The Everstorm and Shinovar

dyring

Firstly, the Everstorm comes from the other direction.

It will be full strength when getting to Shinovar, the only "earthlike" land in Roshar. In addition, the mountain protection have an opening on the west side.

Thus, will shinovar face a full strength highstorm when the Everstorm hits, something they have never done before? Will it be blown away completely?

And also, will the Everstorm weaken as it reaches Alethkar like the Highstorm weakens in the west? So both sides get one strong and one weak, and the middle parts of Roshar get two eaqually strong storms?

You're assuming (perhaps quite rightly, but still assuming) that the Everstorm "recharges" at some point over the ocean, rather than perhaps over the place it was first born (the Shattered Plains), the Origin or some other location.

Either way I agree that at least parts of Shinovar are not going to have a very fun time of it.

Edited by Kurkistan

I thought of this and checked out the map of Roshar.  It looks like Shinovar has a good sized mountain range on the western side as well.  The only big gaps are to the north and south.  So if the Everstorm comes in at an angle (is the Origin to the SE?) it might get pretty bad, but if it comes in fairly westerly, then Shinovar should be safe.

Even with that mountain range, I doubt they're that safe. Compare that relatively small range to the massive one to the East, and that after the storm's been broken by a continent and quite a few other mountain ranges. It doesn't seem that the land in the lee of the Horneater peaks, for instance, is sheltered overmuch from the storms.

I thought of this and checked out the map of Roshar.  It looks like Shinovar has a good sized mountain range on the western side as well.  The only big gaps are to the north and south.  So if the Everstorm comes in at an angle (is the Origin to the SE?) it might get pretty bad, but if it comes in fairly westerly, then Shinovar should be safe.

But then everywhere else would be protected by both mountains, so either the everstorms are just going to be gentle breezes or something else is going to happen

Yeah, most likely the north and south borders of Shinovar are going to be pretty badly hit, but the center should be relatively calm.  The Everstorm is going to cause a lot of problems for just about everyone, though.

I wonder if the possibly lessened effect in Shinovar will be counterbalanced by them not using parshmen?

It would seem more likely that its the combination of the mountains and the weakened highstorm after passing over all of Roshar that protects Shinovar.

So depending on where the Everstorm recharges(if it recharges at all, for all we know it may not weaken the same way as a highstorm does), it could mean that the farmlands of shinovar blows away.

Guest Shash

I'm pretty sure the Everstorm and regular Highstorms will be slightly unequal their speeds so that their collisions will happen over a different portion of Roshar each time they collide.

Shinovar has a mountain range to the west, true, but it's also right on the coast. Living in an area where there were a lot of hurricanes and tropical storms, this is BAD. If you let the storm build up enough momentum over open water without anything to break it, the storm is going to be massive and probably ten times worse than any other highstorm. Shinovar maybe can pull through okay, but the damage is still going to be very severe in sections, especially where the mountains don't extend far enough. 

Yeah, most likely the north and south borders of Shinovar are going to be pretty badly hit, but the center should be relatively calm.  The Everstorm is going to cause a lot of problems for just about everyone, though.

I wonder if the possibly lessened effect in Shinovar will be counterbalanced by them not using parshmen?

Hm. Do they not use parshmen, then? I assumed the same, but I don't think there's anything that says they don't. I feel that the Shin would have listened when they were contacted about the Everstorm, and Dalinar doesn't mention them. That could mean they don't use parshmen- though the Alethi should have warned them anyway-but not necessarily. I wonder if they even have spanreeds for Shinovar. We'll see, I guess.

Well there weren't any parshmen mentioned in any of the Shin glimpses we've had so I assume they don't have any, but you're right that we don't have proof.  Also, they don't believe in Voidbringers, so who knows, I guess...lol

I'm pretty sure the Everstorm and regular Highstorms will be slightly unequal their speeds so that their collisions will happen over a different portion of Roshar each time they collide.

The Stormfather says as much, yes. I don't know for slight the difference is, but if the storms meet in different places I can see ALL of Roshar being Desolated in no more than a few years, depending on their frequencies. Urithiru should be safe, but how many people can it house?

Guest Shash

The Stormfather says as much, yes. I don't know for slight the difference is, but if the storms meet in different places I can see ALL of Roshar being Desolated in no more than a few years, depending on their frequencies. Urithiru should be safe, but how many people can it house?

Perhaps that's the real purpose of Urithiru. A kind of Noah's arc for the Desolations.

This is probably overly optimistic, but I wonder if Shinovar's protection from the highstorms doesn't just come from the mountains?  Perhaps some sort of magic (Cultivation, maybe) is protecting Shinovar more directly?  It's always seemed odd to me that mountains would weaken the storm THAT much.  The characters seem to believe it, but they could be wrong.

If Shinovar has some kind of magical protection, maybe they aren't completely screwed.

Shinovar has a mountain range to the west, true, but it's also right on the coast. Living in an area where there were a lot of hurricanes and tropical storms, this is BAD. If you let the storm build up enough momentum over open water without anything to break it, the storm is going to be massive and probably ten times worse than any other highstorm. Shinovar maybe can pull through okay, but the damage is still going to be very severe in sections, especially where the mountains don't extend far enough. 

I'm kind of thinking it'll be somewhat like the southern Andes in South America...the western side is forested while the eastern side is dry close to the mountains because the block storms and rainfall.

But I could easily be wrong--the Everstorm is much greater than most of our weather systems and its interaction with deep, cold water and sudden mountains can't be 100% predicted.

If you let the storm build up enough momentum over open water without anything to break it, the storm is going to be massive and probably ten times worse than any other highstorm. 

Since Roshar only has the one continent, both the Everstorm and Highstorm will be crossing the same amount of open water without anything to break it, so I don't know that it'll necessarily be worse.

This is probably overly optimistic, but I wonder if Shinovar's protection from the highstorms doesn't just come from the mountains?  Perhaps some sort of magic (Cultivation, maybe) is protecting Shinovar more directly?  It's always seemed odd to me that mountains would weaken the storm THAT much.  The characters seem to believe it, but they could be wrong.

It's not just the mountains. We have several characters who mention that storms are worst in the east and lessen in power as they travel west, which also helps Shinovar. If the Everstorm follows this pattern, it may actually be weakest on the Shattered Plains after this first time. Hard to tell since magic.

The Everstorms purpose might not even be to cause destruction in its first wave. Think about it, they did this with ~20,000 Parshendi. I think this was merely the first trickle designed to get a storm powerful enough to spread Odiums spren throughout Roshar so that he can infect every Parshman alive. I dont think it was meant to destroy the world or even last, merely to activate the sleeper cells spread throughout the planet.

Think what would happen if they all in sequence did it? it would likely be enough to wipe out all life on the planet because everytime it started to wane, they could reinfuse it.

Think about this: Western Roshar is almost nothing but mountains, and the Highstorms are still harsh as crap for Alethkar, shattered plains nd the such. Shinovar is almost completely unevolved to deal with the raging weather. It will be bad, imo. 

My prediction is that Rysn will somehow be important for some reason, because owning what I imagine will be the only other sample of shin grass. It's Chekov's gun. 

The Shin appear to be in real trouble. Their backfacing mountains are small and Highstorms are high level Continent Spanning Hurricanes. If the Everstorm gains that much power before hitting Shinovar they're gonna hurt. The Stormwall might slow the storm for everyone else, but Shinovar might lose it's soil pretty fast...

I also find it interesting that Denethil sailed west to weather a storm. They keep saying that the everstorm is new, but it's odd to me. Maybe Hoid was simply hinting at things to come...