause I need a break from buying books) and it's pleasantly well-written! 

As was already said, The King Killer Chronicle by Pat Rothfuss. Wise Man's Fear(number 2 in the series) is my favorite fantasy book of all time. 

Lightbringer Series by Brent Weeks. Hilarious, mature, in-depth and dynamic series. The characters are awesome and the magic system is one of my favorites. 

Inheritance Trilogy by NK Jemisin. The rhythm of her writing, in my opinion, is the best in the biz. Plus, in this series I think she has written the best depiction of gods in any fantasy series. First book an awesome 8/10, second book is a decent 6/10, third book is a solid 10/10. 

The Broken Earth series, also by NK Jemisin, has won almost literally every fantasy fiction award possible. Amazing series overall. 

If you want to step away from fantasy, and jump into a good apocalyptic thriller, you could check out The Passage by Justin Cronin. A good ole' fashion page turner. 

Kings of the Wyld by Nicholas Eames is a newer book that is probably the funniest fantasy book I've ever read. Seriously. It's about a retired heroic merc band that, spoiler alert, come out of retirement. And it is hilarious in the fact that these old men come to grips with their age and kind of just stumble through dangers with a combination of rusty skill and pure luck. 

If you want to go grimdark, I would go for the Raven Shadow Trilogy by Anthony Ryan and the Unhewn Throne Trilogy by Brian Stavely. Raven's Shadow is really dark and brutal, but not excessively so. Unhewn Throne is also pretty dark but is some lighter parts to balance it out. 

If you've played the Witcher games, the books are also really good. 

The Shattered Sea series by Joe Abercrombie is also grimdark and very could. They're also on the small side. Each book is roughly the size of a Brandon Sanderson novella. 

The Initiate Brother Duology is pretty good, but takes some time to get started. 

1 hour ago, Ammanas said:

Have you read Iron Gold yet? I am currently listening to it now and should finish in the next three days or so.

Nope, I’m finishing Oathbringer (almost done) and then I’ll probably wait until a library copy of Iron Gold is available. Can’t really afford to just go buy books right now. My parents got me Oathbringer (on the Kindle fortunately, to save my wrists) for Christmas or I might still be waiting for that.

2 hours ago, Jondesu said:

Nope, I’m finishing Oathbringer (almost done) and then I’ll probably wait until a library copy of Iron Gold is available. Can’t really afford to just go buy books right now. My parents got me Oathbringer (on the Kindle fortunately, to save my wrists) for Christmas or I might still be waiting for that.

Gotcha. I was able to get Iron Gold for $4.99 because audible had a black friday deal where it was that price for one credit for three months. I agree about Oathbringer being hard on the wrists. I will probably be going the Kindle route for Stormlight to save on space and easier to carry around. 

• Chaos locked this topic