Specific plot detail question about The Final Empire (Book 1)

kaduzy

So I just got done listening to the audiobook of Mistborn 1 (which I'd read 2 or 3 times before) and something dawned on me: how'd the ministry find out about Renoux and his connection to Kelsier, and how'd they find out he was leaving that day in order to find them on the canals?  Kelsier thought Marsh must have been broken by torture and told the ministry about it, but of course it turned out that Marsh was just becoming an inquisitor.  So if Marsh isn't the one who gave them that information, then who did?  Now that it's occurred to me it's really bugging me, lol.

44 minutes ago, kaduzy said:

how'd the ministry find out about Renoux

It's answered in the Annotations.

Brandon Sanderson

By the way, the reason the Lord Ruler's army attacked Renoux was not because they broke Marsh. It's because the Inquisitors–still tracking Vin–finally managed to trail her to House Renoux, and therefore to Valette Renoux. They hit the convoy, fully expecting her to be on it. When she wasn't, they devised their trap, knowing that Kelsier would come for his friends. They never even suspected that the team had managed to get a mole into the Ministry ranks.

• Chaos locked this topic