[Spoilers] Secret History Integration

Treamayne

I recently re-read Dresden Files, including all Short Stories, Graphic Novels and Novels in chronological order (if somebody needs a list, let me know) and it got me thinking... Could I do the same with Mistborn? Granted, it's not all discrete stories that can "neatly fit btwn novels X and Y," but it seemed possible. So this last week I set out to do just that. Has anybody else tried to do similar?

I started with Eleventh Metal (Obviously), then moved on to Mistborn: The Final Empire (TFE) until Kelsier dies. I then attempted to "integrate" the chapters of Mistborn Secret History (MSH) where they take place while reading the rest of the first trilogy. Below is my attempt at codifying at which point in the trilogy I read each chapter/section of MSH. Though, in many spots the MSH chapters would need to be parsed out into scenes to be truly integrated. Thoughts, Ideas, Concerns?

Spoiler

Part One
 - 1: TFE - Read between Ch 34/35 - Kelsier Dies
 - 2: TFE - read btwn Ch 38/Epilogue - TLR dies

Part Two
 - 1: Btwn TFE/WoA - weeks and months after end of TFE, before the year that passed for start of WoA
 - 2: WoA  - ~ Ch 51 - Armies around Luthadel - Stabbing at Eland (more time montage)
 - 3: WoA  - During Ch 58 - Vin/Eland approach Well - Ruin's Release
 - 4: WoA  - During Ch 59 - After Ruin's Release

Part Three - All of part three seems to come during the two weeks between Ch 59 and the WoA Epilogue
 - 1: WoA  - Btwn 59/E - Funeral, Sent to Khriss
 - 2: WoA  - Btwn 59/E - Meeting with Khriss
 - 3: WoA  - Btwn 59/E - Glimpse of Spiritual Realm

Part Four - All of part four seems to come during the year between WoA and HoA.
 - 1: WoA  - Btwn 59/E - Starting West
 - 2: Btwn WoA and HoA - Traveling West
 - 3: Btwn WoA and HoA - Still Traveling West
 - 4: Btwn WoA and HoA - Arriving at Ocean - btwn worlds

Part Five **   
 - 1: HoA  - Btwn Prologue/Ch 1 - Travel btwn realms
 - 2: HoA  - Ch 7 - Finding the Ire
 - 3: HoA  - Ch 17 - Stealing from the Ire

Part Six
 - 1: HoA  - During Ch 27 - Traveling back - Arrival at Fadrex - Warning Vin
 - 2: HoA  - During Ch 37 - Siege of the Koloss
 - 3: HoA  - During Ch 47 - Fights in the army - Leaving Fadrex
 - 4: HoA  - After Ch 55 - Leras, as preservation, dies - Kelsier Ascends - Warning Vin
 - 5: HoA  - During Ch 58 - Kelsier helps Spok throw off Ruin
 - 6: HoA  - During CH 63/64 - Spook's Dream, Message to Vin
 - 7: HoA  - During CH 69, 72 - Goradel's Journey - Vin arrives at Luthadel - Vin Ascends
 - 8: HoA  - During Ch 81 and 82 - Eland's Death, Final Clash of Vin and Ati
 - 9: HoA  - During Ch 82 - Reworking the world
 - E: HoA  - After Epilogue - Influencing Spook

** Admittedly arbitrary, I chose the integration for Ch 2 and 3 because because Part six was obviously Chs 27, 37, 47 andjust thought CH 7 and 17 made sense.

PS: Now starting Allow of Law for the remainder of my most-recent Mistborn read through

Edited by Treamayne

1 hour ago, Treamayne said:

I recently re-read Dresden Files, including all Short Stories, Graphic Novels and Novels in chronological order (if somebody needs a list, let me know) and it got me thinking... Could I do the same with Mistborn? Granted, it's not all discrete stories that can "neatly fit btwn novels X and Y," but it seemed possible. So this last week I set out to do just that. Has anybody else tried to do similar?

I started with Eleventh Metal (Obviously), then moved on to Mistborn: The Final Empire (TFE) until Kelsier dies. I then attempted to "integrate" the chapters of Mistborn Secret History (MSH) where they take place while reading the rest of the first trilogy. Below is my attempt at codifying at which point in the trilogy I read each chapter/section of MSH. Though, in many spots the MSH chapters would need to be parsed out into scenes to be truly integrated. Thoughts, Ideas, Concerns?

Reveal hidden contents

Part One
 - 1: TFE - Read between Ch 34/35 - Kelsier Dies
 - 2: TFE - read btwn Ch 38/Epilogue - TLR dies

Part Two
 - 1: Btwn TFE/WoA - weeks and months after end of TFE, before the year that passed for start of WoA
 - 2: WoA  - ~ Ch 51 - Armies around Luthadel - Stabbing at Eland (more time montage)
 - 3: WoA  - During Ch 58 - Vin/Eland approach Well - Ruin's Release
 - 4: WoA  - During Ch 59 - After Ruin's Release

Part Three - All of part three seems to come during the two weeks between Ch 59 and the WoA Epilogue
 - 1: WoA  - Btwn 59/E - Funeral, Sent to Khriss
 - 2: WoA  - Btwn 59/E - Meeting with Khriss
 - 3: WoA  - Btwn 59/E - Glimpse of Spiritual Realm

Part Four - All of part four seems to come during the year between WoA and HoA.
 - 1: WoA  - Btwn 59/E - Starting West
 - 2: Btwn WoA and HoA - Traveling West
 - 3: Btwn WoA and HoA - Still Traveling West
 - 4: Btwn WoA and HoA - Arriving at Ocean - btwn worlds

Part Five **   
 - 1: HoA  - Btwn Prologue/Ch 1 - Travel btwn realms
 - 2: HoA  - Ch 7 - Finding the Ire
 - 3: HoA  - Ch 17 - Stealing from the Ire

Part Six
 - 1: HoA  - During Ch 27 - Traveling back - Arrival at Fadrex - Warning Vin
 - 2: HoA  - During Ch 37 - Siege of the Koloss
 - 3: HoA  - During Ch 47 - Fights in the army - Leaving Fadrex
 - 4: HoA  - After Ch 55 - Leras, as preservation, dies - Kelsier Ascends - Warning Vin
 - 5: HoA  - During Ch 58 - Kelsier helps Spok throw off Ruin
 - 6: HoA  - During CH 63/64 - Spook's Dream, Message to Vin
 - 7: HoA  - During CH 69, 72 - Goradel's Journey - Vin arrives at Luthadel - Vin Ascends
 - 8: HoA  - During Ch 81 and 82 - Eland's Death, Final Clash of Vin and Ati
 - 9: HoA  - During Ch 82 - Reworking the world
 - E: HoA  - After Epilogue - Influencing Spook

** Admittedly arbitrary, I chose the integration for Ch 2 and 3 because because Part six was obviously Chs 27, 37, 47 andjust thought CH 7 and 17 made sense.

PS: Now starting Allow of Law for the remainder of my most-recent Mistborn read through

This is actually a really good order. I think I'll try it out on my next re-read.

And I haven't yet read Dreden Files, mostly due the fact that people seem to have multiple opinions on what the reading order should be. So, I'll take ya up on the offer of your idea of the chronological order.  

That seems like a good order to me (though I was going off memory without checking the books).  Since the books themselves aren't 100% synced time wise in between viewpoints, the effect shouldn't be ruined if some bits are slightly out of order.  

Cool idea.  I'd like to try it too.  It would be fun to do a whole Cosmere reread and fit all the short stories and stuff in. 

The real question is where to fit in Allomancer Jak ;)

2 hours ago, Comatose said:

The real question is where to fit in Allomancer Jak ;)

He was in the gentleman adventuring business before the onscreen events of Era 2 so you could probably read the Pits of Eltania story (the Elendel Daily segment first, then the Arcanum Unbounded one that follows it chronologically) before The Alloy of Law. The story segment in the Shadows of Self broadsheet likewise must have happened before its 'publication' contemporary with that book, so read the Allomancer Jak story before the book it's contained within, ditto for the Nicki Savage broadsheet story in Bands of Mourning. That would be my way of tackling it if I were to try to read everything chronologically.

• 1 year later...

A bit late to the party here, but just finished a reread with SH integrated per this post and it worked out fantastically.

I'd read SH when it came out, but wanted to do a reread with the trilogy to have it all together and fresh (reread Elantris first too to have my It fresh).

Plus this post finally made me create an account instead of lurking...

Anyway, on to Warbreaker next, will probably wait to reread Era 2 until the last book comes out.

• Chaos locked this topic